Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Sig 229 vs. GLOCK 22

I hate to bring up a debate that has been well documented in a variety of places to include Police Officer forums, but I'm looking for some concrete answers.

In a nutshell, I'm being forced to pick between two fairly top notch pistols to use on duty - a Sig Sauer 229 (.40) and GLOCK 22 (.40). I have spent quite a lot of time with both and a variety of factors are swaying my opinion as I like certain aspects of both.

The pistol I choose will be a full time duty weapon through thick and thin with a lot of time outside. Honestly, I think both have pro's and con's and it might come down to, as many have pointed out, which one I simply feel more comfortable using (assuming ability to hit the target isn't a noteworthy difference).

Someone mentioned the comparison between Sig and GLOCK is similar to that of Mercedes and Chevrolet. Although I personally don't think the difference is that drastic when it comes down to quality craftsmanship and accuracy, I get the point that some people are very much "for" one while "against" another.

I'd like to get opinions from folks who have actually been in this dilemma, not just those who want to be "overly pro" or "overly con" for something just because they are limited only to "what they have always used" and wouldn't be able to offer an experienced educated opinion. I'm also not looking for answers without merit, such as the fact that that certain Government agencies use Sig 229's as the U.S. Government doesn't always make the best decisions and just because they picked it doesn't make it the best choice (the exception, of course, is if you have statistical data as to why they made this decision). I'm looking for comments on accuracy, ease of use, durability, holding comfort, wearing comfort, safety, likelihood of malfunction, and in the end - which would YOU choose if given the option and a blank check. Please only compare these two pistol as these are my only options and pointing out the pro’s of H&K or others won’t help.

Thanks in advance for your replies. Be safe.

Forum Member
    Shoot both, see which fits your hand best, which points most naturally and which one you can shoot best with (and hit your target). Pro's and con's are very easy to see, P229 is more concealable to a degree (not that you can't conceal a G22), and the G22 has a higher magazine capacity.

Either way, both guns are great and will serve you well. You have to factor in what is more important to you and what attributes you like best.

Personally, I own a SIG P-226 and GLOCK 22, the P-226 fits my hand much better and has a natural point-of-aim for me (so the P229 would be similar). The GLOCK 22 is not as comfortable and does not point naturally, especially when shooting under duress. For some it will point better depending on their hand size/structure.

My personal choice would most likely be the SIG if it is a P-229R. Better ergonomics for ME, better hit potential.

Shoot/handle both first...

Forum Member

I would take the Sig. I am not a fan of the unsupported chamber in the Glock. I also cannot stand the trigger on them. Out of all production semi's on the market I think only the Rugers and old S&W's have a worse trigger pull and reset. I think if someone doesn't shoot alot they might have a tougher time complaining about the trigger but that's just my two cents.

Forum Member

I'm a Glock guy. For me, it fits my hand much better than the Sig, points more naturally, etc. Everyone else has given pretty damn good advice. Shoot them both, if you can. Alot. If you can use a duty rig to practice drawing and firing both of them at a range, do it. Whichever draws and points most naturally for you is the one you need. Anyway, that's my two cents.

BR

Forum Member

No doubt it's personal preference. I had to give up my Kimber 1911 for a must carry G22 several years ago. Hated it at first. Ugly as sin, looked and still looks like a shoebox for sight picture. Square, plastic piece of crap is what I first thought. I've grown to love it. Simple, indestructible, dependable, and accurate. Great weapon. I even bought a G27 for off-duty carry. I hear Sig's are great as well. Shoot em' both a ton and go with what feels best.

Forum Member

real gun

I have shot both guns and I gotta tell ya, the Glock sucks! Actually I own both guns and the Glock stays locked away. I carry a P229 on and off duty, they are concealable; although a little heavy. Most accurate firing pistol that I have had my hands on. One thing to think about though is, what are your fellow officers carrying? One must think about interchangeablily and accessibility when it comes time to use it in a firefight. This is the main reason why some agencies issue handguns to their officers; in addition to uniformity.

My work is done here
    Concur with all the above...shoot them both and pick what is best for YOU.

I have the G22 as a duty weapon and love the feel of it while shooting. I have shot the Sig many times and never liked it all

to each their own I guess
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Does it look like I care?
    Whatever fits blah blah blah (is most important thing do).

