Forum Member

Driving A New Vehicle WITHOUT License Plates

NOTE:
    I posted this in another forum but was unable to get a clear answer. I need an answer from a LEO from Maryland or someone that knows the MD law. Thank you all.

Hello everyone,

I am a mechanic at a new car dealer. Pretty frequently we (as mechanics) have to inspect new vehicles before they are sold. One of the things we do in the inspection is test drive the vehicle and fill the tank with gas. So here's the question: Does the new car have to have a "Dealer Tag" (or any other license plate) on it to be legal to drive on public roads??? Some guys at work told me that there is "RULE" that says we dont need a tag to drive a brand new car if we are in a certain mile radius of the dealership. And someone else told me this years ago. I have always thought it was B.S. I mean, it doesnt make sense to me. I'm pretty sure any vehicle operated on a public road must have a registration. Anybody heard of this "special rule"? I'm located in Maryland if it makes any difference. Thanks.

Hustler
    You need to have a Dealer Tag.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

SWH
    Forum Member
    IT must have at least dealer plates. Those are easy to come by working at a dealership, so I don't see why it would be an issue for your supervisor to give you one...

Forum Member
    How does the cop know you didn't steal the car?
    Kelly

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SWH
    IT must have at least dealer plates. Those are easy to come by working at a dealership, so I don't see why it would be an issue for your supervisor to give you one...
    Dont take this the wrong way, but you have no idea what goes on at this dealership. ITS INSANITY But yes you are right, in a perfect world; it should be easy to get a D-tag at a dealership.

How does the cop know you didn't steal the car?
    Good point. They probably would think that as a possibility if the mechanic DID NOT have the REPAIR ORDER on hand. The repair order is proof that the vehicle is in for repair or inspection and contains a bunch of other relevant info.

Anybody out there from maryland. I was reading section 13-401 of the transportation laws of MD and still cannot figure out the answer. It seems there are contradicting subsections. I cant figure it out If anyone wants to read it and tell me they think, it would be greatly appreciated. Go to this link:

http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/web_...exe?gtr&13-401

Check out this first page. Seems pretty clear right? Now click the NEXT icon and read section 13-402.C.1.i Thats the part that is confusing. If anyone can it explain it, thank you very very much!

Forum Member

driving new vehicle w/o license plates

In Alabama that issue is easily resolved with a "Dealer's" plate. These tags are issued to a dealership, and if run come back to the dealer, and not the specific vehicle. Each dealership, depending on size is allowed to purchase dealer tags on an annual basis. December 1st to November 30th.

Stop resisting...

I worked as a tech at a dealership in MD before moving west and getting into LE. I can without a doubt, unequivocally state that you must have a tag while driving on a public road. That "within so many miles of the dealership" line is BS. Now a cop who pulls you over and sees you in your mechanics uniform and after checking your story and maybe even calling the dealership, may let you slip if the dealership is right around the corner, but that's his discretion, not the law.

Littering and...
    In MA only the owner, co-owner or spouse of either, or a full-time sales person may drive with dealer plates without restriction. Also the warranty and sales stickers must be displayed while using a dealer plate.

Here they are highly misused, lent out, stolen and generally abused by the dealership. You cannot send mechanics, detailers, parts drivers or anyone else out on the road with dealer plates.

Once the vehicle is in agreement for purchase, the dealership may not use their plates on that vehicle. Getting inspection stickers and registrations with dealer plates for the buyer may be a courtesy, yet illegal.

It is a good stop if those above conditions aren't met. Dealerships pay big bucks for those plates and should regard them as gold.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acuratech311
    NOTE:
    I posted this in another forum but was unable to get a clear answer. I need an answer from a LEO from Maryland or someone that knows the MD law. Thank you all.

Hello everyone,

I am a mechanic at a new car dealer. Pretty frequently we (as mechanics) have to inspect new vehicles before they are sold. One of the things we do in the inspection is test drive the vehicle and fill the tank with gas. So here's the question: Does the new car have to have a "Dealer Tag" (or any other license plate) on it to be legal to drive on public roads??? Some guys at work told me that there is "RULE" that says we dont need a tag to drive a brand new car if we are in a certain mile radius of the dealership. And someone else told me this years ago. I have always thought it was B.S. I mean, it doesnt make sense to me. I'm pretty sure any vehicle operated on a public road must have a registration. Anybody heard of this "special rule"? I'm located in Maryland if it makes any difference. Thanks.

Answered this in your original post... but....

You need a registration plate to operate a vehicle on any Maryland road. If you work for a dealership, grab one of their dealer tags or Transporter tag and put it on the vehicle before you take it out for a drive. I know you say its difficult... but try explaining to them why you had your vehicle you were testing towed from under you.

You can use either of those tags to test the vehicle, and if you are stopped, you can explain away the reason in most cases. However, if you are stopped with NO tags on the vehicle at all, no registration card, and when the VIN is run, it doesn't come back to anything, expect the vehicle to be towed and you to be issue a handful of citations.

Cheers...
    Stay safe.... or stay home.