jimmy17

What is a middleman in a drug deal?

What is considered a middleman in a drug deal? I was discussing with a friend what the term means. I believe its when say a buyer gives you money you go to a source, they give you drugs and you return the drugs to the person who gave you money. I also heard that it could be someone who had put a buyer and seller in contact and they made their own exchange. That can't be right because their would be no middleman if that were the case.

What is your definition of a middleman?

He who speaks Truth
    There are varying degrees of "middle men".

IMO your examples are pretty accurate.

On the street the middle man could just be the person who collects the money from the customer and gets the product from the dealer and brings it to the customer's location (assuming the middle man doesn't take off with the customer's money ).

On a higher level the middle man could be the one who receives the shipment/delivery from the supplier and cuts it for distribution to the local dealers.

There are many other examples but you get the main idea...
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Forum Member
    Middleman would be considered an agent. If you approach him, he will be clean. If he offers to get you drugs and you agree upon a price, and he goes away, comes back with the drugs, hands them to you and receives payment, he is the seller's agent, and therefor a seller himself. If, you hand him the cash first and he then gets the drugs for you, he is now your agent and no longer considered a seller. In New York the "agent of the buyer" defense to drug transactions was developed from civil law in the '70s.

born again firebrand
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32
    Middleman would be considered an agent. If you approach him, he will be clean. If he offers to get you drugs and you agree upon a price, and he goes away, comes back with the drugs, hands them to you and receives payment, he is the seller's agent, and therefor a seller himself. If, you hand him the cash first and he then gets the drugs for you, he is now your agent and no longer considered a seller. In New York the "agent of the buyer" defense to drug transactions was developed from civil law in the '70s.

I didn't realize this. So, how does this impact sentencing?
    Does 'agent of the buyer' defense get him off, lessen sentence???

I was on a jury last fall for a man who admitted doing/selling meth, but was contending HOW MUCH he'd been involved peddling, which rather surprised me. I guess I assumed if you sell--you sell. Go straight to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00. Period.
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/crimescen...UserCP&CODE=22

" From the hottest fire, the strongest steel is born. Dance not with the Phoenix, lest she burn you to the quick in an instant, yet none more desireable, both beautiful and terrible." ~~~ thx armoredman

http://www.authorsden.com/plreedwallinger
    www.rainbooks.com
    www.reedwriting.com

Forum Member
    In New York, if the defense is able to convince bthe jury that the 'agent" was working solely at the behest of the buyer and made no profit from the transaction, the defendant will walk. If the defendant is found to have buy money on him then there's a good chance for a conviction.

He who speaks Truth
    Dino,

That's interesting, I did not realize NY had such a defense...sounds kinda Liberal to me and I live in MA.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Forum Member
    As I said the defense was deveoped in the '70s, during a period of time when heroin addicts were being treated with methadone. The addicts would get their dose, take half with cheap wine and sell the other half. a number of defendants got off with the defense. The u/c teams were able to adapt their tactics and the defense is not seen as frequently any longer. Again, the defense really only works if the "agent" is totally clean after the sale.

jimmy17

ok

ok.. so for someone to be a middleman they need to be involved with the money or drugs. As for my second example someone say wants to buy a bag of weed and you tell them joe down the street is selling weed and you are are not involved in any other way. Then you would not be considered a middleman. Am I right?

We had a discussion about this in class today
    Last edited by jimmy17; 09-07-2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: realized

Banned

In a new car dealership when you go to buy a new car. The salesmen will
    take your offer/counter offer to the “Manager” to be approved and/or negotiated. He returns with the manager’s decision. You never see the “Manager” and only deal with the salesman. The salesman does the paperwork. takes your money, and delivers the product, but only by the authorization of the “Manager”. The salesman is the middleman and he will receive a cut/payment for the sale of the product. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The salesman/middleman does not own the product but he profits from the sale of the product. Therefore the salesman/middleman is a dealer.
    Last edited by Mano; 09-08-2006 at 04:55 AM.