Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Is it legal for civilians to carry handcuffs?

Forum Member

Is it legal for civilians to carry handcuffs?

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I was just curious, can civilians carry handcuffs on them, for defensive purposes, in case they would want to make a I guess u could call it a "citizen's arrest" if attacked. I recently bought two pairs of S&W handcuffs, one hinged and one chain linked, and I carry them both in a double cuff case on my belt. I know handcuffs are different from firearms, and knives, and are used to restrain subjects. I'm even thinking about being a cop after I get out of the Navy (I'm going into the Navy). Honestly, I wouldn't want an attacker to get away after attacking me, I would fight back and cuff him until the proper authorities arrived.

Hustler
    First off, not being trained properly on using Handcuffs os your first mistake. Second, in most states including Alaska, it has to be a FELONY before you can make a citizens arrest, which most likely the person(s) will have a gun and your handcuffs will not do you any good there. Second, if you do not know how to use them properly and you do "arrest" someone. You run the risk of hurting the person and then they are going to turn around and sue the **** out of you. The best thing to do is be a good witness if you see a crime and contact the authorities. Besides, who knows the person(s) may kick your butt as you "try" to arrest them...and in my 7 yrs in LE, I have never had a call to go get someone because of some "nice" citizen. There is no "defensive" purpose of handcuffs if you are not trained on them. If you do want to play billy bad guy or mister nice citizen, go into security work or LE. Don't hurt yourself or others playing mr. Hero.
    HI629 and chiefjack like this.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

No Longer Active

No because somebody can take them away from you and A) Handcuff You.
    B ) Beat Your A## with them.

And how do you think you could defend yourself with them ?
    As POLICE with look at somebody carrying them as a sexual perve that may be using them to rape women or kids. Are you one of THOSE ???????

Forum Member

Its not illegal to own/carry handcuffs..

but why would want 2?
    HI629 likes this.
    ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Forum Member

So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? It's only a matter of making sure they're not too tight on the person you handcuffed, and be sure they're double locked. I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight. If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger. Is it illegal for people to defend themselves now? If I wanted to play "Mr. Hero", I will become a cop, but for now I want to defend myself and at least try to keep the subject from getting away. I'm not lookin to protect anyone other than myself. Like I said if I wanna do that I'll become a law enforcement officer.

No Longer Active

Go ahead and buy a pair, Because you just are not going to listen.
    No they are not illegal to own and carry .... It's just plain STUPID to do it
    XD4ME and chiefjack like this.

Forum Member
    If you want to defend yourself, take self defense courses, or learn martial arts. Carrying handcuffs for 'protection' is about the dumbest thing I have heard on this forum in a long time. That is saying a lot as there has been dumb things posted on here a few times a week.....

And as Bodie said, if we find a civilian carrying cuffs..... red flags come up.
    Either a wannabe, or a perv.
    HI629 and winn99 like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
    United States Army
    5th Special Forces Group
    Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
    Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
    Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

No Longer Active

Spyderdude20,

Think about it: If LEOfficers, who constantly train to use handcuffs & batons and sometimes still require several officers to handcuff a resisting suspect, (especially if they are on meth.) -- do you really want to try it by yourself?

Remember, "Better a live dog than a dead lion"
    HI629 likes this.

No Longer Active

Yeah we are basically told not to handcuff by ourselves use back up to remove some of the danger. I've done it and I'm pretty damn big and in good shape and it's still a struggle.
    So do you think somebody is going to alllow a nobody to handcugg them > They'll take them away and flat send you to the hospital when they are dome baeting and cutting you with them,

If I were the officer taking the assault report I would have tears in my eyes from laughing at how stupid you were.
    HI629 likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude20
    I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight.
    At what point is carrying handcuffs about self defence? You have several options, the first being; avoid situations where you might need to defend yourself!

Lets face it kid, you are trying to be a hero if you buy a set of handcuffs. You are going to walk around with them in your back pocket sizing up everyone that walks by you.

My suggestion is to grow-up, because you sound like a guy that has never been in a fight, or had to defend yourself. Because if you had, you'd be a lot more eager to avoid a confrontation than looking to be slapping the cuffs on your attacker.

If you just want to show your dominance after "defending" yourself, why not hump the guy's leg like the alpha wolf you are.
    HI629, RangerJake72 and dudemitch like this.

Hustler
    So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? It's only a matter of making sure they're not too tight on the person you handcuffed, and be sure they're double locked. I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight. If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger. Is it illegal for people to defend themselves now? If I wanted to play "Mr. Hero", I will become a cop, but for now I want to defend myself and at least try to keep the subject from getting away. I'm not lookin to protect anyone other than myself. Like I said if I wanna do that I'll become a law enforcement officer.
    Bro, its the simple matter of knowing how to properly handcuff...but even as LEO's we must be trained on how to use them and even a security guard at Wal-mart has too! Like I said I have never had anyone, anyone make a citizens arrest...now if for some reason you live in a "rough" section on ALASKA where Felony Crimes are taking place every 5 seconds, then by all means, go play wannabe cop! But to even say if someone has a gun to your head to go ahead and pull the trigger...bro even if you tried to get into LE, you would not even stand a chance to get hired, let alone last that long on the job with that statement! Let us, the Real Police make the arrest. Thats what we get paid for. Before you even think about playing hero, you need to read up on the laws to make sure you are not breaking them yourself. And even still, even as LEO we can get sued, etc by people we arrest all the time. So be careful...if not don't do it. Get a life!
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs?
    Maybe you should watch some of those prison videos that show cons training how to attack a LEO who is trying to cuff them. Handcuffing is about the most dangerous interaction with a suspect.
    Keep them at gunpoint and call 911 if thats your thing.

