Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    Forum Member

Federal Reserve Law Enforcement Officer

Anyone know anything about the Federal Reserve Law Enforcement Officer positions? I know they work at the Federal Reserve Bank but that's about all I know. I'm assuming by reading about it they are sworn Federal LEO's. They have some openings here in town and I was curious as to good to get into? I tried doing a search on the internet to no avail. Any input?

Wrong Place, Right Time.
    There are 12 districts and each district runs on its own. You are there to provide police and security to the facility, (mostly security).

On the sworn end, (except for NY branch), is not much. your FLEO "training" does not carry you to any other Federal agency at all. You do not attend FLETC nor is your training FLETC recognized.

I have no information of the area outside of the 12th (Western states) area so I cannot say anything about the other districts....
    ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KCSpartacus
    Anyone know anything about the Federal Reserve Law Enforcement Officer positions? I know they work at the Federal Reserve Bank but that's about all I know. I'm assuming by reading about it they are sworn Federal LEO's. They have some openings here in town and I was curious as to good to get into? I tried doing a search on the internet to no avail. Any input?
    The ones you are talking about (knowing where you are at) are more security guards than LEOs. Lots of post standing and foot patrol around the bank area and it's property.
    They are well paid (compared to some of the smaller cities around KC) but do not take home weapons.
    A lot of them carry LEO commissions part-time elsewhere.....and the bank seems to not care at this time.

I am getting this all from a retired CPT that worked there....and still does part-time who just happens to be on my City Council......

Forum Member
    I worked for the Fed. In Portland, Oregon. They carry a Federal Commission but are not federal Officers. Check out the Federal Reserve Act of 1913 for more info. They got their Police powers (in general, some had it locally already) after 9/11. It is more security then anything but a good job with a great benefit/medical package. I liked it but was looking for a little bit more.
    In God we trust, everyone else we search!

Wrong Place, Right Time.
    Having said what I said.. it may be a good place to start out..

I know quite a few working at the local FRB..... they seem to like it there
    ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

Forum Member
    I can't speak for everywhere, but in my district, we are sworn federal law enforcement with nationwide authority. Out training is recognized and approved by FLETC. Theres a section of the academy mandated specifically by FLETC so we'd meet their standards. Besides our academy, we send officers to FLETC from time to time for specific courses. I have one coming up next month. Several of the officers in my district have been to the FBI National Academy.

We sent a team down to work Katrina. That was a memorable experience. It's not all boring, and it is the real deal. Is being a federal law enforcement officer at the Fed the most exciting thing on the planet? No way. But the benefits are great, my pay is higher that any other agency in my area except one, and I look forward to going to work every day. I get sent on details or out of town just enough to keep things fresh.

Not all districts are squared away. If you're considering entering federal LE via the Federal Reserve, ask lots of questions. Keep in mind that fun assignments tend to go to experienced or established officers. New folks have some dues to pay. If they're a good section, they'll be happy to provide you some information about the prospective job. If you don't like the answers, or don't get them, walk away and apply with another agency or district.

Forum Member

What do you mean you have 'nationwide' authority? I'm assuming that you're speaking of being able to enforce a limited scope of USC's and/or CFR's on federal reserve property. How is your district considered FLE, yet every other one is not, especially since you only have an in-house academy (no actual attendance at FLETC mixed basic)?

On another board questions were asked abot the actual 'police' duties the poster was claiming to do, but the person wouldn't even say how many or what kind of arrests their agency made (or if they just detained them for locals who then made the actual arrest).

On paper lots of 'police' jobs look like the hottest thing since sliced bread, but in reality they can be far different....
    Last edited by coyote135; 03-04-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Motor Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Ryobi
    I can't speak for everywhere, but in my district, we are sworn federal law enforcement with nationwide authority. Out training is recognized and approved by FLETC. Theres a section of the academy mandated specifically by FLETC so we'd meet their standards. Besides our academy, we send officers to FLETC from time to time for specific courses. I have one coming up next month. Several of the officers in my district have been to the FBI National Academy.

