Wannabe

Getting another police job after being fired from one.

Some time ago, I was terminated from my police department for failing to meet training standards in field training....

I feel that it was part my fault...there was just too much information, too fast and kept making mistakes....

However, I feel that my department did a lousy job in training me....They wanted to push me thought field training I thing because the PFC was putting pressure on the Chief to get more officers on the street as the department was down 3 officers and others were working a lot of overtime.

I had FTO's who didn't want to train me....I had to ride with a Sgt. a few times and he just wanted to worry about things he had to do and became Impatient at how I did things and jumped in on me not because I was doing it wrong but because he just wanted to move on....so he would just take over.

I had MANY conflicting statements from several FTO's
    1 would say I can run RADAR anywhere in the city another says I have to run it in My assigned sector.

1 says you don't need to write a report for unfounded complaints...and another does...

all and all I had 8 different FTO's in just 3 months. and most of the shifts I worked were at night and it was really hard to learn the geography of the city at night....not to mention the car that I was told to always get with one FTO that I worked with a lot was unmarked and had not spotlight!

I could go on and on.....

Im trying to get a job at a different department and hope it is better there but no luck so far....

what can I do when I have to discuss what happened at the last department?

Forum Member

It's tough because you say the department failed to train you. Are you applying in the same area? If you are, I would be the Chief's know eachother so you would have to be careful how you word it.

Forum Member

I know of a former deputy that was let go for not passing the FTO program and then was hired by a much tougher Department. So keep going, admit your mistakes, be humble, don't point the finger, and explain that you learned from it and you are ready to be sucessfull. Be sure to look into the dept you test for and talk to the officers to see how they like it.

Forum Member

Getting another job

Prior to my retirement from the Alabama Dept of Public Safety, I was an FTO Supervisor. I didn't have any FTO's who didn't want to be there. If you had an FTO, who didn't want to train you, or didn't take the time to instruct you, you were done a disservice. I have to keep in mind that there are two sides to every story, and your is the one I have heard. Your career wasn't helped by being let go under the circumstances you described. Successful completion of the FTO Program is usually a condition of continued employment. If you're serious concerning a career in law enforcement, you should go ahead and apply to another agency. Be honest about your situation, you probably still have a shot.