Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    16

    Smith & Wesson 9VE (SW9VE)

    Does anybody own this gun or have any experience with it? I was able to grip it at a gun store today and loved the way it felt in my hand. I have small hands so it's hard to find a gun that feels good in my hands.

    I was wondering if any of you have had any malfunctions with it, or opinions regarding the accuracy. I was planning on using this as a concealed weapon due to it's light weight.

    Thanks ahead of time!

  2. #2
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    271
    In the name of all that is holy, please tell me you are not talking about a Sigma on this forum.

    Shall we never forget...the last time Smith and Wesson tried to make a Glock.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    16
    See, I've heard bad stuff about the Sigma as well, but then I realized all of the things I heard started out like "My friend told me", or "My Sarge said", or "My baby's Momma's friend's cousin heard".

    I don't think I have ever heard anybody say "I know it sucks because I shot it". That's really what I was looking for. Somebody who has actual experience with the weapon.

    Well after some research it's between the Springfield XD Subcompact, or the S&W9VE.

    Anybody else know about the S&W9VE?

  4. #4
    Clam Cop
    WC145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    926
    I know it sucks because I shot it. I used to own one and it was a POS, had a friend who had one and he thought the same. I went from the Sigma to a Glock to a Para Ordnance and now I carry an H&K USP Compact and it is the last on/off duty weapon I'll purchase unless I wear it out (highly unlikely!). It is accurate, comfortable, light weight and top quality.
    Given a choice between the Springfield and the Sigma, I'd go with the Springfield. If money isn't an issue and you want a quality subcompact look at the H&K P2000SK.

  5. #5
    SoCal Expatriate
    pkagel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dallas Metro area
    Posts
    4,809
    I know the Sigma sucks because I've shot it and everyone I know who has owned one has regretted it.

    As far as HK. I have 100k through mine and it shoots as good as the day I took it out of the box.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

    For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    16
    Thanks guys, I'm sure you saved me a headache in the future. I'll go ahead and pass on the Sigma. I was looking at that H&K and on paper it looks nice, I'm going to drive down to the gun store and see what it feels like in my hand.

    Thanks again!

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    challedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital
    See, I've heard bad stuff about the Sigma as well, but then I realized all of the things I heard started out like "My friend told me", or "My Sarge said", or "My baby's Momma's friend's cousin heard".

    I don't think I have ever heard anybody say "I know it sucks because I shot it". That's really what I was looking for. Somebody who has actual experience with the weapon.

    Well after some research it's between the Springfield XD Subcompact, or the S&W9VE.

    Anybody else know about the S&W9VE?
    Shot both, the XD is a great pistol(personaly I think better than GLOCK), the Sigma is a cheap pistol for cheap people who don't really care about defense.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1

    Don't Bash the Almighty SW9VE

    I bought SW9VE in January for $280 and it came with two 16 capacity magazines.

    The SW9VE (Sigma 9mm) has been a wonderful pistol for me. I was considering a Ruger P94 double action only until I actually held a Sigma. Its weight and comfort are what sold me. I went with the 9mm over the 40 because 9mm ammo was much cheaper, and I hope to shoot several times throughout the year.

    If you want a gun with multiple safeties and double-action/single-action capabilities, then this gun is NOT for you.

    If you want a gun:
    * That you can point and shoot without having to worry about fumbling with safeties
    * With a trigger pull that is somewhat longer than single-action and heavier, but steady
    * That is capable of firing without the magazine (which I feel is an advantage in adverse conditions).
    * That you can easily field strip without any tools (this is the easiest pistol I have EVER field stripped)
    Then the Sigma is a winner.

    Folks in this forum may have a bias towards Smith & Wesson products. So I encourage you to read for yourself some reviews regarding the Sigma that should provide some objective information regarding this pistol:

    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...13466589/print
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...55605737/print
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...13469643/print
    http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm
    http://carnival.saysuncle.com/003084.html

    I am an Army Reservist officer whose standard sidearm is the Beretta M9. I can say that I like the simplicity and reliability of the SW9VE better than the M9.

    (Nothing against Glock and all those other fine weapons overseas, but BUY AMERICAN. DEFEND OUR HOMELAND AND OUR STREETS WITH AMERICAN WEAPONS!)

  9. #9
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by scoot6453
    I bought SW9VE in January for $280 and it came with two 16 capacity magazines.

