Maximum age for hiring police officers

Can anyone tell me if your police department has a maximum age requirement to be hired as a police officer? I see that some dept's say must be 21 or older and others say you must be between 21 to 35 or so as an example.

I am 33 now and I live in Illinois. I was just wondering if I am reaching the max. age requirement (if there is one). Also I was wondering if some dept's don't have a maximum age at all.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by I8A4RE LDYCOP2B; 08-07-2005 at 07:00 PM.

revised.............................

recycled
    Max age to take the test is the day before you turn 35yo. the list lasts for 4 years so i would say 38yo. the minimum age is 21yo. Connecticut has no maximum age
    retired, NOT retarded

Forum Member
    Really depends on the agency or department. For example, Federal Agencies have a Max age of 37 on appointment. That's due to the retirement for covered positions (LEO). My department is 35. Others are less and I have heard of some that do not have a Max age. Look at the websites of the departments that interest you. I would say that at your age you should be good to go for just about all departments.

One Night In Bangkok orlandofed5-0's Avatar
    Not all LE jobs in the government have a max age. Most police officer positions do not as do several other jobs not have a max age.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I8A4RE LDYCOP2B
    Can anyone tell me if your police department has a maximum age requirement to be hired as a police officer?

I am 33 now and I live in Illinois. I was just wondering if I am reaching the max. age requirement (if there is one). Also I was wondering if some dept's don't have a maximum age at all.

Thanks in advance.
    THIRTY-THREE IS NOT OLD!
    I don't think the Milwaukee (WI) PD has a limit.

AR has no maximum age for a LEO. But has a max age of 32 for a firefighter. Go figure? 32 is too young for a cutoff age in my opinion.

Forum Member
    I'm not aware of So Cal departments having a maximum age. The oldest I've seen go thru the academy was 57.

Quote Originally Posted by I8A4RE LDYCOP2B
    Can anyone tell me if your police department has a maximum age requirement to be hired as a police officer? I see that some dept's say must be 21 or older and others say you must be between 21 to 35 or so as an example.

Thanks in advance.

I was reading another post on another question and a guy from CALI said there wasn't an age restriuction someone that was like 56 just joined... so go ot cali!!! its sunny there anyhow

Forum Member
    In TX most larger cities fall under civil service where there are maximum age limitations.