Hell I dont even carry cuffs off duty.

Forum Member

So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? .
    I'm just an auxiliary officer and we spent a week alone on handcuffing during our training. Yes it takes training, skill, and brains. If you get stupid with handcuffing someone, your "defense" tool CAN and WILL kill you.

Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
    If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger.
    I've been a cop for going on eight years now and I would never, ever tell someone who had a gun to my head to go ahead and pull the trigger. That is a ballsy-*** statement to make. C'mon guys, you have to agree with me on this one.....surely BODIE will agree with me on that one .
    HI629 likes this.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

10-96
    Most cops who are assaulted are attacked while trying to handcuff a suspect. We have guns, tazers, asps, OC and training.

Just something to think about.

Not to mention the ramifications of unlawfully detaining someone, otherwise known as abduction in many places.

Though I gotta give props to a Pizza Hut crew for tying up a crackhead female robber with the phone cord. They had been robbed the week prior and said they didn't want to go through it again. Ballsy, but I wouldn't suggest it. It was not easy getting her untied either.
    Last edited by webjeep; 09-18-2005 at 01:15 AM.
    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Forum Member
    With that attitude, you aren't going to last in any branch of the military. Your recruiter must have been desperate for recruits.
    HI629 and Sladecm like this.

Kickin' back in Carolina
    What are you, like 12?

Why not just put on a uniform and call yourself some kind of PO-Lice but without a firearm to back it up? Make sure that you walk around in the Ghetto with it on for a few hours, since you are so mesmerised by "defending yourself". I verily suspect you would be happy for them to get away.

And yeah, handcuffs ARE that simple, since you know all about them. That must be why we had several 3 hour blocks of instruction on speedcuffing, etc., back in 1982 and we had to do it to each other daily despite our wrists in a severe state of discomfort from wrist drags and incompetent partners. My whole Basic Class, including me were knuckle draggers whose class theme song was "DOITY DOITY DOITY DO, WE BE GWANNA HOITY YOU".

Put down the Playstation controller and read a book. Real life is scarier than your Ethernet world.
    HI629 and RangerJake72 like this.
    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

No Longer Active

Consider this if you do "subdue" an attacker and it turns out you could have walked away or were the agressor and you apply handcuffs you just restrained somone against their will and can be charged with a felony count of kidnapping.

No Longer Active

Yep, false arrest and false imprisonment convictions and you can forget about being a school crossing guard, (no offense to those who are) let alone a LEO career.

Forum Member

Is it illegal for a civilian to carry handcuffs?

In Alabama it would not be illegal. But, I"ll ask you the same question everyone else has. Why do you want to?

No Longer Active

Met an old man that told me he was doing 25 to life because he caught some young guy trying to mess iwth his wife. The old man said he had a gun pointed at the punks head and the idiot said go ahead a shoot.

Hence the 25 to life.

I'll make a bet. Bring your more then slightly ignorant civilian rear to Ohio and put your handcuffs in your back pocket. I am going to detain you and ask you a lot of questions and then place you under arrest for possession of crimnal tools. They can be used to kidnap and rape. Hence in the possession of a civlian they are a criminal tool. Will it stick ? Would you care to risk that.

Even if it doesn't you are now in the system and we can see if you fit the description of suspects in any sex crimes nationwide where handcuffs have been used.

Yeah go ahead and carry then IDIOT.

jakflak
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv
    First off, not being trained properly on using Handcuffs os your first mistake. Second, in most states including Alaska, it has to be a FELONY before you can make a citizens arrest...
    Actually, a citizen in Alaska can make an arrest for a felony committed out of his/her presence or a misdemeanor committed in his/her presence. There's very little difference in arrest powers for a citizen or a cop.

No Longer Active

Pretty much anywhere ACTUALLY a citizen can make an "ARREST" for a felony in progress but do you really want them doing that and carrying handcuffs and deciding what is a felony and what is not ????

jakflak
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodie
    Pretty much anywhere ACTUALLY a citizen can make an "ARREST" for a felony in progress but do you really want them doing that and carrying handcuffs and deciding what is a felony and what is not ????
    Of course not. How did you read into what I said and come up with that?

He who speaks Truth
    He should carry a pair, that way the cop who arrests him will not have to use his own.

This guy must be one of Gall's Top Ten customers.

BTW this is one of the goofiest posts I have seen in my 5 years on O.com... What's next cruising the neighborhood in his self made marked CV w/blue lights?
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last