BUT what sort of trigger are you looking at for the SIG? Is it DA/SA or DAK etc. I think that is also very very important in your choice.

I think in the end you can´t go wrong with either of them. Just shoot a lot with the one you end up with.

SoCal Expatriate
    I'm going to have to go with the Sig here. The 229 was designed for the 40 cal and then they happened to make a 9mm barrel for it also. The Glock was designed for 9mm and they put the "big block" 40 cal barrel in it. This means that the Glock really isn't up to the task of shooting this high pressure round for a lifetime like their 9mm version of the gun is.

AZDogs brings up the most important point and that is the fully supported barrel of the Sig. The Glock leaves a bit of the case exposed which can be very bad if you have a weak case or a badly loaded bullet.

The Glock has a tendancy to be able to fire out of battery when dirty. This is a very bad situation imho.

If I was buying a Glock it would only be in 9mm because 9mm Glocks are incredibly durable and reliable but the same can't be said with authority when speaking of 40 cal Glocks.

All this said, if you shoot the Glock better than the Sig then by all means buy the Glock because a gun that you can't hit the side of the barn with is a complicated and expensive paper weight.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Forum Member

I own one of each, and I currently carry the Sig. I like the Sig and I shoot better with it. On the other hand, I carried the Glock for several years and I feel an attachment to it. The Glock is gonna be a lot cheaper and it carries more rounds. However, I sacrificed a few rounds for a pistol which is more comfortable in my hand.

The only downside I have experienced with the Sig is it requires more maintenance. As someone pointed out, the action you choose for the Sig will effect how easily you get used to it. Mine is a 229R with the standard DA/SA action. Also, good luck trying to find leather for the Sig. I had one hell of a time trying to find a duty and off duty holster.

The finish on the Glock is more durable, but the Sig seems to have better quality overall.

Covman

Forum Member
    One shouldn't have a problem finding a duty holster for either gun, esp. if you're looking at something from Safariland (6280 etc.) or a concealment holster from any of the top manufacturers (Safariland, BlackHawk, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes, Mitch Rosen etc. etc. or el cheapos from Fobus). I prefer Kydex holsters for off-duty carry myself, I'm not a leather man really.

Enroute
    At one time I owned both. I preferred the sig But... I never had any jams with the Glock 22 or it's little brother the G27. I didn't like the feel of the Glock, but it beat the Sig for reliability. Niether one impressed me with the accuracy. Although I'm told that it's possible I got a bad Sig. But I'm unimpressed with the forty in general. I got to choose. I went with a .45 Ruger P345. It's my favorite by far.

Forum Member
    I beg to differ with the people here who say anything bad about a glock. My 23 is a beast. Its a great carry and duty weapon. I am issued the sig 229r dak in .357 sig and just like all sig weapons it likes to be nice and clean and well oiled to function perfectly. The glock on the other hand will function like a dream even if you never cleaned it once in a year. I shoot around 3000 rounds a month and have put both through the paces. As far as the people saying unsupprted chamber horse hockey take an armorers course from both manufacturers and they will tell you this is just hype like the same people that started bashing glock due to not being able to show up on x rays. well we all know where that went dont we. I am a firearms instructor as well as a certified range master and am certified armorer for both glock and sig and I love both weapons very much, hell I love all firearms. Sig is a great weapon and very accurate but you need to keep up with cleaning and keeping it oiled. In a perfect department but any one worth his salt as a firearms instructor knows our officers dont keep their firearms in the propper condition. the glock is a great weapon due to it being accurate and not needing too much tlc. I say whichever you feel the most accurate with. I hope you do not let others tell you that this gun is more accurate than the other. They are full of POO and need to rethink their abilaties as a marksman.

Forum Member

VanFuzz, I have yet to find a Sig that is "more accurate" than a Glock. Hell, Glocks have polygonal barrels, just like.....eeeeek, HK! If anything, this has more to do with things like the shooter and how the shooter deals with three major factors: the trigger, the sights, and how the sight picture is viewed. I personally don't care a whole heap for factory glock sights, I like three dot sights (night sights are great). I love the Sig P220 and P229. But I haven't been able to shoot the P220 better than the Glock 21. I HAVE been able to shoot the P229 better than the glock 23 at times.

