Forum Member

California Highway Patrol Duty Weapons

Does anyone know what the current duty weapon is for the CHP (make/model/caliber)? Also, does anyone know what wheelgun the CHP carried during the '70s (again, make/model/ caliber)? Thanks in advance, hopefully someone will help me end an on-going discussion with a co-worker.

Forum Member

The Smith and Wesson 5906 in .40 S&W <---its awesome

as for their 1970s gun, i have no clue, probably the Model 10 Smith and Wesson .38 special

Forum Member
    That would be a 4006.. 5906 is a 9mm

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannmann1050
    That would be a 4006.. 5906 is a 9mm
    Thanks for the info!

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Quote Originally Posted by 132nBush
    Does anyone know what the current duty weapon is for the CHP (make/model/caliber)? Also, does anyone know what wheelgun the CHP carried during the '70s (again, make/model/ caliber)? Thanks in advance, hopefully someone will help me end an on-going discussion with a co-worker.
    I think it was a SW Model 27 - "Highway Patrolman" N Frame 41 mag. Nice piece.
    Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 04-18-2006 at 09:07 PM.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Forum Member

The "Highway Patrolman" was in .357 MAG., not .41.

IIRC, the issue in the 70's was the Model 66 .357 MAG.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

O.com 11th member
    Also note they are changing to the 4006 TSW (which has also been discontinued)...

Best thing I could ever say about S&W Autos is that, Smith and Wesson makes great revolvers!
    "Oro En Paz, Fierro En Guerra"
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    - Attributed to both George Orwell and Winston Churchill (unsourced)
    Californian by birth, Cardinals fan by marriage!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 23queen5
    The Smith and Wesson 5906 in .40 S&W <---its awesome

as for their 1970s gun, i have no clue, probably the Model 10 Smith and Wesson .38 special
    I don't really care for the gun personally. The Troopers up here used to use it. As a municipal cop I went to the same acadmey with the Troopers and I saw a lot of malfunctions when the Glocks, HK's and Sigs kept working. They also were nicked named the meatgrinder because when practicing malfunction drills the recruits would get their hands cut up on the decocking levers when working the slide.

They work reasonably well if their kept clean and well maintained. But they don't handle abuse or neglect like most standard service pistols. They are also not all that great in the accuracy department.

There is a reason your seeing a lot of Smiths for sale used as police trade ins. Their not all that popular with most of us.
    Pat
    Firearms Instructor.
    Urban Rifle Instructor.
    Colt M16/AR15 Armorer.
    Glock Armorer.

Forum Member

Our experience with the S&W 6906 was excellent. The guns would fire when they had not been cleaned in a year, and were bone dry. They were not target guns, but accurate enough for service guns. They would not have been my first choice, but they were reliable, accurate, and easy to teach with.
    (The in-service guns for our East Coast people tended to be dry - not much of a gun culture.Yet they would reliably fire the first 2 mags. A few drops of lube, and they would run all day. It would not have mattered what make of gun these folks were issued, they just did not maintain them.)
    As always, your results may vary
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 132nBush
    Current: S&W 4006, .40S&W Caliber, 180gr Winchester Ranger

1970's: S&W Model 19 (K frame), .357mag, (don't know what load)

There's nothing wrong with S&W autos. A lot of the LAPD guys I know love their 4506's and 4566's.

Forum Member

California Highway Patrol Issue Handgun

The thing that I find amazing is that neither the S&W 4006 models they've had nor the 9,700 S&W 4006TSW models they've just ordered to replace them have night-sights.

Forum Member

Maybe they only work during the day?

(Just kidding)
    John Stuart Mill

Not so Special Agent...
    Do you need night sights to change a tire?

SORRY! Couldn't resist

Forum Member

I have proof that a mesquite branch through a sidewall:
    a) finishes off a 8 ply truck tire.
    b) Can be changed in the dark in the desert
    c) Provides endless entertainment for the rest of the guys.

I never saw a CHP change his/her own tire - they used their headlights for the PR tire changes on the side of the road.
    John Stuart Mill