Forum Member

Psychological testing for Corrections

I just got offered a correction officer position today, contingent on a psychological test, drug test and a physical. The only thing I need advice on is the Psyc test.

How am I to answer the questions? I know you need to be honest, obviously, however I know people that were honest and did not get the job.

I have only taken 1 test, and it was 200 questions, such as: Have you ever been drunk? Have you ever stolen a pen? Have ever wanted to punch a wall?
    So one and so on. Don't know what came about the results though.

Do they want you to answer these questions like you are perfect, or that you are human?

Im not trying to find a way beat the system for a job. I just need input.

The conditional offer is for a Wisconsin County that I have been trying to get into. Now that this opportunity is so close to reach, I don't want to screw up.

BTW, no Im not nuts!
    Come visit our city on vacation, leave on Probation!

Liberal Libertarian???
    The one I took was 566 questions. Asked pretty much the same thing. When I was talking to the other CO's about it they were like, "It's not to tell if you are nuts, its more of a measure of how nuts you are."
    Just answer the questions honestly as the doctor knows when your trying to fudge the truth (i.e. trying to make yourself sound like a saint).

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel
    I just got offered a correction officer position today, contingent on a psychological test, drug test and a physical. The only thing I need advice on is the Psyc test.

How am I to answer the questions? I know you need to be honest, obviously, however I know people that were honest and did not get the job.

I have only taken 1 test, and it was 200 questions, such as: Have you ever been drunk? Have you ever stolen a pen? Have ever wanted to punch a wall?

Do they want you to answer these questions like you are perfect, or that you are human?

The conditional offer is for a Wisconsin County that I have been trying to get into. Now that this opportunity is so close to reach, I don't want to screw up.

BTW, no Im not nuts!
    I am not sure what to tell you. If the job is working in a jail, maybe they want to hire the guys who FAIL the test

Forum Member

I didnt have to take a psychological test but if they asked me them questions my answers would be like this.

Have you ever been drunk? Yes every day I have off since I have been working for the state.

Have you ever stolen a pen? Yes alot of them.

Have ever wanted to punch a wall? Everyday

Forum Member
    they are looking at how consistant you answer the questions, and if you have a predisposition for violent behavior. If you answer the questions truthfully and do not exaggerate you should be fine, just be yourself that is unless you drink alcohol everyday and often feel like you want to hit a wall,then in that case you must lie a little.

goodluck,
    matmladin

Forum Member

Just answer honestly...they know that everyone has had thoughts about beating someone up, or has punched a wall, or resents their parents for something or other.

If you don't answer these honestly they will know you are either lying your butt off or your Amish

Now, pardon me while I finish this bottle of scotch, beat the hell out of the kitchen wall and hide the case of pens I grabbed out of the supply closet

Forum Member

I took the test today. It consisted of 560 questions. Very simple but repetitive. Most questions were asked like 15 different ways. I guess It was ok. Hopefully Im still their ideal candidate. Thanks for the tips....

F.L.E.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel

BTW, no Im not nuts!
    They are looking more for consistency, I know when I took mine for the state of WV in 2004, 2 weeks after the written test we took a verbal, and they asked around about the same questions. They are looking for honesty and consistency more then anything.
    "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight"

- General George Patton Jr

Forum Member

Update

Well I took the psyc exam. Test consisted of 580 questions. After I was done my brain was fried But I passed

Now I go back in on the 18th of this month for a follow up test, drug test and physical. Then I have to sit down with a psycologist on the 28th, to do what, I don't know. I was told that come september 6th I will receive the final offer, then I can put in my notice here. I so can't wait.

Thanks to all for the advise, it really helped

not me!

When I tested and passed, I bragged that I could finally PROVE I was sane. After hearing about what I deal with on the job, people think it's been proven that I'm just insane enough to work here.

Forum Member

My SO has recently started making applicants taking psych tests again. I had to take one when hired in 2000, but shortly after that they stopped giving the tests because of the cost.

I tell my coworkers that they should make us retake that test annually because some of us probably wouldn't pass it after working there for a while. Not that I want to go through that again, but it would be interesting to see the results!!