Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Cop Singing National Anthem

Anyone know what department this is and what the event was?

Ouch

displaced hockeytowner
    That's criminal. and who told him he could sing in teh first place? He almost had to do that on purpose.

Inactive User
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyCop
    Anyone know what department this is and what the event was?

Ouch
    LMAO

Forum Member
    That was...an insult.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Troop2256
    WTF? I'm writing him a ticket! Poor guy.

Forum Member
    It looks to me like this took place at an officer's funeral. I don't have any inside information, though.

I think it's a shame that this video is being publicized. Unless somebody has evidence that the anthem was purposefully botched, publicizing this video is a very low-class and ignorant thing to do. As far as I'm concerned, it takes some serious guts to sing publicly; most of the people that would make fun of him probably don't have the guts to attempt what he attempted.

Obviously, officers go through a lot of stress when they lose a brother officer. We do not know what this officer had been through during the time leading up to this event. For all we know, he could have been involved in the same shooting that killed the officer, he could have been sleep deprived, or he could have been under extreme stress due to the loss of somebody close to him.

In conclusion, let's not trash a brother officer for making a mistake during what appears to be a tragic time for all.

Hardened Road Criminal
    ...at least that cop showed some game...
    ...Know Fear...

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaser266
    It looks to me like this took place at an officer's funeral. I don't have any inside information, though.

I think it's a shame that this video is being publicized. Unless somebody has evidence that the anthem was purposefully botched, publicizing this video is a very low-class and ignorant thing to do. As far as I'm concerned, it takes some serious guts to sing publicly; most of the people that would make fun of him probably don't have the guts to attempt what he attempted.
    I'm quite prepared to be called Adam-Henry for this....but please remember that reasonable people can disagree....

That being said, I must, respectfully, disagree. That does not have the look of a funeral. If it's a recent video, I'll bet you that it took place at some Police Week/Peace Officer Memorial week service. I can't see any funeral that would have attendees without covers, and we see only two honor guard members present. It also looks like it takes place near a street, or at a civic center. Besides, the Star-Spangled Banner (SSB) is not your standard funeral ballad. Our yearly memorial event does have the SSB, but I can't remember a police funeral (and I've been to quite a few) ever having it.

So, that being said, I'm not going to cut him slack for, "having just lost someone." Events like that are pre-planned, weeks in advance. Unless he just got the singing job that morning in roll call, he would have had time to read, review, and rehearse the song. Unless he's a victim of an extortion...he volunteered and told them, "Yeah, I can handle that!"
    Last edited by Kieth M.; 06-02-2006 at 01:52 AM.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Forum Member

Part of it is obviously chopped. The audio that is.

Forum Member

don't believe everything you see...that looked like the song was added to the video... especially near the end when he really gets bad.... the camera stops showing the guy singing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by broke
    don't believe everything you see...that looked like the song was added to the video... especially near the end when he really gets bad.... the camera stops showing the guy singing.
    And even if it is real, it still doesn't matter. People can be great singers when they're away from a crowd, but can be terrible in front of crowds. Who knows, he could have even had the flu.

There's also a video floating around of the RCMP band at Depot playing Oh Canada quite poorly. It honestly sounds like a grade 7 band playing it.

Cherub of Justice
    You're fired!

The Trump
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowing-Dee
    And even if it is real, it still doesn't matter. People can be great singers when they're away from a crowd, but can be terrible in front of crowds. Who knows, he could have even had the flu.
    The flu makes you forget the lyrics to the national anthem?

On the road
    That is unquestionably fake.

The video looks like it was taken from a camcorder, and the sound doesn't match up with camcorder quality. That is some guy fooling around, who put the audio to the video, long after the video was taken.

Forum Member

thats bad

Sounds like Lt. Frank Drebin in the Naked gun movie.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2Be
    That is unquestionably fake.

