Forum Member

Question for SWAT, or similar...

As mentioned in another thread, I recently bought a gun for home protection as there have been a number of armed robberies, etc. in my apartment complex and around the area and my anxiety has just been growing and growing as each year it seems to get worse (perhaps just selective perception, but who knows).

It's the first gun I've ever owned as I've been afraid of firearms all my life, and to be totally honest I still am. I'm trying to practice at a local indoor range at least once a week so that I can get better and better and so I can use it confidently should it ever (g-d forbid) have to be used.

Now, with that said, I bought a pair of cheapie protective eyewear at the range the first time I went as I didn't know any better. I didn't realize that there are such things as bullet fragments and the like...

So after a few uses, yesterday I had a bullet fragment come back and hit me in what would have been my eye had I not been wearing glasses... it scared the hell out of me. I was shooting .357 magnum and I haven't a clue where the fragment actually came from... but it got me seriously thinking about protective eyewear.

Anyways, to make this long post a bit shorter, I'll get to the point. I was looking online at protective eyewear and I noticed Oakley sells shooting glasses? They claim that their glasses are used by SWAT people? The only reason I'd even consider Oakley despite the high price is that I imagine a company like that can't afford a bad PR incident so I'm guessing they're good quality... but that's why I came here to ask. What would you trust to consistently practice with? I figure that whatever the professionals trust, that's good enough for me, because at the end of the day if you lose an eye, it's a major career problem... so I'll bet you guys know what's best.

Thanks for any help you can offer and I hope my post is legible. It's been a long day and my brain is practically in power-save mode.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiDude
    As mentioned in another thread, I recently bought a gun for home protection as there have been a number of armed robberies, etc. in my apartment complex and around the area and my anxiety has just been growing and growing as each year it seems to get worse (perhaps just selective perception, but who knows).

It's the first gun I've ever owned as I've been afraid of firearms all my life, and to be totally honest I still am. I'm trying to practice at a local indoor range at least once a week so that I can get better and better and so I can use it confidently should it ever (g-d forbid) have to be used.

Now, with that said, I bought a pair of cheapie protective eyewear at the range the first time I went as I didn't know any better. I didn't realize that there are such things as bullet fragments and the like...

So after a few uses, yesterday I had a bullet fragment come back and hit me in what would have been my eye had I not been wearing glasses... it scared the hell out of me. I was shooting .357 magnum and I haven't a clue where the fragment actually came from... but it got me seriously thinking about protective eyewear.

Anyways, to make this long post a bit shorter, I'll get to the point. I was looking online at protective eyewear and I noticed Oakley sells shooting glasses? They claim that their glasses are used by SWAT people? The only reason I'd even consider Oakley despite the high price is that I imagine a company like that can't afford a bad PR incident so I'm guessing they're good quality... but that's why I came here to ask. What would you trust to consistently practice with? I figure that whatever the professionals trust, that's good enough for me, because at the end of the day if you lose an eye, it's a major career problem... so I'll bet you guys know what's best.

Thanks for any help you can offer and I hope my post is legible. It's been a long day and my brain is practically in power-save mode.

Oakley is one of the more common brands you will find in law enforcement. One major reason for this is that they get a nice discount. I have a set of the shooting array in the blade style. I think the retail on them was around $250 and I know I paid $105 for them. That was for the three lenses, frame and carry case. I do alot of shooting and don't see any difference between the $15 Beretta brand glasses I purchased from a local sportsman's shop and the Oakley's. Unless you plan on shooting in numerous lighting and weather conditions I wouldn't reccomend shelling out the big bucks for the array. I think any branded set of designed shooting saftey glasses will suffice. Others will have their prefence and opinion but that is mine.

If you are just planning to shoot at the range any clear protective eyewear will be fine. There is no need to shell out the money for Oakley's.

Group 29
    Go to Home Depot. You can get a fine set of protective eyewear for $3-5 dollars that will suit your purposes fine.

But, never shoot without eye and ear protection.

Forum Member
    Out of curiosity, what are the popular brands among LEO's?

And also, is it possible to get a pair of protective glasses that also double as my regular sunglasses? That would be kind of nifty.

Or is that getting back into the Oakley offerings? The price tag seems a bit stiff for the Oakleys $190. I mean, if I knew I was getting every dollar's worth, I'd buy it no problem.... but I have to wonder how much of that is pure profit to Oakley as the result of their strong brand image.

I've never owned anything Oakley because I think they're overrated and too expensive.... this is the first time I even ever considered it.

Are their other brands where the glasses can double for sunglasses?

Also, are their shooting glasses that will stay clear in darkness, and then get a smoked finish when in the sunlight? I've seen regular prescription glasses do that.

Forum Member
    Out of curiosity, what are the popular brands among LEO's?

And also, is it possible to get a pair of protective glasses that also double as my regular sunglasses? That would be kind of nifty.

Or is that getting back into the Oakley offerings? The price tag seems a bit stiff for the Oakleys $190. I mean, if I knew I was getting every dollar's worth, I'd buy it no problem.... but I have to wonder how much of that is pure profit to Oakley as the result of their strong brand image.

