Forum Member

Question Waiting 24 hours to report a missing person?

This may be a silly question but...

Do you still have to wait 24 hours to report someone missing if you've received a call from someone threatening to harm the person (the one missing)?

I mean, if there is a threat involved does that change things?

Charges-Like-Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Novel_Writer

Do you still have to wait 24 hours to report someone missing if you've received a call from someone threatening to harm the person (the one missing)?
    No. You never have to wait 24 hours- under any circumstance. If it's a healthy adult that's missing, then there must be something suspicious behind their disappearance. But there is no time limit.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Forum Member
    Not in SC... you report it, we investigate it, whatevet time has elapsed.

Hawkeye Pride
    Quote Originally Posted by Most_Wanted
    +1 for Texas
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Forum Member
    Ditto in Illinois

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Most_Wanted
    Add another +1 for Kentucky. Some departments may give you that line, but it's bullsheeit. I look at it this way, the quicker you report it, the quicker I can get it entered into NCIC, the better chance you have of getting your loved one back. We got a teletype about a month ago from the FBI offering assistance for any missing persons case.

The majority of ours are habitual runaways though. Every once in a while we'll have one with suspicious circumstances. Regardless, they are entered as soon as the officer brings in the case report, and NCIC forms.
    Police Dispatcher, Central KY.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvandecar
    Add another +1 for Kentucky. Some departments may give you that line, but it's bullsheeit. I look at it this way, the quicker you report it, the quicker I can get it entered into NCIC, the better chance you have of getting your loved one back. We got a teletype about a month ago from the FBI offering assistance for any missing persons case.

The majority of ours are habitual runaways though. Every once in a while we'll have one with suspicious circumstances. Regardless, they are entered as soon as the officer brings in the case report, and NCIC forms.

+1 Maryland. However... some times with the healthy adults who have never done this before you can pretty much assume that they either got locked up when they went out on Saturday night... or they are over a "friend's" house.

We have a local woman who is extremely possessive of her husband and calls when he is running late to get home from work or she just doesnt know where he is.
    Stay safe.... or stay home.

Englewood Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc
    Ditto in Illinois
    LOL...except for when you come out of your crack haze or heroine haze and you report your 13 year old missing since....."lemme tink office....i tink i seen him about tree days ago. Mights be fo' days. I's dont remember."
    "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcopd79

We have a local woman who is extremely possessive of her husband and calls when he is running late to get home from work or she just doesnt know where he is.

Wow. lol

Thanks for the replies.

Senior Veteran
    No time limits at all in the UK.

Missing from home or mispers get graded as low,medium or high risk. We even have dedicated missing from home managers who are usually sergeants or inspectors who will normally get involved with high risk mispers.

Lobster.

Forum Member

Thank you.

jakflak

I mean, if there is a threat involved does that change things?
    That's just in the movies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakflak
    That's just in the movies.
    lol. thanks...I'm trying to make this as realistic as possible....so if a cop reads it they are not shaking there head negatively the whole time.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    lol. thanks...I'm trying to make this as realistic as possible....so if a cop reads it they are not shaking there head negatively the whole time.
    It all depends on what you'll create as the situation and the response. Here in the Big City, West Coast, just in one geographic area we can get about three to four missing persons in a day. We do not start "investigations" where we immediately follow all leads, question the local sex offenders, and round up the ususal suspects.

Although a missing person report is taken, and the M/P's info is placed in the NCIC computer database, the paper often sits untouched by an investigator for a couple of days. Typically, the investigator goes through those preliminary reports and learns that all but one of the M/P's he/she's been assigned was found, in jail, at their friend's house, drunk in Las Vegas, or in a hospital.

The 'threat' you mention in your first post, might draw more focus on the investigation from the beginning, but who can say...
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

VIP Member - Diamond
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M.
    Although a missing person report is taken, and the M/P's info is placed in the NCIC computer database, the paper often sits untouched by an investigator for a couple of days. Typically, the investigator goes through those preliminary reports and learns that all but one of the M/P's he/she's been assigned was found, in jail, at their friend's house, drunk in Las Vegas, or in a hospital.
    We can check the jails while we are talking to the RP, and our dump desk usually checks the hospitals before the deputy makes contact.

Because of Cara Knott, we follow very strict guidelines when it comes to missing persons calls - no one is told they have to wait - ever!

http://www.sandiegomag.com/issues/fe...aturec0204.asp
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Forum Member

Thank you.

Forum Member

Waiting 24 hours to report missing persons

The so called 24 hour requirement is a myth. Certainly, police action will depend on the circumstances. In the case of an adult, it's not unlawful to be missing,but the depth of the investigation will depend on the circumstances. If foul play is suspected, the search/investigation begins immediately. The same is true of a small child. In the case of teenagers, it will again depend largely on the circumstances. Many teenagers are habitual runaways, and LE agencies aren't babysitters.

Forum Member

Thanks, Phil.

Stranger with good candy
    Same here in Indiana.. no time required to elapse. Matter of fact, thanks to accrediation, policy states you WILL take a report to any and every instance of a missing person (whether its a 'legit' or not). Love that paperwork!
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28