We sent a team down to work Katrina. That was a memorable experience. It's not all boring, and it is the real deal. Is being a federal law enforcement officer at the Fed the most exciting thing on the planet? No way. But the benefits are great, my pay is higher that any other agency in my area except one, and I look forward to going to work every day. I get sent on details or out of town just enough to keep things fresh.

Not all districts are squared away. If you're considering entering federal LE via the Federal Reserve, ask lots of questions. Keep in mind that fun assignments tend to go to experienced or established officers. New folks have some dues to pay. If they're a good section, they'll be happy to provide you some information about the prospective job. If you don't like the answers, or don't get them, walk away and apply with another agency or district.
    Not to take away from the Federal Reserve Officers, however they are not Federal law enforcement officers. Simple test is that they are not paid by the Federal Government, they don't receive Federal government retirement, and their training is done locally or in house. Every Federal law enforcement job is classed in the federal government by a job classification series, such as 1811, 0083, etc. Federal Reserve Police, have no such classifcation because they are not federal employees. Sorry to rain on peoples parades, however the only thing federal about the Reserve Officers is the name. This is simply because they work in the Federal Reserve.

Forum Member
    Yep. You're right. If you ignore my federal commission, federal credentials, and jurisdiction, I'm not federal. If you ignore my birth certificate and the constitution, I'm not american. If I ignore your last post, you might make sense. Any high school kid who reads up on the federal reserve can figure it out. The only folks in the FRS besides the Board of Governors that are legally federal when on duty are the FPS and the Federal Reserve Police. I've worked details with the FPS. I don't pretend they're less than they are, and you shouldn't either. Quite frankly, I'm suprised at you. And hey, we all get the same emails- what's up with so many FPS folks losing their creds or leaving them in their cars and having them stolen? That's risky. Take care.

Forum Member

Yep. You're right. If you ignore my federal commission, federal credentials, and jurisdiction, I'm not federal. If you ignore my birth certificate and the constitution, I'm not american. If I ignore your last post, you might make sense. Any high school kid who reads up on the federal reserve can figure it out. The only folks in the FRS besides the Board of Governors that are legally federal when on duty are the FPS and the Federal Reserve Police. I've worked details with the FPS. I don't pretend they're less than they are, and you shouldn't either. Quite frankly, I'm suprised at you. And hey, we all get the same emails- what's up with so many FPS folks losing their creds or leaving them in their cars and having them stolen? That's risky. Take care.
    You claim to have a federal commission, credentials, and jurisdiction. That is all in your eyes, but none of that is accepted by the rest of the federal government. Sorry, but I too also agree with FPS. You are not a federal employee and your jursdiction is limited to the FRB grounds. Again i'm not knocking your gig, but trying to sound like something your're not is a disservice to people on here.

Federal Reserve - Would you mind answering my question in regards to the number of ACTUAL arrests your agency does? I'm speaking of those where you are the investigating, arresting, AND booking agency (not just detaining until the locals take over).
    Last edited by coyote135; 03-05-2006 at 01:19 AM.

Motor Officer

40 USC 1315

(b) Officers and Agents.
    Last edited by FPS1588; 03-05-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Forum Member

To my knowledge, the officers at the Federal Reserve facility in Charlotte derive their police authority from the North Carolina "Company Police Act". That means they have the power of a police officer on their property and very limited authority off their property. They also attend North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Training.

I do not work for them, so my information may be outdated or wrong.

Forum Member

I'm aware of the North Carolina "Company Police" Act. It is a way for private insitutions such as shopping malls, hospitals, factories, and colleges to have a private police force. Yes they are BLET trained, but as you said, their powers are derived from North Carolina statutes, not federal. And since they are 'private' police per se, they do not fall under HR218.

I would stil like to hear the actual number of ACTUAL arrests the place where Ryobi works has done. I'm speaking of those where they were the investigating, arresting, AND booking agency (not just detaining until the locals take over).

