Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PhilipCal
  • 1 Post By Q386

Thread: Getting another police job after being fired from one.

Wannabe

Getting another police job after being fired from one.

Some time ago, I was terminated from my police department for failing to meet training standards in field training....

I feel that it was part my fault...there was just too much information, too fast and kept making mistakes....

However, I feel that my department did a lousy job in training me....They wanted to push me thought field training I thing because the PFC was putting pressure on the Chief to get more officers on the street as the department was down 3 officers and others were working a lot of overtime.

I had FTO's who didn't want to train me....I had to ride with a Sgt. a few times and he just wanted to worry about things he had to do and became Impatient at how I did things and jumped in on me not because I was doing it wrong but because he just wanted to move on....so he would just take over.

I had MANY conflicting statements from several FTO's
    1 would say I can run RADAR anywhere in the city another says I have to run it in My assigned sector.

1 says you don't need to write a report for unfounded complaints...and another does...

all and all I had 8 different FTO's in just 3 months. and most of the shifts I worked were at night and it was really hard to learn the geography of the city at night....not to mention the car that I was told to always get with one FTO that I worked with a lot was unmarked and had not spotlight!

I could go on and on.....

Im trying to get a job at a different department and hope it is better there but no luck so far....

what can I do when I have to discuss what happened at the last department?

Forum Member

It's tough because you say the department failed to train you. Are you applying in the same area? If you are, I would be the Chief's know eachother so you would have to be careful how you word it.

Forum Member

I know of a former deputy that was let go for not passing the FTO program and then was hired by a much tougher Department. So keep going, admit your mistakes, be humble, don't point the finger, and explain that you learned from it and you are ready to be sucessfull. Be sure to look into the dept you test for and talk to the officers to see how they like it.

Forum Member

Getting another job

Prior to my retirement from the Alabama Dept of Public Safety, I was an FTO Supervisor. I didn't have any FTO's who didn't want to be there. If you had an FTO, who didn't want to train you, or didn't take the time to instruct you, you were done a disservice. I have to keep in mind that there are two sides to every story, and your is the one I have heard. Your career wasn't helped by being let go under the circumstances you described. Successful completion of the FTO Program is usually a condition of continued employment. If you're serious concerning a career in law enforcement, you should go ahead and apply to another agency. Be honest about your situation, you probably still have a shot.
    Zeitgeist likes this.

Forum Member

This is an old thread
    Zeitgeist likes this.

Forum Member

This is an old thread, but I'll express my feelings on here anyways since it is really not too many people that can honestly relate to what I am going through right now. I am in the last stage of FTO, I literally have three days left starting tomorrow. I can either go on my own or fired so you can see the reason I am panicking.

My FTO officer makes it clear to me that I can still be fired at this stage and that coupled with me having problems in geography and report writting got me worried. I am able to both locate an address and write a report, but at times I take too long. I think when I'm on my own I will be able to function fine, but k have to prove to him that I will be able to do fine. I had three days off, I spent all three writting so I can improve. It honestly been a while since I wrote so much and writting properly is coming back to me slowly. I know we all can use some help, but I think I might need a little more help than others.

If anyone have any ideas or suggestion please share with me. Also, I wrote this in nine minutes. This is a first draft and it is unedited. Readers look at it and let me know whay you think about my grammer and stuff. I
    Last edited by Q386; 10-03-2014 at 07:31 PM.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Q386 View Post
    This is an old thread, but I'll express my feelings on here anyways since it is really not too many people that can honestly relate to what I am going through right now. I am in the last stage of FTO, I literally have three days left starting tomorrow. I can either go on my own or fired so you can see the reason I am panicking.

My FTO officer makes it clear to me that I can still be fired at this stage and that coupled with me having problems in geography and report writting got me worried. I am able to both locate an address and write a report, but at times I take too long. I think when I'm on my own I will be able to function fine, but k have to prove to him that I will be able to do fine. I had three days off, I spent all three writting so I can improve. It honestly been a while since I wrote so much and writting properly is coming back to me slowly. I know we all can use some help, but I think I might need a little more help than others.

If anyone have any ideas or suggestion please share with me. Also, I wrote this in nine minutes. This is a first draft and it is unedited. Readers look at it and let me know whay you think about my grammer and stuff. I
    I think waiting until you have 3 days left is a bit late.

Hey, I am not trying to be a hard arse, but if your FTO doesn't think you have met expectations at this point I really doubt you are going to be able to pull it out in 3 days.

About the only prayer you have is to convince the FTO you are worth extra attention

Good Luck
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I think waiting until you have 3 days left is a bit late.

Hey, I am not trying to be a hard arse, but if your FTO doesn't think you have met expectations at this point I really doubt you are going to be able to pull it out in 3 days.

About the only prayer you have is to convince the FTO you are worth extra attention

Good Luck
    I'd agree. How long is it taking you to write a report? Thank God I had a good department that took their time training people (3 months) and didn't just rush to throw them on the streets. I had a friend that was in the same situation as you were, he ended up resigning and got another job a couple states away and is way happier then he was at his first job.