Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

Question AR-15's What to get?

Hey I am pretty new to the sight and looking for a little direction. I am thinking of getting an AR-15 to eventually use in my patrol car. Any suggestions on what to get and what not to get. I am not overally familiar with the guns so please "egukate" me.
    "The harder you work the easier it gets."

Forum Member

If money is no object....

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-de...TOKEN=30970631

Everything you will need.
    "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Forum Member
    For the most part stick with Bushmaster Colt RRA Armalite and DPMS. Like with everything else some are partial to this brand and others had nothing but problems with that brand. I would also suggest getting a flattop.(A3) I bought a Bushmaster and have had really good luck with it.

Forum Member

Whatever your wife will allow you to purchace...

Clam Cop
    I have a Bushmaster C15M4. It has a carbon fiber receiver, the gun is very light, reliable and accurate and I'm very happy with it. I've seen officer pricing around $800 on a couple of sites.

More cowbell!
    All you need is a stock AR and add the basics: light, night sites, and sling. Your weapon will shoot just as well as the ones with a couple of thosand dollars worth of bling bling. "Iron sites will rule the world."

GJ
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

A Legend In My Own Mind

Quote Originally Posted by wardensedge
    I am thinking of getting an AR-15 to eventually use in my patrol car. Any suggestions on what to get and what not to get.
    Get yourself a Mini-14 and use the several hundred dollars you save to upgrade the mini where it will vastly out perform an AR-15.

TPO
    Forum Member

by the time you're finished upgrading your mini to shoot as good as a bone stock AR, you'll probably have spent enough to buy 4 ARs.

Forum Member

Honestly a lot of the comments are pretty truthful. I'd look at other agencies and what they're carrying on patrol. Also see who gives the officer discount. I know that GT Distributors out of Austin, TX and Atlanta, GA gives those discounts for L.E.O's My personal choice is the RRA 16" DEA model that I bought used from a civilian. I paid $1100 for the rifle, rear flip-up sight, EOTech, Surefire quad rail and I put a Vertical grip and sling on it. 3000 rounds later it's been GREAT! If you were closer I'd say come on over and shoot both my RRA and my Bushmaster 16" and you'd like the RRA better. Try them out and see what feels best for ya.
    <font color=blue size=3>EXTXDPSCAMARO</font>
    <font color=crimson>Born and raised Texan!</font>

Forum Member

I would recommend you check your agency's policy before buying one. While I was in the military and aspiring to work for Dallas PD when I got out, I bought a top of the line LMT with all the bells and whistles. Well, I got out and during my academy time I was instructed that DPD only approves Colt or RRA's. So in the end, my "dream-rifle" was sold and I had to wait to pick up a RRA entry tactical. I will say that my 900.00 RRA is more accurate than my 1500.00 LMT. Lucky for me, LMT only sales direct to LEO's and Military so there's a market adjustment in the civilian market.

Definately visit www.ar15.com, you'll obtain a vast amount of knowledge and links to dealers selling at rediculously low prices. When I was looking there was a dealer in NH selling brand-new RRA's in the $700.00 range.

Forum Member

Ar-15

Quote Originally Posted by wardensedge
    Hey I am pretty new to the sight and looking for a little direction. I am thinking of getting an AR-15 to eventually use in my patrol car. Any suggestions on what to get and what not to get. I am not overally familiar with the guns so please "egukate" me.
    I sell Rock River Arms as well as other brand AR's and find the RRA to be about as good as you can get. The most popular for LE is the Tactical Entry or the Tactical Car. Get a chome lined barrel if you are going to shoot it a lot. I like Aimpioint sights, particularly the new models because of their 50,000 hr. battery life. Pentagon light is now making a good affordable tac light for AR's.

No Longer Active

Alot of departments are issuing the M-4

I don't know what they cost

Long guns get in the way

They only make me carry one gun and that is all I am gonna carry. My department will GIVE me an M-4 and I won;t take one. Why are you willing to buy one with your own money?

Senior Veteran

If you can not see the advantage to having a rifle as an alternative to your duty side arm, you really, really need some education.

I guess you never saw the North Hollywood Bank shoot out, or any other number of officer involved shooting to where having a patrol rifle would have been useful.

To say that you only want to carry your duty sidearm is pretty indicative of how naive you are. Please explain how a long gun "gets in the way".
    Steve

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA
    If you can not see the advantage to having a rifle as an alternative to your duty side arm, you really, really need some education.

I guess you never saw the North Hollywood Bank shoot out, or any other number of officer involved shooting to where having a patrol rifle would have been useful.