One Night In Bangkok
    The only fed reserve folks who are federal employees are those assigned to DC that work directly for the chairman and board of governors. There "federal" authority lies from a part of the Patriot Act hence forth why a majority use local special police certifications.

The fed reserve police also have no union rights and are right to work facilities with no civil circus protection.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member
    No offense taken. With the amount of misinformation out there I might reach the same conclusion as you if I didn't know better. Our creds say "Is a duly commissioned Federal Law Enforcement Officer...blah blah.. pursuant to section 11(q) of 12 U.S. C. 248.

[QUOTE=FPS1588]40 USC 1315

(b) Officers and Agents.

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote135
    I'm aware of the North Carolina "Company Police" Act. It is a way for private insitutions such as shopping malls, hospitals, factories, and colleges to have a private police force. Yes they are BLET trained, but as you said, their powers are derived from North Carolina statutes, not federal. And since they are 'private' police per se, they do not fall under HR218.

I would stil like to hear the actual number of ACTUAL arrests the place where Ryobi works has done. I'm speaking of those where they were the investigating, arresting, AND booking agency (not just detaining until the locals take over).
    They do fall under HR 218.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

Fed Reserve Police

Dumb guy question......I'm an 0083 with a title 38 agency and my creds say nothing about being a "Federal Law Enforcement Officer"; if you could direct me to the section that you quoted below where it says that, I'd appreciate it. I see the term "law enforcement officer" thrown around, which is how my identification reads as well, but no "Federal LEO" I could see.

(q) Uniform protection authority for Federal reserve facilities

(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, to authorize
    personnel to act as law enforcement officers to protect and safeguard
    the premises, grounds, property, personnel, including members of the
    Board, of the Board, or any Federal reserve bank, and operations
    conducted by or on behalf of the Board or a reserve bank.
    (2) The Board may, subject to the regulations prescribed under
    paragraph (5), delegate authority to a Federal reserve bank to authorize
    personnel to act as law enforcement officers to protect and safeguard
    the bank's premises, grounds, property, personnel, and operations
    conducted by or on behalf of the bank.
    (3) Law enforcement officers designated or authorized by the Board
    or a reserve bank under paragraph (1) or (2) are authorized while on
    duty to carry firearms and make arrests without warrants for any offense
    against the United States committed in their presence, or for any felony
    cognizable under the laws of the United States committed or being
    committed within the buildings and grounds of the Board or a reserve
    bank if they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be
    arrested has committed or is committing such a felony. Such officers
    shall have access to law enforcement information that may be necessary
    for the protection of the property or personnel of the Board or a
    reserve bank.
    (4) For purposes of this subsection, the term ``law enforcement
    officers'' means personnel who have successfully completed law
    enforcement training and are authorized to carry firearms and make
    arrests pursuant to this subsection.
    (5) The law enforcement authorities provided for in this subsection
    may be exercised only pursuant to regulations prescribed by the Board
    and approved by the Attorney General.

Keep on rollin',
    RKC

Back in the Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by FPS1588
    Simple test is that they are not paid by the Federal Government, they don't receive Federal government retirement, and their training is done locally or in house. Every Federal law enforcement job is classed in the federal government by a job classification series, such as 1811, 0083, etc. Federal Reserve Police, have no such classifcation because they are not federal employees. Sorry to rain on peoples parades, however the only thing federal about the Reserve Officers is the name. This is simply because they work in the Federal Reserve.
    Is what you describe above really a simple test? You could make the same argument about the Postal Police and US Postal Inspectors. Inspectors don't attend FLETC-CITP do they? The Postal Service is a governmental corporation and as such is self supporting. Taxes do not pay for their operating expenses, postage does, but nobody argues that the Post Office and its employees aren't "Federal."

A quote from the Board of Governors website about the 12 District Banks:
    The Federal Reserve System is not "owned" by anyone and is not a private, profit-making institution. Instead, it is an independent entity within the government, having both public purposes and private aspects.

