Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    No Longer Active

State Troopers vs. City Police

I have been closely following all avenues of law enforcement so I will know which area I want to go into upon graduatation in August. I have already gotten accepted by the Dallas PD and a smaller sheriffs department. I am still waiting on my application with the Texas DPS and right now I would much rather take a Trooper spot over a city police officer for a number of reasons..

I have interned with 2 big city PD departments and the DPS.. From what I have seen city pd does get into action, but they have 10 officers to back them up and they rarely if ever get into something that will make any kind of an impact (unless they are in CID). Family violence calls are usually a man hitting his wife but its the detectives that get things done for the woman. The uniformed cops just take him to jail. Plus the number of pointless 911 hangups, fireworks going off, etc take up too much of their time.

The Troopers however, seem to have a wide range of activity they can go into. On my shifts, the Troopers filled in for a sheriffs department that was understaffed and had a major drug problem, arrested prostitutes and johns by a truck stop that resulted in a few felony arrests including one for sex assault and the sergeant stopped a truck that was carrying dope and illegal aliens in the same load. Although I have not personally been involved in a hot pursuit, the Troopers get the bulk of them since many of them leave city limits. Furthermore, they do not usually have the luxury of having backup 3 minutes away. At least in the Central Texas area, most of the Troopers were much more fit then the city boys and during one incident where they backed up a city unit, they outran both overweight officers and ended up catching THEIR suspect for them.

It is interesting to see all the Trooper bashing I see on here when indeed the Troopers have more advanced degrees than the average police department, must pass a fitness examine if they want to promote up and are generally more active with real calls other than 911 hangups. I am not bashing on city cops since I have met very respectable and active ones, but am unimpressed with the FBI, state police anything-other-than-city-police bashing I have heard while at the city PD and on these message boards.
    Last edited by TexasLaw; 07-04-2006 at 11:09 PM.

Forum Member
    Whats your point.
    Future Farva

Forum Member
    Meh, while I don't know the Texas DPS and I've heard they're a respectable organization I'd rather have a city cop over a trooper, atleast here, anyday. Not trying to start a ****ing match, troopers are good at what they do, but here the bulk of their activities are traffic citations and wrecks.

All I can say is .................... go Trooper!

But from what you wrote, I think you are leaning that way already.

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLaw
    I have been closely following all avenues of law enforcement so I will know which area I want to go into upon graduatation in August. I have already gotten accepted by the Dallas PD and a smaller sheriffs department. I am still waiting on my application with the Texas DPS and right now I would much rather take a Trooper spot over a city police officer for a number of reasons..

I have interned with 2 big city PD departments and the DPS.. From what I have seen city pd does get into action, but they have 10 officers to back them up and they rarely if ever get into something that will make any kind of an impact (unless they are in CID). Family violence calls are usually a man hitting his wife but its the detectives that get things done for the woman. The uniformed cops just take him to jail. Plus the number of pointless 911 hangups, fireworks going off, etc take up too much of their time.

The Troopers however, seem to have a wide range of activity they can go into. On my shifts, the Troopers filled in for a sheriffs department that was understaffed and had a major drug problem, arrested prostitutes and johns by a truck stop that resulted in a few felony arrests including one for sex assault and the sergeant stopped a truck that was carrying dope and illegal aliens in the same load. Although I have not personally been involved in a hot pursuit, the Troopers get the bulk of them since many of them leave city limits. Furthermore, they do not usually have the luxury of having backup 3 minutes away. At least in the Central Texas area, most of the Troopers were much more fit then the city boys and during one incident where they backed up a city unit, they outran both overweight officers and ended up catching THEIR suspect for them.

It is interesting to see all the Trooper bashing I see on here when indeed the Troopers have more advanced degrees than the average police department, must pass a fitness examine if they want to promote up and are generally more active with real calls other than 911 hangups. I am not bashing on city cops since I have met very respectable and active ones, but am unimpressed with the FBI, state police anything-other-than-city-police bashing I have heard while at the city PD and on these message boards.
    What about hats? Do the troopers have cooler hats

Are you aware of the Freemason/JFK Assassination/Dallas PD connection back in 1963?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by My Gluttony
    What about hats? Do the troopers have cooler hats

Are you aware of the Freemason/JFK Assassination/Dallas PD connection back in 1963?
    Cooler hats? Only if you're a cowboy.

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Cooler hats? Only if you're a cowboy.

Cowboy?

Like Brokeback Mountain Cowboys?

