Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Alaska Railroad Special Agent?

Anyone know anything about them?

Forum Member

Why are you interested in being one or just curious? I'm applying for the position and to me it's the perfect dreamjob but it might be a little out of my league. It's basically railroad police. The term special agent carried through the generations kinda by tradition. There are places online that tell you the story of the railroad special agent.

Forum Member

It's actually a job I've been interested in for several years now, ever since I lived up there. I kind of look at it as a challenging job with a lot of unknowns. I know a lot of the rail cops I've talked to in the past state it's the best kept secret in law enforcement. I've been looking for an excuse to move back up to Alaska and with what they're offering for starting pay, if I get an offer either in Anchorage or Fairbanks I'm gone.

Why do you feel it might be out of your league?

Forum Member

Well it's kinda complicated. I'm fairly new but very willing to be the best STATE LEO I can be but all of the local agencies around here either want someone who is really experienced or a buddy of someone who is already there. I have one year as a D.A. cop and they all think we are just glorified security guards so getting my foot in the door is pretty difficult. It just kind of seems like the job I could get if I already was in a local agency. i.e. another guy I know who is 10 years older than me is applying which almost makes me want to give up. But I wont. Who knows I got in here so maybe theres a chance.
    I did call the human resources yesterday and they told me that everyone who applied met the minimum qualifications and were being sent to the hiring authority. However she also said the hiring authority is on leave and won't be back till monday. Your right with that kind of pay starting I'll apply just for the fun of it.
    I've met one of them, I think there is only one or two of then in Fairbanks, he said he's been there for 12 years and the caseload is just getting to much and they are losing patrol time so they need more officer(s). I believe they get a special commission from the governor as state certified LEO's but mainly concentrate on the rail systems obviously. I couldn't think of a better place to hang my hat but I guess we'll see if I get a call. Maybe then I can stop dreaming about it. Good luck!

Forum Member

Glad to hear we all made the first cut. Well, maybe not, that means more people to compete with. I figure these jobs are going to be hard to come by too. LEO jobs in Ak aren't all that plentiful, and this seems like a prime job with awesome pay for someone who is retiring from the military with 20+ years, or retiring from one of the civlian agencies in the state. I'm not really sure where I stand either. I've got 9 1/2 yrs in the AF as an SP, CJ degree, and currently a Deputy in SW Florida.

The one thing I will tell you is do not give up. I know it can be fustrating, especially when you look at some of the experience you are going up against, but anything can happen and you have no idea what they are looking for. You would be surprised how many certified officers I have tested with for jobs in the past whom never made it even half way through the testing process. Good luck to you too. I'll shoot you a PM if I hear anything from them.

Forum Member

Thanks I'll do the same.

msw
    Forum Member

Railroad cop duties?

What does a RR Cop do in a typical day? What are some of the duties? At first glance, I'd think it'd be ...... boring ...... but I don't have a clue what they really do, and I'm curious. Enquiring mimes want to know.

Forum Member

Well on top of everything that a local patrolman does a railroad special agent does specialized police work such as having knowledge of how a railroad accident investigation goes or knowledge of it's operations and bylaws that a normal police officer would not recognize. Rail system laws tack on a whole new set of laws that only apply on the rail, it's property and it's right of ways. My guess but I've talked to one of the agents here in Alaska and he says they cover everything from patrolling in track cars up and down the line to helping TSA in the depot making sure all the passengers are doing the right things. I do bet that investigating a derailment to see if there was foul play would definately take some specialized knowledge on top of formulas that no city cop would ever deal with. I can see in a job like this that there probably aren't as many idiots to deal with sort of like at an airport. But I'm sure there are crimes between employees or sneaky passengers which would take some proactiveness or investigative techniques to find. I can see embezzlement, fraud, larceny or misuse of equipment. All things which you "normally" wouldn't just stumble upon like a DUI or a fight.

Forum Member

You happen to hear how many positions are available and/or projected start date?

Forum Member

You kidding? The site left quite a few questions open. Since there are only 1 or 2 of them I think they only need one more but it's just a guess. Everything on-line you see is all I really know except for the times I've called the HR dept. But they have no clue either.

