Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 370
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Veterans Affairs Police

  1. #276
    Forum Member Atlanta BDO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    46
    If you get an offer in TN, go with it. They are very nice, professional, and TN has no state income tax.

  2. #277
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    74
    Does anyone know the deal with the currently announced positions in Georgia? They are announced as a GS-5 without promotion potential to GS-6. Mistake maybe, or is this something they do at smaller locations?

  3. #278
    Hustler irishlad2nv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Time Zone
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Too far from home View Post
    Does anyone know the deal with the currently announced positions in Georgia? They are announced as a GS-5 without promotion potential to GS-6. Mistake maybe, or is this something they do at smaller locations?
    Don't see any current ones open for Police in GA, however each location can dictate GS levels. Some start and stay at a GS5, or may even start off at a GS 6. Some are GS/6/7.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

  4. #279
    One Night In Bangkok orlandofed5-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    5,404
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Don't see any current ones open for Police in GA, however each location can dictate GS levels. Some start and stay at a GS5, or may even start off at a GS 6. Some are GS/6/7.
    They are all GS-05's at CBOC's.. No upward mobility.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

  5. #280
    Hustler irishlad2nv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Time Zone
    Posts
    6,282
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    They are all GS-05's at CBOC's.. No upward mobility.
    Unless it has changed, the ones under New Orleans were always 6/7's.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

  6. #281
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Don't see any current ones open for Police in GA, however each location can dictate GS levels. Some start and stay at a GS5, or may even start off at a GS 6. Some are GS/6/7.
    There's 7 or 8 of them on there right now.

  7. #282
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    74
    I looked at the announcements and they are all the the clinics, so I guess that is it. Thanks for the information.

  8. #283
    One Night In Bangkok orlandofed5-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    5,404
    It could be they are just cheap or do not have an approved pd (position description) for the CBOC positions.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

  9. #284
    Forum Member GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Too far from home View Post
    Does anyone know the deal with the currently announced positions in Georgia? They are announced as a GS-5 without promotion potential to GS-6. Mistake maybe, or is this something they do at smaller locations?
    That would be because HR and OPM. The positions you're seeing are for CBOC, and HR is under the understanding that police at the CBOC don't have to deal with the same problems or duties as those at the main VA that controls the CBOC. We have the same thing here in Danville. Everyone at the Danville VA are under special locality pay. The officers at the CBOC are not covered under the special locality pay and only rate GS-5.

    CBOCs are only open 5 days a week and closed on Holidays. It's not a bad job if you don't want rotating shifts and like being home every weekend and holiday. The Peoria CBOC officers get 2 hours overtime every day cause we only have 2 officers there and they are there 1 hour before normal hours to open up, and 1 hour after to close.
    Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 04-23-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

  10. #285
    LPD523
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    24
    SERIES & GRADE: GS-0083-05/06
    POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Permanent

    DUTY LOCATIONS: 2 vacancy(s) - Huntington, WV United States

    Thinking about applying for this. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this location. After reading several of the other threads and post on here it seems there are mixed emotions about the VA police. Have any of the changes that were talked about in past taken place this year? Other then a vacancy posting last year for this location I have never heard of them having vacancys in the past, which leads me to believe this VA may be a pretty good place to work at. I'm assuming VA police work 8 hours shift What are the typical shifts, like night shift is it 22-06 or 24-08?

    Also what is the retirement for the VA police I have read on here that they are not 2o year retirement like everyone else? How long is it? I worked for the Corps of Engineers as a park ranger before and I was pretty sure it was 20 year retirement which I thought all federal jobs were. The PD I currently work for is not in the states hazardous duty retirement so I've got to work 27 years before i can retire.

    I thinking pretty hard about applying to this. At the low end of the entry pay posted for this job, its showing $31,315.00 to $45,376.00 / Per Year, It would be a $4,000 raise for me with a 30 minute drive, from my base salary.

    Any feedback, input is appreciated.
    523

  11. #286
    One Night In Bangkok orlandofed5-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    5,404
    Its basic FERS retirement..

    FERS Retirement
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

  12. #287
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    9
    There are various duty schedules across the VA. At our hospital, we work steady 12 hour tours. The two day tour squads work 0700x1900, with Squad One working Sun-Mon-Tue and every other Wed, and Squad Two working Thu-Fri-Sat and every other Wed. The two night squads work 1900x0700, with Squad Three working Sun-Mon-Tue and every other Wed, and Squad Four working Thu-Fri-Sat and every other Wed. That works out to 4 ON, 3 OFF one week, and 3 ON, 4 OFF the next week and 84 hours worked in a two week period. To keep you at 80 hours, each guy has one designated steady short day (8 hour tour) during each two week period. Because we have a huge turnover of cops, we're always short handed. We usually end up working the full 12 hours on our short days, and get four hours of OT.

  13. #288
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13
    Does anyone else have this problem? I work for the VA in Waco. We have two main hospitals and about 6 cbocs. The CBOCs are manned by contract security and the two hospitals by us, the VA Police. We are issued weapons that must be turned in daily. We have no authority off duty like Texas Peace Officers, and we DO NOT make arrests. We write tickets, and warnings. We train more than any department out here, even the state troopers only go to the range once a year. We have to go every month and shoot 100 rounds, every month mind you. However if we catch the bad guy doing something, we have to call the Waco PD to book him Dano. I am told that other VA police transport and everything, where is this?

