Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Forum Member

Difference between Sheriff's Department and Police Department!

I understand the whole County/City thing, but how do they differ when it comes to shootings and all that. In the area where I live, there has been quite a few shootings and the Sheriff's Department never get's mentioned, it is always the Police is it because it's within the city and not outside like in a rural area?

forum member
    Jurisdiction. How it works out here is....If the city is incorporated then the police have jurisdiction. If the "city" is unincorporated then the Sheriff of the County has jurisdiction.

Charges-Like-Rhino
    Typically Sheriffs operate on behalf of the court. They are responsible for holding inmates before having trial if necessary, serving court orders such as warrants and civil papers, as well as court security.

Police act on behalf of a city or county mayor or council.

How active a roll either part plays when they have the same jurisdiction is just a matter of which way the political winds are blowing, really.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Former Biker Chick
    Depends on the area-in Houston, both the police and sheriff's office are involved in shootings, seems the police a bit more.
    In Louisville, KY where I grew up, the SO was rarely involved in any while the PD had been in numerous incidents. But the difference in population and LE organization numbers are very different between the 2 cities.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lt93lover
    Depends on the area-in Houston, both the police and sheriff's office are involved in shootings, seems the police a bit more.
    In Louisville, KY where I grew up, the SO was rarely involved in any while the PD had been in numerous incidents. But the difference in population and LE organization numbers are very different between the 2 cities.

Same here.I work for a Sheriffs office and do all the same things the local PD guys do.In my career I have done everything from Murders to getting Cows off the roadway as a Sheriffs deputy.Just depends on the area.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Forum Member
    I also work for a sheriff's office. We mainly work in unincorporated areas of the county or in towns that have contracted with us for police service. We also frequently back up police departments on calls and major cases.
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

VIP Member - Diamond
    Well, as we like to say - the Sheriff is the supreme law enforcement officer in the county.

We provide all levels of law enforcement to unincorporated areas of the county, as well as for 9 cities that contract with us. We have SED (aka SWAT) air support, bomb/arson, gang detail, you name it - as well as staffing 7 jails, security for the courts and court services (formerly marshall's)

We also maintain the regional radio system, and are the psp for 911 in the county.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Forum Member
    I'm going to work for the E. Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office, inside our parish the Baton Rouge Police take calls inside the city limits. Basically we have jurisdiction over the entire parish of east baton rouge, the BRPD only has jurisdiction over the city of baton rouge. We can, and do, take calls in the city limits if they need help or we are requested, but they cannot take calls outside the city.

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt48
    I'm going to work for the E. Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office, inside our parish the Baton Rouge Police take calls inside the city limits. Basically we have jurisdiction over the entire parish of east baton rouge, the BRPD only has jurisdiction over the city of baton rouge. We can, and do, take calls in the city limits if they need help or we are requested, but they cannot take calls outside the city.
    Acutally BRPD can assist EBRSO if they need it, so yes they can respond out of the city linits if need be.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member
    irish i was under the impression they werent really supposed to go outside the city, i guess they meant they can assist us if we need it, they just dont do patrol and take normal calls outside the city. we have only discussed the issue for a few minutes in a class a month or so ago, I imagine we'll go into details about it in the future.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv
    Acutally BRPD can assist EBRSO if they need it, so yes they can respond out of the city linits if need be.
    I assume it is like most places,if requested to go outside of their jurisdiction they are operating under the power of the Agency that is requesting and has the jurisdiction.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Sayeth me!
    in oklahoma in my small county it works like this. if it lies within the county line, its my jurisdiction. it doesnt matter if the town has a contract or not i can still work there or respond to a call there if i want to. of course the towns that have police i dont really patrol just because they have there dept. taking care of it and i go out into the rural areas. any time a i need help, the closest city will gladly send someone to assist. if i am getting shot at i can probably get help from people i didnt know were cops. other than that city officers just take care of their city. i have understood that up in the northern u.s. the sheriff's offices just run the jails and get the inmates back and forth to court and provide a baliff for court. i think a lot of them also serve the civil papers and subpeonas. in the south i think it sums it up to think of the sheriff's office as the county police. i dont answer to a council, the commisioners cant tell me anything to do. the sheriff and under sheriff are my only boss's. we are a small county with few deputy's so we dont have captains and LT's and the rest of the structured command.

Forum Member

Not quite, the Sherriff is elected and has absolute jurisdinction within the county.
    He can take PD`s anytime.
    Marshal`s are elected and have jurisdicdiction over any city in the Township.
    Chiefs are appointed by politicions who are up to no good.
    I knew a city PD cop that liked to stretch his jurisdiction. He was fired.
    He was a very good cop. just a bit over eager. The Sheriff did not appreaciate it.
    Lying about where the start of the pursuit took place did not help him.

Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2
    Jurisdiction. How it works out here is....If the city is incorporated then the police have jurisdiction. If the "city" is unincorporated then the Sheriff of the County has jurisdiction.
    Last edited by marshaldan; 12-05-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Forum Member
    You own the county(Deputy)... Or the county owns you(Officer)....