    The SW9VE (Sigma 9mm) has been a wonderful pistol for me. I was considering a Ruger P94 double action only until I actually held a Sigma. Its weight and comfort are what sold me. I went with the 9mm over the 40 because 9mm ammo was much cheaper, and I hope to shoot several times throughout the year.

    If you want a gun with multiple safeties and double-action/single-action capabilities, then this gun is NOT for you.

    If you want a gun:
    * That you can point and shoot without having to worry about fumbling with safeties
    * With a trigger pull that is somewhat longer than single-action and heavier, but steady
    * That is capable of firing without the magazine (which I feel is an advantage in adverse conditions).
    * That you can easily field strip without any tools (this is the easiest pistol I have EVER field stripped)
    Then the Sigma is a winner.

    Folks in this forum may have a bias towards Smith & Wesson products. So I encourage you to read for yourself some reviews regarding the Sigma that should provide some objective information regarding this pistol:

    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...13466589/print
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...55605737/print
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...13469643/print
    http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm
    http://carnival.saysuncle.com/003084.html

    I am an Army Reservist officer whose standard sidearm is the Beretta M9. I can say that I like the simplicity and reliability of the SW9VE better than the M9.

    (Nothing against Glock and all those other fine weapons overseas, but BUY AMERICAN. DEFEND OUR HOMELAND AND OUR STREETS WITH AMERICAN WEAPONS!)
    You should have gone with the Ruger or an M9.

    Have you even shot the Sigma POS? I have never heard one good thing about the first generation glock and Wesson from anyone who has put a decent amount of rounds through one. I was convinced after 50 rounds.

    The POS shot two inches to left and three inches high at seven yards (yes it was the gun, not me; when I shoot with the real Glock or any other gun, the rounds are always dead center at seven yards.)

    More than five times (out of 50), the firing pin would stike the round and nothing would happen. I would eject the round and continue shooting...until the next malfunction (never had to wait too long). After finally emptying the magazine, I would try the round again that didn't go off. They would fire the next time (got me, but it proves it was not faulty ammo).

    The ONLY reason I would even think of having a Sigma around is the aid in learning to clear a jam. I would NEVER carry one on the street. I would carry a real gun.

    In conclusion: Shall we never forget...the last time Smith and Wesson tried to make a Glock.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    AZ USA
    Posts
    3,358
    So, you got one where the sights were way off. OK. What kind of ammo was producing the malf? I have seen factory ammo where the primers were not seated deep enough, and it took two or three strikes to get them to go off. Yet the same guns, with other factory ammo, ran 100%.

    It's just possible it was the way you held that gun, and an ammo problem.
    I have no experience with the Sigma, I just want people to have all the facts so they can make an informed decision.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    163
    My dept. used to issue the POS Smagma in 40 cal. Biggest piece of junk invented behind the Yugo!! Aim for your left foot to hit you center of mass. Recoil rods exploded, strikers breaking in half. Need I continue. Cary a brick, you are better off. Buy American, tell that to the military. M16 and the 7.62 general purpose machine gun are made by FN, a Belgian company. M9 made by Beretta, an Italian company, Aimpoint red dot sights, made in Sweden. Come on pal.....

  12. #12
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by scoot6453
    I bought SW9VE in January for $280 and it came with two 16 capacity magazines.
    This is truely a case of you get what you pay for. There is a reason a brand new Sig Sauer goes for about $800.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Nightshifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    203
    I have never shot one but I did train with an officer that carried one. The gun jammed everyother mag and at one point the front sight just fell off the gun. She also dropped a mag on reload and it fell apart. This was about 8 or 9 years ago and maybe they have improved on it since then but I made sure to note the gun so I would never buy one.

    Granted this could have just been a lemon or something else but I was not impressed at all.

    I would buy something else. I have carried a glock 22 for about the last 8 years without a single malfunction. I have had a glock 27 for 7years with two malfunctions that were related to a +1 magazine add on that was easily fixed. I bought an XD a few months back and have had a several malfunctions but I think that is a reloaded ammo issue.

    I would say there are a lot of choices out there and you should try and shoot them and make up your own mind. Keep other peoples comments in the back of your mind though. I was going to buy a Para LDA 45 until someone pointed out the trigger has to completely reset befor you can pull it again.(no real seer(sp)) I still like the gun but I will have to shoot one before I buy it.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,697
    Friends don't let friends carry sigmas...