  14. #289
    Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka! QuietPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by nepreneaux View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem? I work for the VA in Waco. We have two main hospitals and about 6 cbocs. The CBOCs are manned by contract security and the two hospitals by us, the VA Police. We are issued weapons that must be turned in daily. We have no authority off duty like Texas Peace Officers, and we DO NOT make arrests. We write tickets, and warnings. We train more than any department out here, even the state troopers only go to the range once a year. We have to go every month and shoot 100 rounds, every month mind you. However if we catch the bad guy doing something, we have to call the Waco PD to book him Dano. I am told that other VA police transport and everything, where is this?
    Here in Asheville. We make arrests, do all the paperwork, transports, court appearances, etc.......as well as writing tickets. Sorry that it's like that for you guys, bro, but not every VA does things like you do.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

  15. #290
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13
    and why is it we can hire guys in their 60s? They say we can't discriminate, so how is it the outside agencies only hire guys in their 20s and 30s?

  16. #291
    Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka! QuietPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,163
    Because face it, there IS a window for this line of work. Honestly; I have some concerns about patrol officers in their 60's coming fresh into a department. We have one guy who is almost 65; and he isn't worth a lick of spit. Too many guys don't want to accept the fact that you don't have as too much tread left on the tire when you're in your 60's; especially for POLICE work. VA or not..........
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

  17. #292
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    i asked this question in a VA thread earlier today, from what was posted its pretty much impossible to get on if your not a vet?

  18. #293
    Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka! QuietPro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom55 View Post
    i asked this question in a VA thread earlier today, from what was posted its pretty much impossible to get on if your not a vet?
    Nope, not IMPOSSIBLE but very DIFFICULT. I have only 1 officer here on the whole department that isn't a Veteran; he was a prior Fed and that helped him in. The fact is, brother, that we serve a population of vets.......and most Chiefs (who are also vets) want their officers to be able to relate to their population directly. It's a good policy; because you'd be surprised at how well swapping "war stories" help to calm a bad situation here.... Plus, the VA recently launched a huge inititive to hire vets for the majority of their support jobs; including Police. Go ahead and apply anyway; but if you're not a Vet, you are facing a very uphill battle. Not the answer you might have wanted, bro, but it's true.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

  19. #294
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12
    no i understand and it should be like that.i have the college but no LE background and not a vet so im pretty much
    Last edited by tomtom55; 06-18-2012 at 09:16 PM.

  20. #295
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13
    We hired a 63 year old who was too fat to perform a push up, disqualified and showed up three months later in the same condition. Denied again, but we got a 68 year old in school right now and he too is a medical problem but made the minimum so he is in.

  21. #296
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13
    All our people are vets, period. They don't even pretend to look at them if they are not vets. We even have some that were taken off mop buckets with no police experience, started as GS5 upward mobility and now are regular GS6 cops. This place amazes me every day.

  22. #297
    Forum Member Atlanta BDO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    46
    I changed over to the VA in May... wow this is really great. LETC was not too bad the only sucking points were GDR, 105-110 degree weather, and N. Little Rock is a really bad place to be ever... gun shots on Sunday mornings is all I am saying. Cowboys sucks, the Cigar bar was nice, and the Piano bar/basement club/quiter guiter are place was really kool. I am about sick of all the pig meat and chinese food, Razor Back (describes more than food) but better than Golden Coral everyday. The private rooms are really nice (I have had a lot worse), with a flat TV on the wall, the WiFi only works good in the day rooms. All in all the school was awesome and it went by pretty fast.

  23. #298
    Forum Member GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta BDO View Post
    I changed over to the VA in May... wow this is really great. LETC was not too bad the only sucking points were GDR, 105-110 degree weather, and N. Little Rock is a really bad place to be ever... gun shots on Sunday mornings is all I am saying. Cowboys sucks, the Cigar bar was nice, and the Piano bar/basement club/quiter guiter are place was really kool. I am about sick of all the pig meat and chinese food, Razor Back (describes more than food) but better than Golden Coral everyday. The private rooms are really nice (I have had a lot worse), with a flat TV on the wall, the WiFi only works good in the day rooms. All in all the school was awesome and it went by pretty fast.
    Welcome to the club Atlanta. Even though we may have our complaints about the job, it's still a job and the majority of us are happy to do the work. If you need help or some advice there's always the VETCOPS forum that is exclusive to VA Police only. Register for the forum and look at some of the subjects in there.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

  24. #299
    Forum Member V286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Murder Capitol, MI
    Posts
    51
    I currently work at the Saginaw VA and its extremely small probably one of the smallest VA's in the system. We have no upward mobility at all so after I do my year or two here I am looking at moving around to hopefully a Supervisory Police position else where at a GS-7 to open up GS-9 for me down the road.

    Would enjoy getting a instructor gig down at LETC does anyone know what job code those positions are posted under. I know its not 1811's or 0083's. So not sure what they announce them as on USAJOBs.

    On another note I will be heading back down to LR soon for Instructor training and GDR instructor school. Hope I can make the most of the facetime I get with the instructors down there to see about getting my foot in the door there.
    Last edited by V286; 09-17-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    "Protecting those who served"

  25. #300
    Forum Member GIOSTORMUSNRET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by V286 View Post
    I currently work at the Saginaw VA and its extremely small probably one of the smallest VA's in the system. We have no upward mobility at all so after I do my year or two here I am looking at moving around to hopefully a Supervisory Police position else where at a GS-7 to open up GS-9 for me down the road.

    Would enjoy getting a instructor gig down at LETC does anyone know what job code those positions are posted under. I know its not 1811's or 0083's. So not sure what they announce them as on USAJOBs.

    On another note I will be heading back down to LR soon for Instructor training and GDR instructor school. Hope I can make the most of the facetime I get with the instructors down there to see about getting my foot in the door there.
    Most upward postings are limited to current station employees. Very few open up to outside their campus. You may find some, but you are still restricted to the time in grade rule when applying for any postings in grades higher than you. The smallest VA maybe Manchester NH, only a total of 11 officers total with the chief and assistant chief.
    Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 09-17-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

    "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •