Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mobile Co Alabama
    Posts
    48

    Does Hawaii have state troopers?

    Does hawaii have state troopers like other states or is the city on each island responsible for the whole thing?
    I looked up the Hawaii DPS site, but all it said was there are sheriffs for each island. Are they like troopers here on the mainland?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    27
    no state troopers. only sheriff's and police officers
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God Matthew 5:9

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    84

    Cool Nope...no troopers

    Grew up in Hawaii and left when I joined the Air Force many, many years ago.

    Sheriffs are the only statewide LE agency and they operate much like most county sheriffs offices: courtroom security and prisoner transport. There are only four "municipal" police agencies in the state, one for each county: Honolulu, Kauai, Maui (which I believe includes Molokai and Lanai) and Hawaii.

    BTW...there is no Hawaii Five-O or equivalent agency.

    Can't wait...only 6 more weeks and I'll be home for vacation. First time in 5 years.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington DC Metro Area
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by New_Centurion
    BTW...there is no Hawaii Five-O or equivalent agency.
    Sure there is.....

    I know when I worked Liasion for the mililtary out there with HPD, I was simply amazed at the number of letters/request HPD would get wanting 5-0 to help out with a suspect that was thought to be in Hawaii.....

    Have fun on your vacation....I need to get out there for a week or so soon......

  5. #5
    He who speaks Truth BrickCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Between Canada and Mexico
    Posts
    4,160
    Ignorant question from a guy who's never been there...

    What if ***** really hits the fan on one of the smaller islands and they need immediate mutual aid....would the other island PD's fly over to help or send 'em by boat???

    Yes, I know I need to get out more rather than pondering such obscure questions...
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickCop
    Ignorant question from a guy who's never been there...

    What if ***** really hits the fan on one of the smaller islands and they need immediate mutual aid....would the other island PD's fly over to help or send 'em by boat???

    Yes, I know I need to get out more rather than pondering such obscure questions...

    that is a out in left field question... but heres n answer....
    if something like that was to happen (say on maui), honolulu is only a 30 min flight away and im sure with the fighter jets its only 10. if that was to happen on oahu (where honolulu is) they already have A LOT of help. they have navy, army, marines, national guard, coast guard. so i dont think thats gonna happen. honestly, the way it is here in hawaii, oahu would be the only island i could imagine somethin like that happening.
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God Matthew 5:9

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by New_Centurion
    Maui (which I believe includes Molokai and Lanai)
    correct. lanai and molokai are considered maui county

    Quote Originally Posted by New_Centurion
    Can't wait...only 6 more weeks and I'll be home for vacation. First time in 5 years.
    im sure you'll be glad to be back!!!!
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God Matthew 5:9

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kennewick, WA
    Posts
    1,762
    Quote Originally Posted by msouzajr
    Does hawaii have state troopers like other states or is the city on each island responsible for the whole thing?
    I looked up the Hawaii DPS site, but all it said was there are sheriffs for each island. Are they like troopers here on the mainland?
    I used to use this as a trivia question in my CJ classes. Hawaii is the only state that has no state police/patrol function.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    6
    On each respective island, the county police are the primary agencies. In Honolulu, the Sheriff's Dept. has a very limited patrol function, primarily around the Honolulu International Airport. To put things in perspective for you, the Sheriff's don't have the resources, trained manpower, or support units to perform the duties of a major Dept.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington DC Metro Area
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakhntr
    In Honolulu, the Sheriff's Dept. has a very limited patrol function, primarily around the Honolulu International Airport. To put things in perspective for you, the Sheriff's don't have the resources, trained manpower, or support units to perform the duties of a major Dept.

    And they just got that a while back as when I was out there in the 80s/90s, HPD had their own detail out there....but the Airport folks thought they were charging too much, so booted them and gave it to the Sheriff's Dept.

    Last I heard, the Airport folks were thinking the Sheriff's Dept. were now charging to much for thier services.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •