"Baltimore Bad Boys"

Help Me Out Family My First Police Presentation 4 Kids

Ok this is what i have, honarary police items to give away after the presentation, a video with police stuff. Any suggestions. im doing a presentation for about 50 kids age 6-8. The area where I will be presenting has a GOOD history with police, meaning these kids DONT have the hateful bug implanted into them from deadbeat parents. ANY suggestions would be HELPFUL!!! And oh yeah the kids have been talking about it all week so its kinda hyped up. GAMES ESPECIALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME OUT..
    Last edited by acebpd0304; 03-03-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    www.swornpigs.com
    ((Everybody's Got A Plan Until They Get Hit))

"Baltimore Bad Boys"

guess no one can help me!!

sighhh
    www.swornpigs.com

"Baltimore Bad Boys"
    with all the great police minds in here no one deals with kids??
    www.swornpigs.com

Cherub of Justice
    Relax man, you just posted this today.

Anyway, I've done a bunch of these. Not many people enjoy any sort of public speaking, but I don't mind. I really enjoy a classroom full of kids. They will be thrilled with anything you have to say, believe me.

Bring some visual aids, a fully loaded patrol car is ideal if you can take them outside to show it too them.

Tell them when to dial 911. talk about cyber safety.

I've done a couple of High School classes dealing with law and politics. Those kids just wanted to know about the time they got a ticket, or their buddy got arrested. The dullest class of kids I ever presented to was at a University. Those kids sat there like they were dead. The topic was racial profiling, and I know I said some things that surprized the proffesor (she told me so, later, in private) but the kids couldn't care less.

Little kids, like your class, will be a lot of fun.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

You are next...
    I have given a few presentations to Boy Scout troops and stuff.

This is my basic format....

Introduction: My name, Where I work, How long employed, Why I became an officer

The Job I do: My "basic" day - Briefing, Training, Routine calls, Shift etc.

Main Topic: Whatever you present on "I came here today to talk to you about (drugs, alcohol, stranger danger etc.) Include class participation... "can anyone tell me...." "does anyone know..." kids like to talk...

Q and A session... kids will asked the funniest stuff....

Then thank them for listening so well, offer them a cop card, let them know we are their to help etc.

Thats basically what I do
    Retired 02/01/13

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    You are about to do what I feel is the most special aspect of your job - you will affect these kids for the rest of their lives.

No big words. No cop lingo. You catch "bad guys" not criminals. You have a "gun" not a "weapon" or "Glock" etc.

You have a "Beat'em up stick" not an ASP.

Sit down on the floor with them crossed legs "Indian Style" in a round circle. Pass around your riot helmet if you have one and tap them on the head with your asp. Their laughter will echo the hallways.

Change the subject every ten minutes - kids have a very quick attention span. Finally, I used to make them all take an oath as official, junior police officers:

"I promise to tell the truth, clean my room, follow the rules and eat my vegetables -- even Lima Beans!"

After a rooom full of giggles, give'm all their stickers or plastic badges and make sure you get a high five afterword.

AND DO NOT FORGET ANYONE!
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Forum Member
    We just got done with a group of 4-5 year olds. We talked about seatbelts and bicycle safety. Of course, 911 and strangers. They loved the blue lights and siren. We took pictures of each class in front of the 2 H.E.A.T. cars. Getting a teacher to sit in the back seat is always fun too. The Q&A session should be a little better with your age group. We covered not taking things that don't belong to them. They will ask you why you have a gun. Be prepared with a good answer like to keep bad people from hurting you, or whatever else is appropriate. We didn't have any visual aids other than handcuffs, so we're going to have to work on that. Another area of concern is that some parents raise their children to fear the police, always telling them that "the police are going to come get you". Make sure you let them know that we are they to help and protect them. Hope this helps a little.

"Baltimore Bad Boys"

Huge Help

Yeah i was a little on egde about gettn some info but you guys help a lot...This presentation is monday i have 1 1/2 hours.. im kinda nervous but like 1 of you said this is the most important part of the job. thnx alot guys anyone else with ideas feel free to post..
    www.swornpigs.com

Rock Out W/Your Glock Out

Quote Originally Posted by acebpd0304
    Yeah i was a little on egde about gettn some info but you guys help a lot...This presentation is monday i have 1 1/2 hours.. im kinda nervous but like 1 of you said this is the most important part of the job. thnx alot guys anyone else with ideas feel free to post..
    Don't really have any advice to give seeing as I'm not in LE yet; however let us know how it goes. Best of Luck!
    The kids will love ya!

"Baltimore Bad Boys"
    Quote Originally Posted by t_law21
    Don't really have any advice to give seeing as I'm not in LE yet; however let us know how it goes. Best of Luck!
    The kids will love ya!
    yeah thnx im gettn some great ideas
    www.swornpigs.com

Forum Member

That should be easy, kids will be fun.

I only have had a problem with 1 or 2 presentations that made me fear public speaking with a passion that was back in HS, but I realized theres nothing to be scared of and just use that nervousness as a positive energy, and im just fine now

youl do just fine, especially with kids

Forum Member
    Is McGruff the crime dog still around does he have a web site?

Do a google search of kids and cops.

Web sites they and their parents can go to for info and fun.

NRA Eddie Eagle gun safety.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

"Baltimore Bad Boys"

Unbelievable

IT WENT GREAT!!!! the kids loved me and the teacher asked me to come back and talk to another class!! It was clearly the best thing have done since i got this uniform
    www.swornpigs.com

Forum Member
    Glad it went well and you enjoyed it! Sounds like you found a new calling.

Forum Member

Forgive my lateness, but it looks like you'll be doing some more of these talks so I'll add a little. I've done a few of these, not many, but more than a couple. Something that worked for me was pointing to the different pieces of equipment on my belt and choosing volunteers to tell what they are. Then I'd ask the kids to tell me which piece of equipment they think gets used the most. Some would say handcuffs, others would say stick or flashlight. Some would even say the gun. My answer would be no to all of these and then I'd pull out my pen and notepad and tell them these 2 things get used more than anything else. That's why its so important for them to learn reading and writing.

Inevitably someone will want to know about your gun, so be prepared for that. You can bring it up yourself for the last piece of equipment during show and tell or for Q&A. I usually tell them that I carry a gun to keep bad guys from hurting them or anyone else. I then go into some gun safety. You know, if you're playing at a friends house or at a park and you see a gun on the ground don't touch it. Go find a grown-up and show them where you found it but don't touch it. If mommy or daddy owns a gun it's supposed to be locked away in a safe place where you can't get to it. You get the idea.

Just my $2.14

Rock Out W/Your Glock Out

Quote Originally Posted by acebpd0304
    IT WENT GREAT!!!! the kids loved me and the teacher asked me to come back and talk to another class!! It was clearly the best thing have done since i got this uniform

Told ya they'd love ya!
    Good to hear that you got this one under your belt, & many more in the future. Just think.....maybe a few of these kids will take everything you had to say into consideration for their future profession choices.
    I'm sure a lot of them will look up to you now; wave & smile when they see you out in public, & brag that they know who you are.

Just wondering, what exactly did you do in your presentation?