In my eyes Sheriffs office is the place to be if you like doing things by yourself and out of the ordinary!
    ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

AnGardaSiochana

Jurisdiction

Can someone go one step further and explain all the various agencies and how the jurisdiction overlaps, etc.

You have PD, Sherriffs, highway patrol, customs, immigration, etc.

Here we have 1 police force and thats it. Its all covered by us. Hows it work? Who takes control of areas? If they both rerspond who is in charge? Does 'active pursuit' play a part in jurisdiction?

Forum Member

Staters have jurisdiction in the state. They generaly patrol state roads. Deputies generaly patrol county roads.
    PD`s patrol city streets.
    Howeve, both state and county officers have the last say over PD`s.
    It usually works out.

AnGardaSiochana

Example please

Quote Originally Posted by marshaldan
    Staters have jurisdiction in the state. They generaly patrol state roads. Deputies generaly patrol county roads.
    PD`s patrol city streets.
    Howeve, both state and county officers have the last say over PD`s.
    It usually works out.
    Example if you dont mind, take the NYPD or LAPD, who crosses over with them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnGardaSiochana

LAPD is resposible for all the Area inside the city of LA.The LA county SHeriffs office is resposible for the areas outside of the city limits of the various city in LA county.But they LA County Sheriffs still have jurisdiction in the various cities also.The California Highway Patrol has Jurisdiction over all of California and mostly work Speeders,and Accidents outside the various Cities and towns.

For example,a California highway patrolman can stop a vehicle for running a red light in downtown LA.So can a LAPD officer on duty,so can a LA county Deputy Sheriff on duty.They all have jurisdiction.If for some reason a LAPD unit is traveling outside the city limits of LA and see an infraction,they would have to notify the Appropriate Agnecy for that area,be it LA County Sheriffs or San Diego PD or wherever they are at.

Hope that explains a little.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Banned

Well LAPD you have about 50 municiapal smaller departments in the greater LA city area. Then you have LAPD. LA county Sheriffs office and Califonia HIghway patrol.

AnGardaSiochana
    So does the LAPD take care of the city itself and the sheriffs the outskirts and CHP are just highway? Can they speak with eachother by radio or seperate sustems?

Forum Member

Around here the Passaic County Sheriff's Department, among other assignments, helps supplement the local patrols. They also provide specialized services such as bomb squad, K9, and tactical teams that small local department do not have.

The Sheriff's department also provides county court security and maintains the county jail.

There are two classifications of officers within the Sheriff's department:
    1) Sheriff's Officer (Officers with patrol duties)
    2) Corrections Officer (Officers in the jail and court house)

Each has specific type of job.

Sammy
    If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
    www.samanthafund.com

Forum Member

There was a war in the 60`s between the CHP and the LAPD.
    With 7,900 men LAPD thought they had the power. They lost.
    They lost on the streets.
    It is a long story.

Forum Member

PD's respond to more calls that relate to businesses. (bars, , shops etc.)

SO's respond to more residence related calls.

PD's usually have more job security than SO's.

Forum Member

So does the LAPD take care of the city itself and the sheriffs the outskirts and CHP are just highway? Can they speak with eachother by radio or seperate sustems?

Pretty much.they all have their own freqs.I guess they could talk on a freq if they were told to go to it.
    FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Back at Zero!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Dogg
    If for some reason a LAPD unit is traveling outside the city limits of LA and see an infraction,they would have to notify the Appropriate Agnecy for that area,be it LA County Sheriffs or San Diego PD or wherever they are at.

Hope that explains a little.
    That is not exactly correct. If an LAPD unit is traveling outside of the City of Los Angeles and observes a vehicle code violation or any crime in progress for the matter, they CAN act on it. I say can because they may not and simply relay it to the appropriate agency depending on the severity of it. But by all means, they can act on it without notifying anyone for authority. The same goes for most California agencies. The exception would be some specialized agencies who have restrictions or limited resources.

This happens quite frequently within Los Angeles County as we have a hundreds of agencies and most all agencies overlap with regards to their "jurisdiction."

Using LAPD as the working example, it is beyond routine for you to see an LAPD unit traveling and stopped in such neighboring cities as:
    - Culver City (CCPD)
    - Inglewood (IPD)
    - Santa Monica (SMPD)
    - West Hollywood (LASD West Hollywood Station)

The City of Los Angeles is very oddly formed and is not just bordered by 3 to 4 cities as most are, so it is quite common.

As far as the Sheriff's Department is concerned, the large Sheriff's Departments in Southern California (Los Angeles County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernadino County, Ventura County, and San Diego County) all operate patrol divisions in addition to their court and custody (jail) divisions. In addition to handling patrols in unincorporated areas (i.e. Marina Del Rey for the LASD), they also provide contract law enforcement services for cities (i.e. West Hollywood for LASD).

As an interesting tidbit LASD is the largest Sheriff's Department in the world and operates the largest jail system in the world.
    Stay Safe,
    - J.R.
    ----------------
    HONOR FIRST
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted men long enough and liked it, never really care for hunting anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemmingway

Page 1 of 3 123 Last