Forum Member

Is it illegal to drive with your left foot?

I recently had foot surgery on my right foot and cannot use it for 8 weeks. That means no driving. My doctor said that some of her patients have gotten around that by driving with their left foot. A friend of mine says that's illegal. Is that true? I live in the Cincinnati tri-state area.

PS - I realize that driving left footed isn't as safe as driving with the right foot, but am I breaking the law if I do so?

Forum Member
    I seriously doubt that it is illegal; common sense dictates that if anything impairs your ability to 'safely' operate a vehicle, you shouldn't do it.
    I'm quite sure that you are not the first person to ever be in that situation, but even if it is not technically against the law, if you cause an accident and they can link it to your injury, the vultures will come.
    There are many injured people & persons with disabilities who drive everywhere they go, and never have a problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa1
    I recently had foot surgery on my right foot and cannot use it for 8 weeks. That means no driving. My doctor said that some of her patients have gotten around that by driving with their left foot. A friend of mine says that's illegal. Is that true? I live in the Cincinnati tri-state area.

PS - I realize that driving left footed isn't as safe as driving with the right foot, but am I breaking the law if I do so?

tell that too all the postal workers

No Longer Active

No it's not ..... Just not a safe practice ... and your STUPID doctor knows better then to tell you that....... If you would crash etc the liablity is on you. He should have told you no driving during healing process.

Hook 'em Horns
    I agree with Bodie....it is quite moronic for a doctor to suggest one drive using with the unaffected left foot.

After every one of my knee surgeries on my right leg, my doctor told me NOT to drive under any circumstances...not only because it was not safe, but also a serious risk to further injury on my affected knee. Heck , he even told me not to drive when my brace was off and stitches were out and I was walking due to the fact that my response time and ROM was limited on my leg.

Dont risk it..for your safety as well as others.

Forum Member

How in the hell is a cop going to know you're driving with your left foot unless you have an accident? Then you would have a problem, if the accident were your fault, but no more so than if you were driving with your right foot.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Pain Distribution Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by keith758
    How in the hell is a cop going to know you're driving with your left foot unless you have an accident? Then you would have a problem, if the accident were your fault, but no more so than if you were driving with your right foot.
    How can we tell? Easy. When your brake lights remain on for 2 miles because your riding the brake pedal with your left foot.
    If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.