Explorer/CSO

How do you wear your lapel mic?

Sworn, Reserves, Explorers, whatever. Do you go under the arm onto the epaulet? Clip to the front of the shirt? Across the back somehow?
    Me (explorer), I go across the back, under the epaulet, and clip it to the shirt, just under the second button (short sleeve).

STORM THE CASTLE!
    I do not like around the back as the wire could be used to choke you out easier...no good and a cop was killed that way from what I understand.
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Emotionally Fragile
    I wear mine over the shoulder and clipped to the front placket of my uniform shirt.
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

PTI
    No Disgusting Fatbodies
    I wear mine across my back and under the epaulet on my right shoulder, then it just rests on my shoulder.
    Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Proud Husband & Father
    Quote Originally Posted by squad51
    I do not like around the back as the wire could be used to choke you out easier...no good and a cop was killed that way from what I understand.
    I don't like them, either, too dangerous. Personal choice, really.
    Officer, I borrowed these pants!

Forum Member

Across the back, over the right shoulder, and clipped to the front of the shirt. Setup this way I don't have to turn my head to speak into it.

Getting paid to play!
    Don't wear one. I have a earpiece that goes from the inside of my shirt to my left ear. The mic goes from inside the shirt, and is clipped on the inside as well.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherLaw
    Across the back, over the right shoulder, and clipped to the front of the shirt. Setup this way I don't have to turn my head to speak into it.
    Same here.
    No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Visiting Commando Leader

... I like sflcop's setup alot better than what we had. I would wear mine on my off shoulder, the cord wrapped under the duty belt so it stayed put, and it'd go up my chest to my shoulder. No behind the back, no looped under the shoulder, etc. The belt would keep it taunt and close to my chest.

I've seen Saint Petersburg Police have the ear peices, which are run under the shirt, and plugged into an adaptor on their Motorola lapel mics at the radio itself. So, they had the ear peice, but they still had the choky grabby cord wrapped around their back.

No Longer Active

I tried it on the tip of the barrel of my 870 so I could record every word clearly but went through too many mic's when I pulled the trigger etc.

The Bubble warrior

Mine:

Mine is clipped on my left pocket, goes straight up from my left side. I've thought lately about just not using it but for now its convienant. I saw another trainee wearing his and hand it going over his back and attached to the flap on his shoulder of the uniform. That scared me for choking, that's why I like mine the way it is.
    - He took an aggressive stance with clenched fists. I then issued a short burst of my chemical agent.

Dude, WTF?!?
    I wear mine clipped to my left epulate with the radio on my left side. The cord is short enough that a scum would have to pull the entire radio out of the holder to choke me with it. Then I'd be more concerned with the person beating me over the head with it. IMHO, it is far safer to wear the shoulder mic since it is easier to operate the radio in a pinch.
    God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Visiting Commando Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Da Po-po
    I wear mine clipped to my left epulate with the radio on my left side. The cord is short enough that a scum would have to pull the entire radio out of the holder to choke me with it. Then I'd be more concerned with the person beating me over the head with it. IMHO, it is far safer to wear the shoulder mic since it is easier to operate the radio in a pinch.
    And if they have ahold of the cord, you can be pursuading them to let go by the time they get it out of the radio holder.

toby101
    A lot of you been talking safety with wearing the mic, not wearing the mic. But I think overall wearing the mic would be more of a positive.

Here is my thinking, if you have a suspect that decides to fight when your talking on the radio, and you have no mic. you either throw the radio on the ground or put it back on your belt. Now take the same fight and now the officer has a mic. you still have something in your hand but you are more likely to respond quicker if you have nothing in your reaction hand.

No Longer Active

never wore one and never had a problem cause of it,,, however, several of the others did, and the main prob. i saw was that often the connection would work loose and their transmission would cut out, if it even got out at all, plus the stories i heard about officers getting choked with them or getting smacked with them once they came loose,
    i was in several scuffles and foot chases,,you can talk loud enough to still get out even with your hand held still in your carrier.

Forum Member

Stretch it up over the back, across the chest, do it again, lift and seperate! Uh waita....Mic Extension? never mind wrong thread.
    My name is Mr. Officer, My special friends can call me Mr.Officer,Sir.

Forum Member

Straight from radio to my off shoulder. I have never had a problem with it coming off or hearing/talking by using my off hand or having to take eyes off the person i'm talking to

Joe Friday's nickname
    Inside the shirt up to the top of the shirt and clipped.
    "People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant".

Verified LEO
    We can
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Hawkeye Pride
    Quote Originally Posted by sflcop
    Don't wear one. I have a earpiece that goes from the inside of my shirt to my left ear. The mic goes from inside the shirt, and is clipped on the inside as well.
    Where did you get that and how much was it? We've got Motorola MTS 2000, do you know if it will fit?
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toby101
    Here is my thinking, if you have a suspect that decides to fight when your talking on the radio, and you have no mic. you either throw the radio on the ground or put it back on your belt.
    We don't have mics at my current post and I didn't use them in my last. If he wants to fight then he's going to be eating my radio. I always grab my radio with my non-dominate hand so that I'm not wasting time reaching for the "important stuff."

Sh*t Magnet

I wear mine across my back and through my epilet then clipped on my shirt.
    Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Brav989
    Quote Originally Posted by Caspertoo
    I wear mine across my back and through my epilet then clipped on my shirt.
    So..Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, Hood River or Columbia county SO?

(Or maybe Clark?)