Like Tree7837Likes

Thread: CBP officer

Forum Member

CBP officer

Has anyone else out there taken the recent CBP test, a little over a month ago? I got my NOR yesterday, and scored nice N high, but it didnt say anything about the rest of the process. Does anyone know whats next, like next steps, timelines ect?

Do I get paid for this?
    I just got my test scores from that test. I'm pretty sure we're in for a long wait. Your next step is to wait for your TO from one of the duty locations you picked.
    Federal_pointman likes this.

Waiting on time.
    I just recived my notice also. So do we just wait?
    "So others may live"

Forum Member

Yes,
    You wait. They'll start with the highest scores and work their way down sending out the packets. Packets will have instructions on what you'll do next, normally this involves a medial screening, PPD (turburqulosis?(sp)) check, Drug screen, eye and hearing test.
    My background questionaire was in my packet when I got the selection letter a while back.
    Just about everyone should have their scores by now. I have two friends that scored 109 and 107 respectivly, another scored a 98 and one other a 77. They'll start with the highest scores first and work their way down.

Good job in passing.

Forum Member

Now when you say thet work there way down from highest to lowest grade is that overall or is that for the area you have choosen to work out of?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stuffum
    Now when you say thet work there way down from highest to lowest grade is that overall or is that for the area you have choosen to work out of?

Overall I believe. I was offered several places that were not on my "pick list" before I chose. Key is to wait for what you want, if you're able.

Forum Member

Thank you and thanks for all the helpful info you have provided.

FED
    Well I got my results also, we have 4 people that took the test in our office out of Chicago. We scored 94, 92, 89 & 88. If any of us hear anything I will pass it on.

Forum Member

Don't forget to mention:

A recent published government employee survey ranked and rated CBP extremely low.
    This position is not considered or classified by the governement as a law enforcement position. Which means you have to work 30 yrs instead of 20 and you are not entitled to their pay or retirement.
    Morale is at an all time low!
    High turn over rate.
    Very little or no overtime presently available.
    New employees are not allowed to transfer for three years and even after that they are not easy to come by. Especially to the better locations.
    My advise to you (and this is my opinion) if you truely want a job in law enforcement keep looking. Something will turn up. If you just want a pay check then this is for you.
    Last edited by 1895bombdog; 07-07-2006 at 11:22 AM.
    Corina8282 likes this.

Forum Member

Not to get in a ****ing match, we all have our opinions. Some ports are better than others.

We have a few things going for us:

1. The position is under review for LE 6(c) covered status. Several other agencies that just up to 3 years ago were not covered now have been recently. With the amount of LE work that CBP does, and the amount of internal covered positions already in existance, it is only a matter of time.

2. It is probably the easiest agency to get your foot in the door with, and your federal time starts from there. You can still look and make decent money while you look.

3. Opportunity - If you're willing to sacrifice and work hard, you can get ahead. Many of us are doing it every day.
    Iczer5 likes this.

Forum Member

Like NOPD said, It depends on your port. The grass isnt always greener and if you are looking for a place to start it is not bad. There have been plenty of people who have left for ICE and various other agencies that are looking to come back. We also have double time OT which you can make a killing on. My girlfriend just went to ICE and took a pay cut and is unhappy with the work and the direction the agency is going. Things in CBP are bad but at least we have somewhat of a budget and job security. We are gaining more special details and training than we used to. Another plus is that it is looking like we are going to go back to the old Customs and Immigration duties instead of the CBP super inspector which has been a disaster.

Forum Member

Hey formerNOPD

Quick question?
    Is it true that 7 out of 9 new hires (just back from FLETC) recently quit in Miami after just a few days?
    While you are correct about some others getting 6c CBP will never get it!
    The excuses they always give are never valid. CBP doesn't investigate or patrol. There are many other federal agencies that don't investigate and patrol and they have 6c coverage. For example BOP. It comes down to money. There are too many employees and would cost too much.

Forum Member

If you are under 37, and looking to get into Federal Law Enforcement, I would say don't even waste your time with CBP. You will have to go to a four month academy in FLETC and learn everything there is to know about being a real LEO only to go back to your port and be a stamp monkey in a booth. CBP are not LEO's they are inspectors. Looking like a cop and being a cop are two very different things.

Forum Member

Cool

"Very little or no overtime presently available."

That certainly is not the case here with CBP in So. Cal.
    We have way more OT than we want, even tho' it is at double time.
    Most of us would be happy if they hired more troops and cut way down on the OT.

Forum Member

Cool Dear CBPSDJohn,

Quote Originally Posted by CBPSDJohn
    "Very little or no overtime presently available."

That certainly is not the case here with CBP in So. Cal.
    We have way more OT than we want, even tho' it is at double time.
    Most of us would be happy if they hired more troops and cut way down on the OT.
    Please do tell what happens on the southern border with all that overtime? Have you ever been forced out? Have you ever been forced to spend another 8 hours because someone called in sick? Do you know of anyone who was forced to call in sick just to spend a birthday or special event with a family member? How is the morale at your port?