  15. #15
    Sh*t Magnet
    Enforcer_CPD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    97
    I have a original Sigma and carried it for 4 years as a Duty Weapon. Had to send it to S&W for some custom work which they did at no cost to me and overnighted the gun back to me. S&W has always stood behind thier guns whether they are a flop or a tried and true gun.
    I never had one malfunction with my Sigma and could routinely out score other Glocks and Sigs during qualifications.
    It's been a good solid gun for me and I still keep it loaded in my nightstand to this day.
    My current duty weapon is a Walther P99 which I dislike because of it's trigger setup, but word is we are getting the new S&W M&P which has really impressed the gun gurus in our agency.
    S&W is not afraid to take it's failures and learn from them and they are not afraid to stand behind every gun they sell.
    I think I admire that the most about S&W


    Quote Originally Posted by Digital
    Does anybody own this gun or have any experience with it? I was able to grip it at a gun store today and loved the way it felt in my hand. I have small hands so it's hard to find a gun that feels good in my hands.

    I was wondering if any of you have had any malfunctions with it, or opinions regarding the accuracy. I was planning on using this as a concealed weapon due to it's light weight.

    Thanks ahead of time!

  16. #16
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer_CPD
    S&W is not afraid to take it's failures and learn from them and they are not afraid to stand behind every gun they sell.
    There is no way a manufacturer could learn from all the failures of the sigma pos. There is just to damn many things wrong with that pos to ever get all of the failures evaluated.

  17. #17
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    271
    [QUOTE=Enforcer_CPD]S&W has always stood behind thier guns whether they are a flop or a tried and true gun./QUOTE]

    S&W should not stand behind this pos; they should have fired the crew that came up with. Most importantly, S&W does not need to try to make a Glock. (p. s. Read the next post in this thread.)

  18. #18
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    271
    Shall we never forget...the last time Smith and Wesson tried to make a Glock.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Reno,NV
    Posts
    61
    Shot it today and it was horrible! The gun would NOT shoot straight. It had a horrible feel and it kicked like a .45 and it was a 9mm....avoid it like the plague!

  20. #20
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Sktr007
    avoid it like the plague!
    IT IS THE PLAUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    jimmy120's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NE Colorado
    Posts
    9

    Awesome

    Same as a glock. Have fired both with the exception of the hard trigger pull this gun is the same as the glock. People who talk bad about it either had an earlier version of this gun or they own a glock and are mad you can get the Sigma for half the price.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy120 View Post
    Same as a glock. Have fired both with the exception of the hard trigger pull this gun is the same as the glock. People who talk bad about it either had an earlier version of this gun or they own a glock and are mad you can get the Sigma for half the price.
    I have SW40VE. I have qualified with this weapon as well as a glock 19. I have to carry the glock 19 for work. I shot the exact same score with the sigma as I did with the glock. I have well over 1500 rounds through my sigma w/o any ftf or fte. so that just leads my to think it could be just the trigger pull throwing some people off and not the weapon.
    It's a CERT thing. You wouldn't understand.

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    338
    I had one through my shop. I went and shot it. It was fine. Felt good in the hand. Gun fed reliably with cheap ammo. Extracted and ejected just perfectly. I dont know why people get their panties in a wad over it. It is a decent gun at an attractive price. Yeah, it isnt a SIG. Nothing is. But it isnt $600 either.

    Now the mini Sigma is another fish. I owned one for 10 minutes. Geez what a piece of crap. Consistent failure to feed and eject, rough recoil, inaccurate. And my favorite, there was no obvious way to take the gun down to clean it.

  24. #24
    LE Geek

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    597
    I put 50 rds through one at the rental range a few months ago. It was the 40 version but it actually shot pretty well, the grip felt good in my hand, loading/unloading was as easy as a glock. The only downfall I found on it was the, heavier than a glock, trigger on it. If I had the money at the time I would have bought the new version they had there, but I didn't have the money. If for no other reason I would have kept it as a "Keep locked in the glovebox" gun.

  25. #25
    Reserve Deputy
    (S)Sgt Elmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,163
    I went through college with a guy who carried a brand new Sigma (this was in 99). I had my current gun, a first generation Sig 226. We fired each others guns, and that Sigma malfunctioned for both of us, neither of us could shoot it well - in general it was just a lot of problems.

    Another buddy had a S&W 5906 - that gun outshot the Sigma by a bunch.
    For every one hundred men you send us,
    Ten should not even be here.
    Eighty are nothing but targets.
    Nine of them are real fighters;
    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
    And he will bring the others back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register