The video looks like it was taken from a camcorder, and the sound doesn't match up with camcorder quality. That is some guy fooling around, who put the audio to the video, long after the video was taken.
    "Unquestionable" is a bit strong. You can only actually see the guys face for the first few seconds of the video, but in those few seconds his mouth and mannerisms are consistent with the audio.

The sound quality of a "camcorder" can vary substantially depending on a number of factors like distance, wind, ambient noise and equipment quality, besides the quality differences in down- or up-sampling during the conversion process. I sure as hell wouldn't base the authenticity on how it sounds

Brav989
    Lol at the cop about to laugh

Megaforce
    That's pretty funny. And no, I don't think the video is a fake. Yes, it was edited. That doesn't mean that it's fake.

Oh, and I love the Larry The Cable Guy-esque tag ending. "Let's pray..."
    Last edited by AggiePhil; 06-02-2006 at 10:35 PM.

OFK
    Banned
    I am not going to judge. Edited or not, I thought the video was funny, and when we get nervous, even the things we say over and over again on a daily basis get mixed up. We choke, we stumble, we muddle through til the end. Kudos to him for sticking it out until the end.

He who speaks Truth

Thumbs down

I LMAO but the guy was a disgrace, why are some making excuses for this clown? It was as if a pre -schooler was "singing" it.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Forum Member
    I looked through some of the comments there and found these posts. If they're true, they explain alot.

This was not a real cop
    submitted by:rockhead on Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 9:30 PM
    I was there. He is an auxiliary who happened to be retarded, like the administrator of this site. He actually has a really good voice but obviously got flustered by the large crowd at Law Week in Washington, DC.
    AUXILIARY = VOLUNTEER, French_man
    submitted by:rockhead on Tuesday, May 30, 2006, 9:34 PM
    He's not a real cop... he's a guy who helps out at parades and stuff. No weapons, no arrest powers. Just a buff who feels good about helping out. Some toolbox cops were snickering and laughing while this guy sang. He got a huge round of applause when he finished, but the clip does not show that.

Forum Member
    Sounds like I'm going to stand corrected on this one. However, I stand by the spirit of my original post that it is wrong to make fun of somebody who has the guts to get up in front of a crowd and fails to perform. I think some of us should take a step back and ask, "How would I feel about bashing this guy if he was my own son?" I believe in treating others fairly -- the way I would want to be treated, or the way I would want my loved ones to be treated.

If you happen to be there when it happened, I can understand chuckling to yourself about it. But to go out of your way to publicize it (by putting it out on the internet,) and further embarass the guy is just plain wrong.

And, as for him being an auxiliary... Let's show a little more respect for these guys. They might not be our equals, per se, but in some jurisdictions they end up doing a lot of the menial tasks that free up the career officers to do "real" police work.

He who speaks Truth
    Well it's obviously different if this guy had special needs and wanted to help out the police; I would stand and applaud his efforts in that instance.

OTOH if he was just your average cop I stand by my point that it was a disgrace.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtbuddie
    I looked through some of the comments there and found these posts. If they're true, they explain alot.

Not sure where you found these comments, but after doing some digging using google, I found that this guy is a deputy sheriff for Hamilton County (TN) Sheriff's Department. I went to their webpage, and they don't have auxiliary officers. They do have a reserve program but those guys are fully sworn officers according to the site, so wouldn't that give the full arresting powers? And from everything I could gather, this event was not in DC but rather it was a local event.

Banned

People have moments when they forget things.

I've performed solos in music festivals that I had the songs memorized because I had practiced them over and over again and I could play them in my sleep only to get up there in front of the ajudicator and start out great and then get my fingers knotted up on a run because I was shaking so hard out of nervousness. I've performed my fair share of solos and I still get nervous, shaky, and dizzy to the point where I start to black out and feel like I'm going to faint. It's not as easy as it looks. I'm not going to bash a person because they forgot the words to their national anthem. Hell, even I forget the words to O Canada every once and awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last