To say that you only want to carry your duty sidearm is pretty indicative of how naive you are. Please explain how a long gun "gets in the way".
    We have plenty of shotguns and rifles on the street. I don't want some stupid M-4 hanging off my neck if I have to go hands on with somebody. I'd rather let some other idiot play GI-Joe
    Yes, I have seen the North Holywood video
    And don;t call me naive, Junior

Forum Member
    There will always be a few that don't understand the concept, and that is fine. On my dept. we have some "non-gun guys" issued AR's and it is a waste. I wouldn't want them to deploy them because I fear for their ability. An AR in the PROPER hands can be one of the greatest advantages ever. So, for more info than you will ever need, I second AR15.com. Again, wait to see what you are allowed to have, but get yourself educated now.
    Here is mine. A RRA Elite CAR A4, EOTech, ARMS rear sight, Samson rail system, Tango Down VG. (This pic is old, my light and a few other things has changed)

Last edited by dogcop; 07-24-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by My Gluttony
    We have plenty of shotguns and rifles on the street. I don't want some stupid M-4 hanging off my neck if I have to go hands on with somebody. I'd rather let some other idiot play GI-Joe
    Yes, I have seen the North Holywood video
    And don;t call me naive, Junior
    Good for you because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Remember that the next time some guy is taking shots at you from farther than you can shoot with your sidearm. Oh yeah, I forgot.......you'll be looking "cool"

When I called you naive, I was being nice. Junior.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; 07-25-2006 at 02:29 AM.
    Steve

Forum Member
    We are getting off topic but if someone doesn't want to take a rifle on patrol don't. That way the rifle may get into the hands of someone that will actually use it. We have a few in the hands of people that let the rifle sit in a locker until they need to qualify with it and then it goes back in the locker.

I don't see how having a rifle is playing GI-Joe though????

Forum Member
    I WISH they gave us rifles... it definitely wouldnt sit in a locker! we only have roughly 1 per shift in uniform patrol... and whatever SWAT guys that arent in patrol have them.

"Retired"
    Our dept has Colt Commandos (11.5" Ar-15s) in every patrol unit and about 20 officers issued 20" AR-15 w/ Leupold CQTs on the Patrol Rifle Team. A few months ago, Morning Watch ofcrs were confronted by a carjacking suspect armed with a Remington 870 12 gauge loaded w/00 buck. The ARs were absolutely an asset and the suspect was KIA.

Forum Member
    The courthouse shooter in Tyler, TX was also finally dispatched with well-placed rifle fire from a Sgt with an AR-15. The "need" is no longer debatable.

Go to AR15.com. It's a wealth of information.

I would say that there IS a difference between Colt and Bushmaster, etc... The difference is better materials used, and better features (albeit small ones.) Is it worth the money? Not to me. Not when there are manufacturers like CMMG (www.cmmginc.com) out of Missouri who make a rifle on-par with what Colt is putting out.

A few of the specs found on Colt and CMMG rifles: 4150 steel barrels instead of 4140, anodized extended feed ramps, T-marked receivers, optional M16 carriers at no add'l charge, M4 handguards, and other less significant things.

My CMMG rifle (bought the upper and lower separately to save the excise tax) cost less than my Bushmasters with LE pricing. Go to their website, and check out all the options you can go with straight from the factory. It's amazing!

ETA: Two things I would advise about buying an AR-15. Pick the upper receiver and barrel you REALLY want, because those are the hardest things to change down the road without a gunsmith or special tools. I would recommend an A3 (flattop) upper receiver, and an M4 profile, chrome-lined barrel. RRA is a great company, but they scrimp on their barrels, leaving them in the heavy profile (which is cheaper to make.) That adds a pound of weight to the rifle that is un-needed. RRA also doesn't standardize on chrome-lining. It is an option you have to specify (pay more for.) I'd also recommend a 1/7 twist barrel instead of 1/9, but that's not as big a deal as the first two recs (1/7 is for heavier bullets: 69gr, 75gr, 77gr, etc...)
    Last edited by jwise; 07-30-2006 at 06:13 PM.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

TPO
    Forum Member

i've used all those fancy eotechs, and stuff hanging off the rails. after using all that mess, i'm just not a fan of clutter. this is my favorite rifle for duty use. a bushmaster M4A2 with a 14.5" barrel. i don't think i could work for an agency that doesn't allow rifles. it just makes too much sense to have one.

Last edited by TPO; 07-31-2006 at 01:03 AM.

Forum Member
    Eotechs and lights allow the user to identify and engage targets in low-light. As I operate mostly in the "dark" hours of the day, I use them. If I worked days, I might forego the "accessories."
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

Group 29
    I've always thought law enforcement has done it backwards. I think we should have been alway been issuing long guns as primary weapons, and only giving handguns out to those who wanted them.

Like Andy Griffith did it.

I know I love my AR.

Forum Member

I highly recommend the Bushmaster Ar-15 Patrolman's carbine, with the 6 postion colablsable stock. We have them issued at our Pd and there are sweet guns, Bushmaster's service center is also great to work with. I can't say enought good things about bushmaster, plus there made in Maine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My Gluttony
    Alot of departments are issuing the M-4

I don't know what they cost

Long guns get in the way

They only make me carry one gun and that is all I am gonna carry. My department will GIVE me an M-4 and I won;t take one. Why are you willing to buy one with your own money?
    Take the rifle. A pistol is just what you use to fight your way back to a real gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last