Forum Member

Bad Grades In College

Hey guys I just wanted to know I recieved my GED Diploma and I am currently in college, some classes I pass with good grades some I fail. I am currently in the process with the Miami Dade PD. My Background Investigation starts in Sept. Will my bad grades hurt my chances?

We Patrol Night and Day
    Quote Originally Posted by et2g
    Hey guys I just wanted to know I recieved my GED Diploma and I am currently in college, some classes I pass with good grades some I fail. I am currently in the process with the Miami Dade PD. My Background Investigation starts in Sept. Will my bad grades hurt my chances?
    It may make a difference.

More information is needed.

What type of classes are you getting decent grades in and which ones are you failing?
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Forum Member

From the sounds of it I would guess that english may fall into the fail category.

Armed Babysitter

If you ever heard any of the Miami-Dade officers on the radio, he may fit right in. Sometimes it sound like an ESOL (English Second Language) class.

Forum Member

I receieved an A in both my english classes so no it does not fall into that category. Sociology and Math I failed.

Forum Member

I receieved an A in both my english classes so no it does not fall into that category. Sociology and Math I failed.

Proud to be a Wannabe
    POST REMOVED

USER WARNED

NON LEO POSTING ANSWERS IN ASK A COP NOT PERMITTED
    Last edited by Praetorian; 08-19-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if failing math is a big deal? I haven't failed math since high school, but I wonder if that matters. I know the LE degree I'm going for right now doesn't even include math in its cirriculum(sp?)...so I don't know how important math is, if anyone knows I am interested as well
    In Memoriam:
    Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
    USMC
    Killed in Action
    Fallujah, Iraq
    June 23, 2005

Hook 'em Horns
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    I am not an officer, so just consider this speculation.
    Sociology may have an effect since it is the study of people and culture (in a nutshell) and your job is to deal with people and...culture.
    Math--Probably.

Man, I am hoping you went to a community college. If you opted for the GED, and then went to a university, that was a pretty stupid move. If you couldn't handle high school, what makes you think you could have handled college?

Failing two major classes, especially math, was pretty stupid, buddy. Why did you even bother wasting your money?

Are you going to continue going to college?

Sociology is the study of people and their behavior......specific branches of Sociology deal with the culture aspect. I am not so sure how much it can help in L.E. ....lots of theory involved if you go passed Sophomore level Soc.
    I hope et2 continues going to college; if so desired. There are many reasons people get a GED ..not just not being able to handle high school.

Prae...do you go to LSU, Tech, Tulane? Where? Just curious; I have family over yonder......

Queen of the Deuce
    I think I need to get back into college and get my degree and stuff.....
    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Proud to be a Wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Styx
    Sociology is the study of people and their behavior......specific branches of Sociology deal with the culture aspect. I am not so sure how much it can help in L.E. ....lots of theory involved if you go passed Sophomore level Soc.
    I hope et2 continues going to college; if so desired. There are many reasons people get a GED ..not just not being able to handle high school.

Prae...do you go to LSU, Tech, Tulane? Where? Just curious; I have family over yonder......
    I just took high school sociology, and we just went into norms and culture, etc... I am going to take it sometime in college for my humanities requirement.

Everyone I know who took the GED did so to get out of high school, including my brother. He never did his work and took the GED as an 18 year old sophomore. He then joined the Army. I realize that there are some people that don't just take it to get out of high school, but if you are high school aged, or at least was high school aged when you took the GED, most of the time it is because they didn't want to go through high school.

I actually go to SLU--Southeastern Louisiana University. I was accepted to LSU, but I prefer the film/tv production program at SLU. Plus, I like smaller schools and a lot of my friends go there. LSU is just too big for my tastes. I was in honors in high school, so I am used to 10-15 people in a class. At LSU it is more like a couple of hundred. And the biggest class I had at SLU was Am. History to 1877 and there were about 100 of us. Smallest class was 15 people in Honors English Ancient Epic Literature. But by the end of the semester, that number went down to about 8.

You are next...
    Bad grades may have an effect on getting hired. Anything that reflects poorly on you, bad grades, bad past job performance, criminal record... are all taken into account and weighed accordingly when deciding which candidates to hired. That being said.... I dont think a couple of bad grades ruins your chances...

Hook 'em Horns

Attn Prae

Intro to Soc is pretty boring...steer away from Social Theory...Criminology is fun; not as much theory as Social Theory. Social Deviance would have been great, but I had an ancient prof. on tenure, so they could fire him even though he was pretty awful. Social Psych is pretty fun and Psych and Soc. depts. usually have a class.
    Last edited by Styx; 08-19-2005 at 06:52 PM. Reason: ATTN: PRAE

Proud to be a Wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Styx
    Intro to Soc is pretty boring...steer away from Social Theory...Criminology is fun; not as much theory as Social Theory. Social Deviance would have been great, but I had an ancient prof. on tenure, so they could fire him even though he was pretty awful. Social Psych is pretty fun and Psych and Soc. depts. usually have a class.
    I want to take Criminology, but I am not a CJ major, so I can't unless I take CJ 101. I need sociology and psychology for my psych minor though. Currently, I am a Mass Communications major with a concentration in Cinematography and TV Productions. I really can't afford to switch majors and have two more years of school, so I am going to finish that degree and see where the wind takes me. Hopefully to the police academy, but if things that need to change don't change to make that possible, I have a career in film or tv to look forward to.