Forum Member

Glock 17 or 22 ?

Hey all im thinking about purchasing a glock just not sure if i want a 17 or a 22..

Which would you prefer if you had to chose between the two ?

Forum Member

Glock 17 = better control as a 9mm has less recoil, but may require several hits to take a man down.

Glock 22 = better stopping power because a .40 is a bigger bullet, but the .40 also has more recoil and is especially noticeable in the 22/35, referred to as the "snap."

Pick one that feels good to you, practice, and remember that shot placement is the most important thing in a gun fight.
    For those who seek revenge, dig a grave for yourself beside that of your enemy.

Forum Member

The one you shoot best with, and you can get cheaper ammo for.

If you can "borrow" cases of .40S&W from your job, the G22. If not, consider .40S&W is more expensive than 9mm.

As to stopping power, if you are using any bullet designed and manufactured in the last 5 years from a major manufacturer like Remington, Speer, Federal, Winchester or Hornday, then stopping power is likely a moot point of contention.

Put the bullet (and his friends in the magazine...) were they need to go.

SUPERMAN .45
    I have a glock 17 it shoots better because of low recoil, but stopping power I prefer the glock 22 in .40 cal. If you could try it in the range, if they have a house gun the glock 17 or 22. Try shooting this guns for comparison which works better for you, but the most important factor regarding calibers is shoot placement it is the most important in a gunfight. Thanks and be safe.

Forum Member

If you're worried about recoil try the G22 Compensated, best thing since sliced bread. I believe the gun is simply called a Glock 22C... don't forget the "C."
    The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends

Forum Member

I used to carry a Glock 22C for my duty weapon. Until the first time I fired it at night and I had two bright orange jets of fire coming out of my barrel. Granted it is only a split second, but that's a split second I can't see anything else, ie my target. I would avoid using the compensated models for duty purposes. If you cannot handle the recoil of the .40, stay with the 9mm.
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing.

Forum Member
    Good advice from everyone. Have a GLOCK 22 myself, but the recoil on a hot, sweaty day isn't great. I find the gun rotates in my hand unless it has a Hogue grip-sleeve on it. I prefer the GLOCK 17 for the reduced recoil, and yes, the 22 is snappy indeed.

LEO

Why not a 19 or 23. I prefer the 19 because you can carry it both on and off duty. It's small enough to conceal but big enough to have a good round count in the weapon. I like the 9mm because its cheap to shoot. It has slightly less recoil so I get on the front sight quicker. Don't get caught up in the different calibers. Proper shot placement is what you need to worry about. Cheaper ammo means (hopefully) you'll shoot more. That will make you a better shot. I can stop someone with my 9mm just like some dude with his 1911 .45. Just cause your caliber starts with a four does not mean it's your saving grace, you still have to know how to shoot effectively.

LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider_RSA
    Good advice from everyone. Have a GLOCK 22 myself, but the recoil on a hot, sweaty day isn't great. I find the gun rotates in my hand unless it has a Hogue grip-sleeve on it. I prefer the GLOCK 17 for the reduced recoil, and yes, the 22 is snappy indeed.
    Try a thumbs forward grip. You should have about 60% grip with you weak side and 40% with your strong side. You should not be having that much problem with recoil. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Forum Member
    I would do the research on which caliber you prefer over the other in regards to performance, then decide which weapon platform you want.
    If you are recoil shy, but want a .40 in DAO, look at the M&P .40 from S&W. It has a lower bore axis than the G22, along with a smoother trigger and a more user adaptable grip. I have had my g22 for about four years and 8000 rounds, and the first time I picked up the M&P I outshot myself when compared to the glock. Best of all, my hand wasn't sore after shooting several hundred rounds and the trigger doesn't make your finger sore.

Forum Member

Get a real gun, get the G21. No just joking, get whatever you feel comfortable with since it will be your lifeline.

Aspiring LEO
    I prefer the G17 of those listed. It is more controllable and easier to shoot, will have a longer service life, and is less susceptible to problems then it's .40 counterpart. In truth any GLOCK will likely last your lifetime without problems, but the G17 is has the best track record among service-sized GLOCKs.
    Refuse to be a victim-Support Concealed Carry

Qui audet adipiscitur
    The .40 is the better round overall, but also more expensive and a little harder to shoot well.

The compensated guns are nice, and I shot a 21C, the .45, in near no-light conditions, and didn't find the flash up to damage my night vision any worse than regular muzzle flash. It cut the recoil down so much, that as the flash was going off, it actually illuminated my front sight as it was falling back into place.

The only thing you need that doesn't come on the gun is night sights (if you think you can benefit from them), and get the FBI style stop. It is a factory Glock part, comes standard on the model 34 and model 35. I found it to be a huge improvement.

Good luck.
    "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding