Ex- Explorer

Talking Good questions to ask an officer during a ride along

hey guys I am a police explorer in Alpharetta, GA and I wanted to know what would be some good questions to ask the officer that I am riding with that night? I dont want to ask stupid questions like how many times have your used or drawn your gun...I want to know somethings that would help me in the future in law enforcement. I would be most greatful...

Forum Member
    Can I play with the lights?
    What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Forum Member
    What do you want to know about LE?

Ask them whatever comes to mind.

Forum Member

How long have you been w/ the dept? What's the greatest thing you like about your job? Any regrets about the job? blah,blah,blah..

don't act silly or immature w/ questions like: Ever shot anybody? Do you like car chases? etc..

Good Luck
    ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Forum Member
    you answered your own question. Ask him/her what are some things that could help you get into law enforcement.

No Longer Active

Things Not To Ever Ask

1. Can I hold your gun ?
    2. Can I turn on the Siren & Lights ?
    3. Can we drive past my house with sirens and lights on REAL SLOW so Mom
    can take my picture ?
    4. When can we stop for Doughnuts ?
    5. Can we pull over some of my friends ?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmartin
    hey guys I am a police explorer in Alpharetta, GA and I wanted to know what would be some good questions to ask the officer that I am riding with that night? I dont want to ask stupid questions like how many times have your used or drawn your gun...I want to know somethings that would help me in the future in law enforcement. I would be most greatful...

I was an explorer for several years before becoming a cop, and one piece of advice I could give you from personal experience is ride with as many different officers from you department as you can....You may have a favorite (we all did), but you can gain vast experience learning from different officers rather than just one.....including things that you would do and not do yourself...I can still remember things from 15 years ago that help me today....good luck in your future career.....
    What would Dirty Harry do in a situation like this???

More cowbell!
    If this is a department that you are considering to apply with ask internal questions like:
    Current contract (if one)
    Consistancy of raises benifits
    Moral
    How adminitsration treats it's officers
    Equipment (ask them if they have the tools for the job)
    How other Officers treat one another.

These are just a few. Of course you should be asking questions about the actual job but you don't want to be poor and without the right equipment.

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Forum Member

The #1 question should be......

Do you know if the Fire Department is hiring?

Forum Member

Ask how much you have to contribute every pay check to union dues if applicable, insurance, etc. If the raises are based on merit or step increases? How much vacation time and holidays you get every year. How many sick days. Do you have to buy your own stuff or do they supply everything. Ask anything that will help you decide if you want to work there. What can THEY offer YOU that will make you want to stay there? Don't forget to ask where the best restaurants are, and what businesses you get treated the best in.
    Last edited by ACCREDMGR; 09-09-2005 at 12:11 AM.

Ex- Explorer

Talking

I dont think that I am going to be with that department because they stop paying you once you reach 46g's, but I can go work for sandy springs that starts off at 49g's...I even had the option to go move to LA and work there but I want to gain some training in my feild before I even start to think about going there...After a couple of years in police work..what you guys think about DEA...?

Forum Member

First thing to ask when you get in the car, is what are the officers rules for ride alongs. (ie stay in the car unless the officer tells you, that you can get out.)
    Last edited by SeatacSTEP; 09-12-2005 at 03:52 AM.

Hawkeye Pride
    So when do we get our free meal from IHOP?
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    Ronald Reagan

Forum Member

Ride with alot of cops. Ask each one"If you had to do it all over again,would you? & Would you do it with this Dept.?". The follow-up questions will fall into place, but that'll get the ball rolling