TN Juvenile Offenders

Does it seem sometimes that you are always dealing with and arresting the same juvenile offenders?

In TN, a recent study ordered by a judge found: " At least 67 juvenile offenders who had been ordered into the custody of the state Department of Children's Services escaped and were arrested on new charges in Nashville within the past three months."

It is so bad that the judge "last week charged DCS (Department of Children's Services) Deputy Commissioner Steve Hornsby and four other top agency officials with contempt of court after a teenager who is a suspect in an armed robbery escaped and later failed to show up for a Jan. 6 court hearing. "

Wow--it sure will help when some courts and government officials realize that certain offenders under the age of 18 are not just misunderstood, but can be real law breakers as well...

The link to the story is here: 90 days feature 67 escapes

--Scott
    Last edited by slamdunk; 01-13-2006 at 07:42 AM. Reason: grammar

Local DCS in TN has been under the gun for many months because of their enforcement/application practices. I can see why. TN State Government is a joke and it is starting to become obvious with the many issues that are arising with TN state agencies (DCS/DHS/THP/Legislation/etc).

Once you get past the cops the whole mess is one big joke.

I
    Kelly

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Forum Member
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I think juvenile offenders who are younger than 18 should be sent to some juvenile boot camps to set them straight. Juvenile boot camps are more effective alternative to prison, because they teach juvenile offenders discipline, responsibility and various skills that will be useful for them in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Farm View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I think juvenile offenders who are younger than 18 should be sent to some juvenile boot camps to set them straight. Juvenile boot camps are more effective alternative to prison, because they teach juvenile offenders discipline, responsibility and various skills that will be useful for them in future.
    Only if the juvenile wishes to make changes in his/her lifestyle.

If they are not willing to do that............a boot camp just gives them more exposure to other criminals.

Iowa tried boot camps for a short time and found the concept to be lacking..........
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

Gopher Fan!
    A lot of them just need new parents.