Officer in Training.

Bullet proof windshields for cruisers.

Hello to all. I have noticed that many officers are wounded or killed during a traffic stop when the suspect jumps from his car and opens fire on the officers through the windshield. Don

"STELLEN"
    Very simple answer........too much money involved. Would cost way too much for many departments to afford. Most can barely keep their vehicle fleets updated due to budget restraints let alone afford bullistic windshields.

Officer in Training.
    Thanks for bringing the cost factor up k9tosca. I forgot to mention that in my other post. I'm sure that if officers made it known to the media and public about this big issue that some sort of manner in which to pay for the windshields could be determined. I mean all of those tax dollars that go into unnecessary things could be used in order to protect the officers and the public as well. Even if some departments issued bullet proof windshields to some cruisers i.e. the ones going into the known danger zones that would be a big help.

Combat Veteran
    If only more people thought like you. In fact the average taxpayer could probably give a $%&* less about the police. Taxpayers always look for a way out of spending money on things like that. It will never happen. I wish it was different but until you are either a cop or need one for something you don't appreciate them. There are few people who fit in the other category that actually "care" about police. As in they donate and fight for budget adjustments.
    Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Bored

I think another problem would be the weight. For a clear glass window to be bullet proof, it gonna weigh a ton.
    I got nothing for now

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-man
    I think another problem would be the weight. For a clear glass window to be bullet proof, it gonna weigh a ton.
    The sh**palas definitely couldn't handle the weight.

Forum Member

I don't know where you 'noticed' that many officers are killed stuck in their cars on traffic stops. In fact of all the officers ever killed by suspects in the line of duty I would have to say that the percentage killed that way is extremely low. If you have any facts I would be more than willing to hear them. From what I've read/heard, most shootings are between 5-10 feet and last 2-5 seconds.

The only benifit I would think of bullet proof glass on a squad car would be for cover during a gunfight if your vehicle was close to you. Generally though we are taught to stay away from the "coffins." The black and white is just a big target and seems to draw bullets.
    RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
    RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
    RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
    RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
    RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niceguy07
    Thanks for bringing the cost factor up k9tosca. I forgot to mention that in my other post. I'm sure that if officers made it known to the media and public about this big issue that some sort of manner in which to pay for the windshields could be determined. I mean all of those tax dollars that go into unnecessary things could be used in order to protect the officers and the public as well. Even if some departments issued bullet proof windshields to some cruisers i.e. the ones going into the known danger zones that would be a big help.
    I think if it were left up to tax payers, they rather hire more police than retrofit cruisers with ballistic windshields. This would be especially true in the Republics because people are not allowed the right to self defense so therefore a police officer should be stationed at every intersection in those Republiks.

Ok....finished vent.

Hell on Wheels
    [QUOTE=Niceguy07]Hello to all. I have noticed that many officers are wounded or killed during a traffic stop when the suspect jumps from his car and opens fire on the officers through the windshield. Don
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Forum Member

Reason for Editing.
    Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Forum Member

Give me one example.
    I`ll give you twenty years.

[QUOTE=Niceguy07]Hello to all. I have noticed that many officers are wounded or killed during a traffic stop when the suspect jumps from his car and opens fire on the officers through the windshield. Don

Forum Member

They also draw DUI`s which is a far greater risk.
    The weels and block are cover but I believe that the best cover is accurate return fire.

Since I am here to say that you may believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by MattG
    I don't know where you 'noticed' that many officers are killed stuck in their cars on traffic stops. In fact of all the officers ever killed by suspects in the line of duty I would have to say that the percentage killed that way is extremely low. If you have any facts I would be more than willing to hear them. From what I've read/heard, most shootings are between 5-10 feet and last 2-5 seconds.

