Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AK-47 as a Patrol Rifle?

Forum Member

AK-47 as a Patrol Rifle?

What do you guys think about using AK-47's as patrol rifles? Wanted to get some different opinons.

Forum Member
    Marshal County, AL issues them.

Forum Member

They are reliable and accurate enough for most applications. However the rounds are over penatrative. Their not like 223 loads that will stay inside most buildings. The sights suck as does the safety. Personally I would not want one but its far better than having no rifle at all.
    Pat
    Firearms Instructor.
    Urban Rifle Instructor.
    Colt M16/AR15 Armorer.
    Glock Armorer.

No Longer Active

Better than a military surplus M16, not as good as a Mini-14.

TPO
    Forum Member

one of the better options, as far as patrol rifles go.

Forum Member

Your department may have a 'perception' problem. AR's are precieved as the guns of the good guys. AK's are seen as the rifles of terrorists. The public may have a negative reaction to seeing their officers with "terrorist weapons".
    From a handling standpoint, the safety is a major concern. JHP rounds (not the Russian ammo) may reduce the overpenitration risk.

Still better than no rifle at all.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

too bad I hate doughnuts
    AK as a patrol rifle? Is your Dept. starved for money? AK's are the weapons of poor terrorists and 3rd world countries. M4's or 14's are a much better option.

But still it's better then a sharp stick....kinda

Forum Member
    Well, it is about a million times better then a pistol.....

Look at what those perps did, with AKs, in the famous Cali. bank robbery.

At range, beats a pistol or shotgun hands down.

Forum Member

What they did was scare a bunch of people, and miss a lot of people, and wound a few. A fine demonstration of a uselessness of unaimed, full auto fire.

The best thing they did was advance the cause of patrol rifles nation wide.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ford123

Actually in close it beats a pistol and ties a shotgun. Its the best overall weapon system available to the patrol officer. (semi auto 223 carbine)
    Pat
    Firearms Instructor.
    Urban Rifle Instructor.
    Colt M16/AR15 Armorer.
    Glock Armorer.

Visiting Commando Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    What they did was scare a bunch of people, and miss a lot of people, and wound a few. A fine demonstration of a uselessness of unaimed, full auto fire.

The best thing they did was advance the cause of patrol rifles nation wide.
    I thought the fact they were wearing armor did more for getting patrol rifles in vehicles than what the BGs were armed with.

It would of been a different story if they had actually been proficient marksman, but they probably wouldn't of been wild firing so much if they had the dedication to be that level of marksman.

I remember that they wounded a few LAPD, but did they actually hit anything they were shooting at?

Forum Member

Imagine how nasty North Hollywood would have been had Platt and Matix of "The Miami Massacre" been the guys with body armor and full auto weapons...

In fact, lets not even go that far...just imagine if they had, instead of head to toe protection, just balistic vests similar to what the FBI had but weren't using...

Platt kept fighting after being hit in the chest with a good, supposedly fatal round.

What would have happened if he didn't take that round in the chest and Matix, who I believe was killed early on, carried his end of the deal...

Think happy thoughts...

Forum Member

Matix & PLatt were both killed at the end of the event, but Matix only fired 1 round.

Another reminder that it's the men, not the tools, that matter.
    John Stuart Mill

Forum Member

While that is true, the tools are still a factor, just not the way most people tend to think. And you can take that in a million different directions.

Forum Member
    Perhaps I'm a relic of the Cold War, but the thought of any police department in the United States using an AK-47 Kalashnikov really turns my stomach.
    Disclaimer: The opinions I expressed here are mine and mine alone. They do not necessarily reflect the positions any other known person or organization.

Forum Member
    get someone to license a mp44 , they seen to perform well on p.s. 2 games....
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Forum Member

Ah, if life was just a video game, where everyone gets another life......
    John Stuart Mill

Forum Member
    I brought this thread up last year (do a search). I carry both an Ak 47 and a surplus M16A1 (full sized rifle). The M16 rides in the trunk and has been scoped. The Ak rides up front with me. I work for a rural Police department; with several Chalk mines and plants in the city. Everything gets a fine coating of white chalk on them. Due to the expose of the chalk and such in my city, I can rely on the Ak going bang in that time of need. Also the Ak is smaller than my M16 and is easier to move around in house when clearing them. I also removed the wood stock of my Ak and replaced them with black synthetic stocks, to Joe public it is just another "Black" gun.
    I checked the search and I posted this topic on 1-27-05.
    Last edited by JKump; 04-15-2006 at 06:28 PM.
    Live everyday as if it is your Last! Because someday you will be right.

Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Visiting Commando Leader

Well, you could consider Body Armor a save point restore, Sleuth. Sorta...

Forum Member

Well I got an ak now which rides in the front seat and an ar-15 with a scope in the trunk. We work in a rural county and seeing how it is texas, everyone has guns so it is better to have options, JMO.

No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by ford123

Every time you para-miltary types want to justify having M-4's and stuff you bring up that Cali bank robbery

I could have taken down those jokers with a revolver, two speed loaders and well placed head shots

Maybe you guys need to learn how to shoot instead of just getting fancier guns

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Gonzales
    What do you guys think about using AK-47's as patrol rifles? Wanted to get some different opinons.

No. I like .223 for urban enviroments. .223 generally dosen't over penetrate.

Forum Member
    glad yr offering yr words of wisdom from poe-dunk, va.

with the amount of time you spend as municipal dog catcher,

and aux police ' special'. how do you find time to overload

your brain and give us your vast experience and wisdom ?.....
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hogswine
    Every time you para-miltary types want to justify having M-4's and stuff you bring up that Cali bank robbery

I could have taken down those jokers with a revolver, two speed loaders and well placed head shots

Maybe you guys need to learn how to shoot instead of just getting fancier guns
    You would have needed extra ammo with that revolver?

However...as long as its brought up...THREAD DRIFT...

I have heard this refered to as "a hardware answer to a software problem" as in instead of more and better training on a regular basis, its easier or more politicaly expedient to:

buy new hardware ("Shooting incident had 12 shots fired, poor hit ratio...um...everyone...we are going to get new guns...that will fix the problem...we hope..."),

modify existing hardware (Guns being modified to DAO with a heavy trigger) or

ban a piece of hardware (No more blackjacks...)

In addition to that, when do you find that a change in technology is not simply a quick fix, but a necessary tool?

Forum Member

I will never forget that one officer, at the press confrence: "He looked me in the eye, and I just knew I was going to die".
    Why wasn't the officer going "Sight alignment, Trigger Press, now where is that other bad guy?"

And I agree, more/better training, not more guns. But I am a strong exponent of rifles - and I was before the N. Hollywood shootout.
    John Stuart Mill

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last