I say compromise. Go with the Sig 2022. You'll love it. Accurate as all get-out and lighter than the classic line. Not to mention less expensive, although a slight big larger in the frame/slide than the P229. Great gun.

Forum Member

I carry a Glock 22 on duty(dept.issue/mandatory carry). I carry a Sig P229 .357 off duty. Both concealed and for uniformed armed security. I am a firearms instructor and Glock armorer. I personally like the Sig better. Fits better in the hand and I can shoot it better because I think it has a much better and smoother trigger. A Glock requires very little maint. I think Sig needs a little more. Not as much as you think though. The Glock is a great gun. But, the Sig is better. This includes shooting the Sig w/ a 40 barrel in it. My P229 is the traditional DA/SA. I feel better w/ the P229. These are my opinions. I think that is what you wanted, however you need to do is get what one you feel better about and practice w/ it!!! Stay safe.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomstik45
    VanFuzz, I have yet to find a Sig that is "more accurate" than a Glock. Hell, Glocks have polygonal barrels, just like.....eeeeek, HK! If anything, this has more to do with things like the shooter and how the shooter deals with three major factors: the trigger, the sights, and how the sight picture is viewed. I personally don't care a whole heap for factory glock sights, I like three dot sights (night sights are great). I love the Sig P220 and P229. But I haven't been able to shoot the P220 better than the Glock 21. I HAVE been able to shoot the P229 better than the glock 23 at times.

I say compromise. Go with the Sig 2022. You'll love it. Accurate as all get-out and lighter than the classic line. Not to mention less expensive, although a slight big larger in the frame/slide than the P229. Great gun.
    Ummmmmmm dont remember me saying that sig is " more accurate " than anything, please reread my post and i think you will see that we are saying a lot of the same things

Forum Member

Talking

but i will say that if you shoot one weapon better than the other you need to practice more with the one you are weeker with so that you excell at both

Forum Member

VAFUZZ, if you read my post again, you will see that I NEVER said that YOU said ANYTHING. I didn't even quote you. I simply used MY experiences to support what you said. I was in fact agreeing with you. The very last part of that post was addressed to the author of this thread. No harm meant, but I believe it is you who has misunderstood me. Based on my experience, I couldn't agree with you more. I've owned, shot, and carried a lot of the Sigs and Glocks. As for practicing with the weapons I'm weaker with, I do that if I intend to use them for anything (duty or social work). I don't own a glock 23 now, so I could care less if I'm not quite as good with it as I was with a P229. If I had one, I'd practice more. It's usually just a comfort thing or a one of the three factors I mentioned in my prior post. I use the weapons I'm good with and comfortable with. I simply WILL NOT carry anything that I don't excell with, off duty or on. That includes backup weapons, because it's stupid to use a backup weapon that you aren't proficient with....but too many of us do anyway...

Forum Member

But tell me this, VAFUZZ. Have you any experience with the Springfield XD? If so, how does it compare to the glock in your opinon? Your opinion doesn't count if you're a die-hard glock nut that won't even look at anything else, LOL!!

Forum Member

I think both are excelent guns, and in 9mm I'd take the Glock no problem...

In .40 S&W I would like a little more weight to the gun as its snappier, so I would go with the Sig...

Then again, you may not find a glock that snappy and like the way it shoots...

Get a case of ammo, go rent each gun, shoot a lot through each over a few range trips and find out what you like best over 1000 rounds and 3 or 4 trips to the range.

Forum Member

I think the SIg 229 would be a better choice.

True Blue
    Both are good choices. Doesn't matter which one you get, just practice, practice, practice. I think the glock is easier to maintain.
    I would get the 21C, instead of the 22.
    Make a decision, and don't look back. You will like whatever you decide.

North of the 8 cop

I'm issued a 9mm 229 for patrol use. I hate it for duty use. It would be better with a DAK trigger system though. The sig is way too small for me. It just doesnt fit my hand right. We got ours low bid.

It will make a decent weapon for carrying concealed.

Forum Member

Low bid. Happens like that a lot, don't it? That's how we ended up with the Glock 22, but I'm not complaining.

Forum Member
    Boomstick, I shot the xd very well but for some reason i dont like the way it feels in my hand. I like the weapon but it wont sit right in my hand.... dont know how to explain it but i do like it, just not for me ya know, maybe my meat hooks are just too big.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last