The only benifit I would think of bullet proof glass on a squad car would be for cover during a gunfight if your vehicle was close to you. Generally though we are taught to stay away from the "coffins." The black and white is just a big target and seems to draw bullets.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshaldan
    Give me one example.
    I`ll give you twenty years.
    Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but as a WI peace officer I'm sure you recall the father and son bank robbers down near Milwaukee about 10 years ago -- the end of their pursuit, where they ran into the tree in their white van, was caught on video and played about a million times around here. Shortly after they robbed a bank, a suburban PD captain attempted to stop their van and one of the robbers (can't remember which one) exited with an AK-47 and assasinated the captain by firing through the window of his cruiser. He died with his hand on the shotgun he was trying to get out of the rack.

I'm not contesting the points raised earlier -- I too think it's just too much money and difficulty for a very rare occurrence. But it HAS happened.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Officer in Training.
    Even though i am thinking about the safety of officers most of you don

forum member
    Vehicles only stay on the fleet for about a year. Bulletproof windshields would be too costly and it would weigh too much. In our area, there have been no instances of getting shot through the windshield during a chase. (knocking on wood)

The chances of getting shot upon your arrival at your call is also minimal, IF you position your car at least three houses away from the address. Depending on the type of call, it may be further away.

Too many officers drive right up and park in front of the residence. Remember, dispatch can only give you information they are aware of. How many times is what actually is going on differs from what they said?

The key to the traffic stop shootings is to be ready as soon as you stop the car. Watching the occupants is crucial, if they get out, you better get out. If I see the driver start to exit, I immediately tell him to "stay in the car." I believe it is easier to "control" them if they stay inside.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 03-05-2006 at 06:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kirch
    Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but as a WI peace officer I'm sure you recall the father and son bank robbers down near Milwaukee about 10 years ago -- the end of their pursuit, where they ran into the tree in their white van, was caught on video and played about a million times around here. Shortly after they robbed a bank, a suburban PD captain attempted to stop their van and one of the robbers (can't remember which one) exited with an AK-47 and assasinated the captain by firing through the window of his cruiser. He died with his hand on the shotgun he was trying to get out of the rack.

I'm not contesting the points raised earlier -- I too think it's just too much money and difficulty for a very rare occurrence. But it HAS happened.
    I suppose any scenario is possible, but in this case I don't think a "bulletproof" winshield would do anything in this situation. I have seen the AK in action, and if the dude is spraying the car with the 7.62 it would not hold up. I have seen the AK go through concrete walls, telephone poles and the like. Why worry about the windshiled when the round is probably going through the engine block.

Forum Member
    Bulletproof windows are a bad idea because they can trap you in your vehicle. Also heaven forbid you are not wearing your seatbelt when you get into an accident. With regular glass the window breaks and you go through it. Bulletproof glass cracks your skull and breaks your neck.
    R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Banned

We had a transport unit with bulet proof glass both front and back and it weighs a ton, not to mention the gas miliage, I have only seen it used one time. I agree I would not want to use it, I cant get out if I need too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattG

The only benefit I would think of bullet proof glass on a squad car would be for cover during a gunfight if your vehicle was close to you. Generally though we are taught to stay away from the "coffins." The black and white is just a big target and seems to draw bullets.
    We've had several coppers injured while taking rounds through the windshield during pursuits or just prior to the susp's car stopping. However, I still wouldnt want a bullet proof windshield. I would rather have, ballistic doors.

Forum Member

About an Idea for better protection.

How about a added on simple protection device, so when an officer is working on a dangerous situation and weapons are being used a device could be pulled up like a second window...Sort of like what NASCAR does to keep the windows clean of deb-re.
    It could be hooked on to the hood and when ever any stop is being made you could press a button and the second windshield device could be pull up.
    Would look like a bug shield and clear, but with bullet proof glass or plastic type glass,hooked up on the electric run through car battery.
    It would be made strong enough to be used on the hood and would not move while a top speed ranges and would only be pulled up during stops and dangerous situations or with the officers discretion.

My idea would be a lot cheaper and could be used on any cars and would be easy to replace.
    I would call it: The DLbulletdstopper
    That is just a small sample of *my idea..But it needs some work for improvement.
    Last edited by frank; 04-11-2006 at 01:29 PM.