Forum Member

Passive or Aggressive Indication?

Our Department went out of state to select trained dogs in passive indication because the State program didn't offer it at the time. I am only familiar with the Passive indication so I am a little bias. However, I am interested in input from anyone who has aggressive indication dogs and what they feel the benefits are from them.

tolleson187
    My dog is an aggressive alert dog. We train with some passive alert dogs and I've talked to the handler. The biggest thing that I see is that with an aggressive alert dog, he pin points the area the odor is coming from and scratches. So its easier to see where the narcotics are at. With the passive, you can sometimes miss it, or they will get into the scent cone and alert instead of following it to the source. I know of one agency who kinda did both with a dog. The dog would scratch the area a copule of times and then sit, waiting for the toy.

One advantage to passive though is collateral damage. You don't have to replace paint jobs, or damaged interiors inside vehicles. The passive alert dog that we work with does a lot of mail package sniffes since he doesn't destroy the box.

Hope this helps.

K9popo
    I agree with tolleson. Collateral damages are minimal if any, with a passive indicating K9. My K9 is passive and will pin point where the scent is coming from, but she works the scent cone longer to do so...I have seen a agressive/passive indicating dog and thought it was pretty cool. He would scratch a couple of times then sit...

While agitating for a certification I witnessed a K9 chew, scratch and bite a dash almost taking it out of the car...

tolleson187
    been there, done that. I've had many glove boxes and center consoles with teeth marks and scratch marks. Found the dope and left our signature.

Forum Member

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Last edited by Gabber; 10-20-2006 at 04:16 PM.