The Federal Reserve is a quasi governmental institution in a similar manner to the Postal Service and a number of other governmental corporations. You guys are arguing about semantics here. Listen to yourselves arguing about whether somebody is "Federal" and whether or not they are "Real Law Enforcement."

Debate and discuss issues that are applicable like "Does the Fed retirement transfer to other systems" NO or "Does the FLETC approved training transfer over to other agencies" NO

I'd venture to say there are lots of cops from many federal police departments (including many in FPS) who because on their assignment never make arrests. Does this mean they aren't "Law Enforcement" ? Of course not.
    If you see me running try to keep up!

Forum Member
    I would agree with Leeroy, Facility policing is very different then being a city or county cop, being a cop is being a cop I work in the VA as a cop, am i less of a cop then FPS ( No) we just are doing different type of policing. I feel that FRB Police are police and like all of us have our little jurisdiction and lets face it those of us who have been city cops and have gone to the federal side look at this kind of policing as being a palace guard. Which is cool with me.

Motor Officer

Quote Originally Posted by fedcop64
    I would agree with Leeroy, Facility policing is very different then being a city or county cop, being a cop is being a cop I work in the VA as a cop, am i less of a cop then FPS ( No) we just are doing different type of policing. I feel that FRB Police are police and like all of us have our little jurisdiction and lets face it those of us who have been city cops and have gone to the federal side look at this kind of policing as being a palace guard. Which is cool with me.
    You are absolutely correct. I wasn't in no way shape or form implying that the FRB police were less than any other police agency. I was simply stating, as far as my knowledge of the Fed Gov, it didn't appear that they were Federal officers. Ryobi corrected me and provided me information that I wasn't aware of and now I am clear. I was a local cop for 10 years and have only been with FPS for 2 years. I am sorry to say that, and for lack of a better term, the only "real police" are local cops. My job makes me primarily highly paid security and I am not afraid to admit it.

Forum Member

Ryobi - How about the question reagrding the number of arrests (arrest, investigate AND booking...not detain and wait for the 'locals') your agency location did during for the year 2005? I'm not saying they are not LE, because they don't make arrests, but if they don't, just say so....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv
    They do fall under HR 218.
    My understanding is that private police including those who are police officers for private colleges, hospitals, railroads, and such do not fall under HR218 since they are not employed by a government agency.

Forum Member

Pro-active

I often hear some districts are more LE orientated and full of tactical units and good morale and others you're basically a security guard. Can you tell us these such districts? Or at least tell us the district in which people seem to enjoy working for the most?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coyote135
    My understanding is that private police including those who are police officers for private colleges, hospitals, railroads, and such do not fall under HR218 since they are not employed by a government agency.
    Never heard that. I know some guys from UP and BNSF RR and they all carry under 218........

Forum Member

From the FOP website "FAQ" section on HR218:

I am a fully-sworn law enforcement officer with statutory law enforcement authority, but I work for AMTRAK, a private university or other nongovernmental employer. I attended the same police academy, received the same training and meet the same qualifications as my law enforcement colleagues in my State. Am I able to carry under the provisions of H.R. 218?

No. You must be an employee of a local, State or Federal governmental agency to carry a firearm under the provisions of this legislation. With that said, the F.O.P. has been aware of regulatory precedent in which some nongovernmental agencies received a waiver or special recognition declaring them to be a governmental agency for the purposes of certain sections of Title 18, Chapter 44 of the U.S. Code. The F.O.P. is investigating these precedents, but would emphasize that, at this time, law enforcement officers employed by a non-governmental agency are not eligible to carry under the provisions of the Law Enforcement Officers. Safety Act.

>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, the BNSF guys in North Kansas City and KCK are allowed to carry off-duty. I think that is due to state laws in Missouri and Kansas, in which they carry commissions, rather than HR218.
    Last edited by coyote135; 03-08-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... Last