Thread: Taxi police

  1. #1
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    US
    Posts
    667

    Taxi police

    I heard that New York City has a special enforecment agency that is strictly for limos and taxis. What exactly do they do, I know they are just peace officers and are not part of the city pd.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    NavyCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by LT. EXPLORER
    I heard that New York City has a special enforecment agency that is strictly for limos and taxis. What exactly do they do, I know they are just peace officers and are not part of the city pd.

    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pct/sodtaxi.html

    These guys are NYPD officers. The Taxi Squad is part of the Special Operations Division of the NYPD.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    US
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyCop
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pct/sodtaxi.html

    These guys are NYPD officers. The Taxi Squad is part of the Special Operations Division of the NYPD.
    This is where I got my info, it may be a different agency http://members.fortunecity.com/nypol...s/nyctaxi.html

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    NavyCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by LT. EXPLORER
    This is where I got my info, it may be a different agency http://members.fortunecity.com/nypol...s/nyctaxi.html

    Yeah, its a different agency. The NYC TLC is a government agency that regulates the Taxi and Limo business. The TLC Enforcement divsion makes sure that those operating taxis and limos have the proper permits, etc...

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    NavyCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South
    Posts
    341
    Taxi cabs that operate in NYC have to have a medallion attached to the hood of their car. The TLC Enforcement squad makes sure that cabs have the proper medallions. The also make sure that the Cabs are not scamming passengers when it comes to fares. The enforcement guys also concern themselves with the criminal histories of the drivers and they make sure the drivers have all the proper documentation.

    The NYPD's taxi squad helps the TLC Enforcement squad with their duties but they also do undercover work. Example, when a rash of taxi robberies take place in a certain area, the taxi squad installs undercover cops as taxi drivers in that area in hopes that the robbers strike their vehicle.

  6. #6
    The Man
    Washingtonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Little El Salvador, Maryland
    Posts
    1,103
    I think Vegas has a "taxi police" force too. I'm pretty sure they're a seperate agency all together.
    Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Duluth Georgia
    Posts
    217
    So Does Tampa , They Have Full Arrest Powers .
    STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

  8. #8
    One Night In Bangkok
    orlandofed5-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    5,511
    Quote Originally Posted by pateshane
    So Does Tampa , They Have Full Arrest Powers .
    There is no Tampa taxi cab police. There maybe Tampa police officers (and Iam sure other agencies involved) with taxi cab enforcement but the Hillsborough County public transportation commission regulates most of the cab companies within the county.


    In Philadelphia taxi enforcement is apart of the parking authority along with the Pa state public utilitiy officers.
    Last edited by orlandofed5-0; 08-14-2005 at 03:01 AM.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    442
    NYC TLC Inspectors are peace officers and have arrest authority, both on and off duty. You wouldn't think it but they actually make a lot of assault arrests due to cab drivers losing their tempers over being summonsed. They generally only carry handcuffs and chemical spray, however there are a very few who are authorized to carry firearms. Those inspectors who are authorized to carry firearms, interestingly enough, are covered by HR218. From what I have heard from actual Taxi and Limousine Inspectors, it's not a bad job, but they don't get much respect from other law enforcement agencies. Hopefully that has changed since I last spoke to them. Check out the nyc dcas website for a complete job description and application info.

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    US
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza
    NYC TLC Inspectors are peace officers and have arrest authority, both on and off duty. You wouldn't think it but they actually make a lot of assault arrests due to cab drivers losing their tempers over being summonsed. They generally only carry handcuffs and chemical spray, however there are a very few who are authorized to carry firearms. Those inspectors who are authorized to carry firearms, interestingly enough, are covered by HR218. From what I have heard from actual Taxi and Limousine Inspectors, it's not a bad job, but they don't get much respect from other law enforcement agencies. Hopefully that has changed since I last spoke to them. Check out the nyc dcas website for a complete job description and application info.
    What is the website?

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    442
    www.nyc.gov/dcas

    Look for the current exam announcements. It's in the public safety and inspection category under Taxi and Limousine Inspector. Their pay is pretty low.

  12. #12
    Center City Bike Cop
    LBomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Phila.,Pa. U.S.A.
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0
    There is no Tampa taxi cab police. There maybe Tampa police officers (and Iam sure other agencies involved) with taxi cab enforcement but the Hillsborough County public transportation commission regulates most of the cab companies within the county.


    In Philadelphia taxi enforcement is apart of the parking authority along with the Pa state public utilitiy officers.

    Pa. Utility Commision no longer has any jurisdiction over the cabs. It is strictly the balliwick of the political hack-cop-wanna-be's at the Parking Authority.
    "The streets of Philadelphia are safe...it's the people that make them unsafe"---Frank Rizzo
    http://hometown.aol.com/ppd9886/PhillyCopSpot.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register