I've never owned anything Oakley because I think they're overrated and too expensive.... this is the first time I even ever considered it.

Are their other brands where the glasses can double for sunglasses?

Also, are their shooting glasses that will stay clear in darkness, and then get a smoked finish when in the sunlight? I've seen regular prescription glasses do that.

If you want the options like lens colors and doubling as sunglasses then you will have to go with a shooting array. You can get the M frame or the jackets. The array comes with gray, clear and a quasi polarized (not really polarized) rainbow exterior lens. These are not the same as sunglasses altho the lenses look the same. So you could order the array and then get a sunglass lens only to go with them.

Again, if I didn't get the discount I got I would not buy these glasses. You are paying too much for the name and unless you shoot competition or a whole lot they are just not worth the money. I am however happy with the quality of them.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzDogs
    If you want the options like lens colors and doubling as sunglasses then you will have to go with a shooting array. You can get the M frame or the jackets. The array comes with gray, clear and a quasi polarized (not really polarized) rainbow exterior lens. These are not the same as sunglasses altho the lenses look the same. So you could order the array and then get a sunglass lens only to go with them.

Again, if I didn't get the discount I got I would not buy these glasses. You are paying too much for the name and unless you shoot competition or a whole lot they are just not worth the money. I am however happy with the quality of them.
    well $190 for Oakleys. For the same price I can get both a pair of good "regular" shooting glasses in clear and smoked, and a pair of new sunglasses for regular usage.... nice ones too. It sounds like Oakleys aren't the way to go, but I'll give it some thought.

Thanks for the advice.

Forum Member
    well $190 for Oakleys. For the same price I can get both a pair of good "regular" shooting glasses in clear and smoked, and a pair of new sunglasses for regular usage.... nice ones too. It sounds like Oakleys aren't the way to go, but I'll give it some thought.
    For the purpose you're discussing, I think that might be your best bet. I have some Bolle glasses that I got for wear on the range. They're similar to the Oakleys in that they have the switchable lenses, but the reason I got them is because they also take a prescription insert. They were well over $200, though.

For ust eye protection, the Home Depot stuff is all you need. In fact, the goggles you'll get there are probably better, because they will be sturdier and have more wraparound protection. The stylish sunglasses/shooting glasses have a much cooler look, but unless the lenses are polycarbonate, the protection they offer might not be enough in a pinch.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Forum Member
    I wear the Oakleys which sound the same as you describe them.

They are supplied for my division by the dept so for cost I can't comment on, personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of glasses since I usually end up losing them.

However, these are decent because the package has several different lenses which can be fitted. I've found them very good. I will warn you though, if you take out the lenses, have patience putting them back in the case and having everything fit properly. Right now I just change them as I go

A agree with the Home Depot answer. I've always used the cheap ones and I've never had any problems.

Another thing to keep in mind is you should wear a ball cap with a brim when you shoot. Hot brass has been known to come back and hit the shooter in the face, and it can fall down behind the shooting goggles. I know, I've actually had this happen. My department requires us to wear a ball cap when shooting.

Forum Member
    Last time I wore a ball cap was somewhere around 1994. I don't even wear a ball-cap when I go to ball-games... I'm not really a hat guy. Out of curiosity, why are you required to wear a ball cap when shooting? Are you shooting outdoors or something?

The only ball cap I'd consider wearing while shootin would be this incredibly stylish one:
    http://www.prescotthats.com/images/p...r-ball-cap.jpg

- the Home Depot idea is pretty good. I'll have to remember to look for them next time I go to Home Depot. I'm going to avoid making a special trip there for glasses, because knowing me I'll also end up buying a whole bunch of tools that I really don't need.....

Forum Member
    I don't know what happened. I asked the people at the range if that's normal and he said that sometimes when bullets fragment, small pieces might go in various directions, and occasionally a fragment might bounce all the way back from the end of the range to the beginning if it doesn't go into the trap.

Seemed messed up to me. At first I thought a piece of my gun had blown off... chipping or something... but I inspected the gun and it looks fine... so the only other option was that it was a bullet fragment. All the spent casings were intact... so it wasn't a piece of one of them either. I looked around for whatever hit my glasses but I couldn't find it. So I'm having to assume it was a bullet fragment, unless there is a better explanation?

Something came back and hit my glasses.... hard.....

As for being afraid of firearms, I'm practicing to try to get used to them. I'll get over it.... I'm sure.

Group 29
    Out of curiosity, why are you required to wear a ball cap when shooting? .....
    I used to ask that question as well, until a hot piece of brass arced down and lodged between my shooting glasses and my forehead. I don't think my muzzle control was perfect as I hurried to get it out.

Forum Member
    owwww..... ball cap for me too then I suppose.

. I'm not really a hat guy. Out of curiosity, why are you required to wear a ball cap when shooting?
    Yes, I shoot outside. When hot brass comes back and hits you in the forehead it can fall down inside your goggles. Ouch.

Forum Member
    Owwwwwwwww