Stranger with good candy
    Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Meh, while I don't know the Texas DPS and I've heard they're a respectable organization I'd rather have a city cop over a trooper, atleast here, anyday. Not trying to start a ****ing match, troopers are good at what they do, but here the bulk of their activities are traffic citations and wrecks.
    agreed here. From a busy as hell city cops view, you could have working highway wrecks and writing speeders day in/day out.
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Forum Member

the mighty troopers

I'm a city cop and would much rather be a city cop then a trooper....but if you had to make the money choice and the best dress choice it would have to be the RI State Police....Unbelievable uniforms and they want for nothing state of the art everything............

Forum Member
    i HATE being on traffic stops on the interstate here.....vvvvvvVVVVVVVVVVVVROOOOOOOOOOMmmmm....... vvvvvVVVVVVVVVVROOOOOOOOOMMMMmmmmmm

god that **** gets aggravating could never be a trooper.
    Future Farva

Rookie
    I may be a rookie so can some explain to me what "real" police calls are?

Every area of law enforcement is different, it is not a better or worse situation, just whatever suits you better.

Forum Member
    Oh and by the way:

I am not bashing on city cops
    Yes you are.
    Future Farva

Forum Member
    Ah, yes...to be young and ready to save the whole world. All by yourself. With one hand tied behind your back. In the first month you're on the street.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

No Longer Active

traffic and wrecks.. thats funny.. they get into plenty more shootouts than city cops... there's only about 3000 of them in the State and they are constantly on the News regarding shootouts at the border or after a "traffic stop"... cities like Dallas wont even allow pursuits now unless its for a felony warrant.. Troopers are allowed to chase anything and are one of the few larger agencies allowed to shoot out tires when the need arises. A city cop gets work handed to him, a good Trooper will have to FIND work and action. A crappy one will run traffic all day.. Dallas PD sounds good for a few years to learn the ropes before joining DPS, but the politics in that department suck...

Forum Member

Granted, I may only be a college student and not a LEO -

...but this seems rather petty. If you enjoy the trooper scene more, than there you have it. Troopers and city police are both very necessary and they both complement each other.

Can we leave it at that?

Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
    You simply cannot go to a thread without trying to hijack it can you? By the way kid, he's a full sack of wine, he doesn't really contribute much good on this forum.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
    Here's my question for you TexasLaw: If you already knew you were so Gung Ho for the DPS, why did you even waste the Dallas PD's time by going through the hiring process with them? Yet another spot wasted which could have gone to someone who really wanted the job.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

More cowbell!
    traffic and wrecks.. thats funny.. they get into plenty more shootouts than city cops... there's only about 3000 of them in the State and they are constantly on the News regarding shootouts at the border or after a "traffic stop"... cities like Dallas wont even allow pursuits now unless its for a felony warrant.. Troopers are allowed to chase anything and are one of the few larger agencies allowed to shoot out tires when the need arises. A city cop gets work handed to him, a good Trooper will have to FIND work and action. A crappy one will run traffic all day.. Dallas PD sounds good for a few years to learn the ropes before joining DPS, but the politics in that department suck...

Here is a person who has no clue. Based on your "thoughts" you will make a good Trooper. It's no wonder why Troopers across the nation have the same reputation

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Hawkeye Pride
    Being a "city cop", formerly from a Sheriff's Office, I've had plenty of interaction with Texas DPS. Here's my opinion, on the whole they're just as professional as any other department-no more no less. That being said...

traffic and wrecks.. thats funny.. they get into plenty more shootouts than city cops... there's only about 3000 of them in the State and they are constantly on the News regarding shootouts at the border or after a "traffic stop".
    Do you even know what you're talking about? What is your source? Exactly how many Troopers work in "border counties", do you even know? Are you just getting into LE to get into a "shootout"? Get a life kid.
    cities like Dallas wont even allow pursuits now unless its for a felony warrant.. Troopers are allowed to chase anything and are one of the few larger agencies allowed to shoot out tires when the need arises.
    So shootouts and chases, how often do you think that happens as opposed to alarm/911 hang-ups/traffic accidents/etc. happen? You need to really stop watching Cops and World's Wildest Police Videos if you think that's all we do. What they don't show is the mountain of paperwork that goes along with all those shootouts and chases. You must have had some pretty crappy internships.
    A city cop gets work handed to him, a good Trooper will have to FIND work and action. A crappy one will run traffic all day..
    Really? Again, you've got a crappy source and had crappy internships. I really feel sorry for you because if you do get into LE, you're going to be very disappointed.
    Dallas PD sounds good for a few years to learn the ropes before joining DPS, but the politics in that department suck.
    Then why the hell did you apply in the first place! You just wasted hours of an investigators' time that could have been spent on someone who wants to work there, not to mention their department money and resources. Personally, I hope someone on here who works at DPD figures out who you are and *****cans your application. If by some miracle you get accepted to DPS, I hope you get stuck out in west Texas where the cows outnumber the people 50 to 1, big action, kid. What a disgrace.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Totally blown away, and in TOTAL AWE of your superb research and fantastic perspective on this subject matter...