Forum Member

Figured it was worth asking, hahaha. I liked how they gave a damn code for the starting pay and absolutely no reference to look at to decipher it. Finally emailed HR to see if they could tell me. I too expect 1 position in each location. Did you apply for Anchorage and Fairbanks too or just Fairbanks?

Forum Member

Oh I guess I should have passed that on to you. I called HR cause I to had no clue. She looked it up and yeah it's a whopping $55K a year. Starting much less. Sound good yet?

Forum Member

By the way just Fairbanks. Maybe that was a mistake. For a job like that I'll move anywhere in Alaska.

Forum Member

Ok, now I'm getting confused. The official word from HR is that the applicants that met the minimum qual's have been forwarded to the hiring manager. For Fairbanks. I guess she says Anchorage has scheduled interviews and MS Word testing? She says there will be an actual test to see if you can operate MS Word. Hmm.... Thats pretty easy.....for me at least. I'm getting so anxious it's driving me nuts. I just want to call them myself but I know that probably wouldn't do good things.
    Mean while I have learned all I can possibly learn on-line about being a "bull" or a "cinder dick", interesting terminology. Now everytime I see a SD70MAC with those big ALASKA letters I go crazy. I drive by the security office over the bridge and I see the new Tahoe's sitting out there in the distance with "SPECIAL AGENT" on the side and I think maybe I'll drive one of them.
    It's ok, really, I'm allowed to dream.

Forum Member

Where did you guys go? Did they hire you? hello?

Forum Member

Still waiting for a phone call.

Forum Member

Oh,............................I'm getting really anxious. Sometimes I wonder if it would be really bad if I called and asked whats going on and all, but then I guess that could be really bad to. What do you think?

Forum Member

Wouldn't hurt. Just don't tell them exactly who you are and there is nothing to worry about.

Forum Member
    my step-dad retired as a police Lt for the B&0/chessie system, now csx
    out of the chicago div, he and his officers along with other r.r. police
    always had their hands full with inner city theft's and trespasser's.

actually all jobs from file clerk to police just about pay the same money.

also they may have certain rules with hiring,

they cannot hire new people for the position until they offer
    that position to people who are on furlough or laid off.

more than likely they won't take it and lose senority from their craft.
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Forum Member

Well I don't know if you have heard from them or not but one of the special agents came in here yesterday to deliver a package so I asked him some questions. Looks as if there were 46 applicants. Over half were thrown out because they didn't send a driving record in. They narrowed it down to 4 and he says if you haven't heard anything yet then you are not one of the four. So.........oh well.

Forum Member

Well that sucks. Obviously I haven't heard anything either. I'd like to know if I got DQ'ed because of the driving record thing. Not living in Ak, I had to request my Ak driving record via fax, which was sent to me via mail a week later. With the short period of time there was to apply for these jobs, even if I had applied to the first day I'm not sure if I would have been able to get my driving record submitted by the close out date. Almost sounds like a VERY political position. The way they have weeded out 46 people down to 4 w/o talking to any of them indicates it might be more about who you know, not what you know to get one of the jobs.

Forum Member

Did you get your record in by the 20th? If so you should have been good. I think on monday I'll either stick my head in there or call and act like I don't really know whats going on. What could it hurt now anyways? Also while he was here his "boss" called and he said he had to go. Sounded political to me. He did say though that the people that they did select were people that "not necessarily had alot of experience". If thats true then why didn't I even recieve a call? I think they are looking for the right things but they are scared to contact more people. Either that or they are really in a hurry. I can't see how that would do anything but cause trouble in the long run though.

Forum Member

I just checked my fax machine and didn't fax my AK DL info until the 23rd, which is the day I got it in the mail. I faxed in my FL DL info the day I applied, so it wasn't like I was just slacking off, **** takes time to get and how many people have a copy of their driving record sitting around, haha.

Forum Member

I know how you feel.

BY THE WAY IT NOW GOES TO PAGE 2.
    Last edited by DODCOP; 03-03-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Forum Member

Guess I'll just make the most of living in paradise, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last