I prefer to be honest with a potential new hire than to encourage him to make the best of a bad situation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightHeat
    If you are under 37, and looking to get into Federal Law Enforcement, I would say don't even waste your time with CBP. You will have to go to a four month academy in FLETC and learn everything there is to know about being a real LEO only to go back to your port and be a stamp monkey in a booth. CBP are not LEO's they are inspectors. Looking like a cop and being a cop are two very different things.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Airport officers might well end up in a booth as stamp monkeys, but those working on a land border(especially at southern border POE) probably won't.

I personally haven't stamped an I-94/94W in more than a year.
    FutureCBPO likes this.

Forum Member

FWIW, there's almost no OT available around here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by merlin436
    That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Airport officers might well end up in a booth as stamp monkeys, but those working on a land border(especially at southern border POE) probably won't.

I personally haven't stamped an I-94/94W in more than a year.
    I have friends that work at the landborder, and they tell me that it is the same as working in the airport, except you are outdoors and you deal with vehicles instead of people comigng off a plane. They all hate it and have applications pending with other agencies.

Forum Member

Cool

1895 Bombdog.

"Please do tell what happens on the southern border with all that overtime? Have you ever been forced out? Have you ever been forced to spend another 8 hours because someone called in sick? Do you know of anyone who was forced to call in sick just to spend a birthday or special event with a family member? How is the morale at your port?"

24/7 Non stop traffic and ped lines, processing drug loads, bodies in trunks etc, imposters, DUI's, drunks, fights, wanted persons. Not sure what you mean by forced out. I am guessing that you mean that you are predrafted. In other words told that you are being told that you have to come in before your shift to work OT. We call it Predrafted. Happens everyday. Having been drafted to cover for someone who called in sick, happens many times every day. People calling in sick, just to have some time away from work, that is seen as normal here. As far as morale. My opinion if you like action and alot of OT. Very high. If you do not like OT, very low. Just my honest opinion from So Cal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBPSDJohn
    1895 Bombdog.

"Please do tell what happens on the southern border with all that overtime? Have you ever been forced out? Have you ever been forced to spend another 8 hours because someone called in sick? Do you know of anyone who was forced to call in sick just to spend a birthday or special event with a family member? How is the morale at your port?"

24/7 Non stop traffic and ped lines, processing drug loads, bodies in trunks etc, imposters, DUI's, drunks, fights, wanted persons. Not sure what you mean by forced out. I am guessing that you mean that you are predrafted. In other words told that you are being told that you have to come in before your shift to work OT. We call it Predrafted. Happens everyday. Having been drafted to cover for someone who called in sick, happens many times every day. People calling in sick, just to have some time away from work, that is seen as normal here. As far as morale. My opinion if you like action and alot of OT. Very high. If you do not like OT, very low. Just my honest opinion from So Cal.

I'd have to agree. This job is what you make of it. It has BS just like any other job, but I tell you it's like retirement compared to NOPD....

Forum Member

Thank you

I started at a land border location. Did 5 years and the best part of it was when I saw it in my rear view mirror as I left. While everything you said is true I remember things differently. I remember a port that could care less of the DUIs. In fact many people made their declarations with a beer between their legs as they drove through. Kids (teenagers) returning to the US drunk, (getting sick/falling down). No one cared! The thing I remember the most about the fights were the officers who ran away and did not want to help or get involved. Not all but enough to make me realize I could not count on everyone for help if needed. Something I never experienced as a cop. I also remember an AUSA who refused to file charges for inspectors who were assaulted by the public. I remember a port that made no attempt to stop or deter port runners and actually wrote up an inspector who chased down a pedestrian who was loaded and ran when questioned. All you could do is waive at them as they forced their way through and nearly ran over anyone in their way. At my port you couldn't sit down or even lean against the tables and after 3 or 4 16 hour days that got old. People actually pretended to go to the rest room just to sit down for a while. It's definitely blood money. I saw poor housing and living conditions. Saw many families break up or devorce due to work or the living conditions. I quickly learned about the port politics and the Customs way of doing things (the good old boy) and that hard work, personal sacrifice and loyalty meant nothing and I had no trouble moving on.
    Oh and for the record I put more than my share of seizures on the table.
    Last edited by 1895bombdog; 07-11-2006 at 12:19 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightHeat
    I have friends that work at the landborder, and they tell me that it is the same as working in the airport, except you are outdoors and you deal with vehicles instead of people comigng off a plane. They all hate it and have applications pending with other agencies.
    I wonder... how much are your friends motivations for leaving CBP driven by the desire to have 6C and all it's perks and how much is driven by their hatred of the CBPO job?

Forum Member

It's both. One of the guys I went to the academy with is stationed at San Ysidro and he tells me that he is confined to a checkpoint all day long and the cars never stop coming. He has to beg just to take a pee break.

Forum Member

Anyone out there hear any new intel? Any top of the listers hear anything?

Waiting on time.
    Just wanted to ask if anybody out there has worked in the lax or La port area as a CBP officer since that was one of my Geo picks along with Ia. How is the OT working conditions and such? Id love to work there since i have family in the Palmdale,Lancaster area. Yea i know the commute will suck.

Gabe
    djarmpit likes this.
    "So others may live"