FWIW: Most of the Troopers I've known have practically done everything SHORT of jumping calls in the cities and counties where I've worked, so I know they are REALLY busy with catching crooks on their own turf (at least these guys aren't ticket hungry, just action hungry)... Also I do hope you realize that your "internships" were nothing more than being an observer of what they deemed to be "safe", thus you were NEVER REALLY fully exposed to the REAL job anyway!!

I think somebody else said this, but it is also a pet peeve of mine!! Why in the HELL did you waste EVERYBODY's time at DPD if you KNEW you wanted DPS?? That's what I call a JOB TROLL!! You just want a badge and a gun and don't really care where... which probably means you don't care WHY either!!

And to repeat somebody else... GET A LIFE KID!!

(You should have asked someone's ADVICE before making/doing some of these things...maybe during one of your "internships"... what a joke!!)

Sorry, hate to dis' on you, but see the first sentence above...

No Longer Active

This kid might be on to something

From what I hear about Dallas PD, most guys do 20-25 years without ever getting into a physical confrontation, nor do they ever make a felony arrest. I hear Dallas is a quiet little town and I hear the same thing about Houston. Once you get about 20 miles outside those city limits, now that is where the real crime happens because the criminals like to hide behind catuses (or is that cacti?) and tumbleweeds

Hawkeye Pride
    What about hats? Do the troopers have cooler hats?
    They wear Stetson felt cowboy hats-required upon exit of the vehicle.
    You really should go find a life somewhere outside of Mason conspiracy websites. It's getting old. Before you ask-no, I'm not a Mason.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Hawkeye Pride
    This kid might be on to something

From what I hear about Dallas PD, most guys do 20-25 years without ever getting into a physical confrontation, nor do they ever make a felony arrest. I hear Dallas is a quiet little town and I hear the same thing about Houston. Once you get about 20 miles outside those city limits, now that is where the real crime happens because the criminals like to hide behind catuses (or is that cacti?) and tumbleweeds
    I hope you're kidding. And yes, it's cacti. Furthermore (off the subject), I've been here since 1987 and have never seen a tumbleweed in Texas. First one I saw was in eastern Colorado.
    Last edited by edg103; 07-05-2006 at 08:12 AM.
    Ronald Reagan

More cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT Sniper
    Totally blown away, and in TOTAL AWE of your superb research and fantastic perspective on this subject matter...

Hey, hey, hey, wait a second......he did say he "interned" for two departments!

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by edg103
    Being a "city cop", formerly from a Sheriff's Office, I've had plenty of interaction with Texas DPS. Here's my opinion, on the whole they're just as professional as any other department-no more no less. That being said...

Do you even know what you're talking about? What is your source? Exactly how many Troopers work in "border counties", do you even know? Are you just getting into LE to get into a "shootout"? Get a life kid.

So shootouts and chases, how often do you think that happens as opposed to alarm/911 hang-ups/traffic accidents/etc. happen? You need to really stop watching Cops and World's Wildest Police Videos if you think that's all we do. What they don't show is the mountain of paperwork that goes along with all those shootouts and chases. You must have had some pretty crappy internships.

Really? Again, you've got a crappy source and had crappy internships. I really feel sorry for you because if you do get into LE, you're going to be very disappointed.

Then why the hell did you apply in the first place! You just wasted hours of an investigators' time that could have been spent on someone who wants to work there, not to mention their department money and resources. Personally, I hope someone on here who works at DPD figures out who you are and *****cans your application. If by some miracle you get accepted to DPS, I hope you get stuck out in west Texas where the cows outnumber the people 50 to 1, big action, kid. What a disgrace.
    The governor sent Troopers to the border to help back up the officers down there. As far as shootouts.. They rarely happen.. BUT the dps doesnt deal with 911 hangups etc..

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last