Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PhilipCal
  • 1 Post By mavriktu

Thread: Cleaning a badge...

Forum Member

Cleaning a badge...

Well simple question. What's the best way to clean your badge and give it a new look? I used to use windex cleaner but a co-worker recently not to. Another one of my co-worker said to use Brasso. Any suggestions would be appericated.

Not so Special Agent...
    Well it depends on your badge but I would definitely not use Brasso on mine. I can see the replacement memo now "Dear Chief, No one was more surprised than me...". It will, with time, eat away the plating on your badge and you'll make it worse than if it was just a bit dirty. Most badges are electroplated and you need a cleaner that will not take the plating away, also you need to be careful with the enamel. I would suggest a mild costume jewelry cleaner or getting with the manufacturer (Blackinton for example) and seeing what they suggest.

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by yellowreef
    Well it depends on your badge but I would definitely not use Brasso on mine. I can see the replacement memo now "Dear Chief, No one was more surprised than me...". It will, with time, eat away the plating on your badge and you'll make it worse than if it was just a bit dirty. Most badges are electroplated and you need a cleaner that will not take the plating away, also you need to be careful with the enamel. I would suggest a mild costume jewelry cleaner or getting with the manufacturer (Blackinton for example) and seeing what they suggest.
    That happened to me. I used Brasso and it ate the coating off of it. It looked good for a day, but it started turning green the next.
    Nobody gave me any crap because I am an old timer and didn;t know any better about these new-fangled bagdes

Forum Member

Nevr-Dull works on mine. Works on my Sergeant's badge too. He's been doing this a lot longer than me and his badge isn't eaten away.

You do have to be careful, though. I know you're not supposed to use Brasso on anodized metals (because it will destroy the anodizing, as people have said above), I imagine Nevr-Dull is the same.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCSD
    Well simple question. What's the best way to clean your badge and give it a new look? I used to use windex cleaner but a co-worker recently not to. Another one of my co-worker said to use Brasso. Any suggestions would be appericated.
    The same cleaning solution that jewlers use to clean rings and necklaces should work just fine without hurting the finish.
    Some people are like slinkies. They are not really fun to play with but it sure is fun to watch them fall down the stairs.

Forum Member

Cleaning a badge

If you have an old brass badge, Brasso is the way to go. However, they are becoming rarer and rarer. The new anodized badges seldom require much more than wiping with a clean soft cloth. Use much more and you ruin the finish.
    Iowa #1603 likes this.

Forum Member

I use the jewlery cleaner like everyone mentioned. If mine get real dirty I will dip an old toothbrush in the cleaner and scrub it good. I then rinse it with water and then shine it with one of those jewlery polishing clothes.

chat01
    Well here is how I clean mine..
    I throw it in the wash Machine. I get to wear the sewn on badge patch.
    My metal one is just a piece of pocket jewelry.

L.S.U. FAN (atic)
    Actually,beleive it or not an excellent and cheap and easy method.Toothpaste!! Easy to apply (Uh not the brush in the cup,get another one )brush it in ,wash it off.Been doing it with all my collar brass etc.for years,no problems...
    JDGM0710 likes this.

No Longer Active

mavriktu-
    You said it first!

People laugh, but toothpaste and toothbrush with only limited pressure works great.

Forum Member

I use toothpaste and and old toothbrush. I have also used semi-chrome, however it ate the coating off over time. A gold badge is supposed to be gold, not silver. The toothpaste has never hurt my badge.

Covman

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by covman454
    I use toothpaste and and old toothbrush.The toothpaste has never hurt my badge.
    Quote Originally Posted by hounddog
    People laugh, but toothpaste and toothbrush with only limited pressure works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu
    Actually,beleive it or not an excellent and cheap and easy method.Toothpaste!! Easy to apply brush it in ,wash it off.
    I agree, I've been using it for years and it makes them shine and doesn't damage anything.

Former Cincinnati Police
    A good carnauba or synthetic vehicle wax keeps the badge looking good.

Our badges are clear coated like vehicles are clear coated so that is how I maintain and protect the luster/finish of the badge.

"Let's Roll" - T. Beamer

We Patrol Night and Day
    We recycle our badges as the guys retire and one of our former Sgts decided to buff his hat badge with Brasso and one of those hand-held battery operated shoe buffing gizmos.

When I got promoted I ended up with it. The anodizing was all but gone and the badge looked like crap. I polished it one more time and got it looking pretty good. Then I sprayed it with Krylon Clearcoat Lacquer. It's been over a year and it still looks good.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Black and white taxi
    We have an officer that used steel wool to get the coating off his badge, now he polishes it every morning. He's got the shiniest badge you've ever seen...but he has to polish it every day otherwise it gets oxidized.

Senior Veteran

I think the Blackinton still recommends using soap and water with a soft cloth to dry it. Works well for me on my Hi-Glo badge from their company.
    No, you've got the wrong number. This is 9-1....2.
    - Police Chief Clancy Wiggum

Forum Member

I can say that I was just promoted and the issue gold badge was very dirty and not sparkling like a new badge. The gold color looked like old brass. I tried using toothpaste and a tooth brush. It worked like magic my badge looks brand new. I highly recommend using that method.

Forum Member
    In a bind, one can use toothpaste and toothbrush to do a "quick clean". I used it in a pinch for an Honor Guard Detail and it worked awesomely.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Forum Member

I polished one many years ago starting on the panels with the lettering and ended up with a two-tone gold and silver badge.