Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Posts
    56

    Brass Knuckles...illegal?

    Are brass knuckles COMPLETELY illegal, or only illegal to have ON YOU...i know its a felony to have them ON you at any time, for any reason, but what about in your home? im just curious, ive known a few people who have had some.


    Also, some dude walked up to me while I was downtown and offered me a GLOCK 20, 10mm for $150 but he said he wasnt sure if the serial was scratched, but he knew it was clean. common sense says serial scratched = prison time. but what if it is just unreg'd? cant i just go to the ATF and have them check it out and register it to my father?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    lsmalibu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Big Tomato
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbadgett
    Are brass knuckles COMPLETELY illegal, or only illegal to have ON YOU...i know its a felony to have them ON you at any time, for any reason, but what about in your home? im just curious, ive known a few people who have had some.


    Also, some dude walked up to me while I was downtown and offered me a GLOCK 20, 10mm for $150 but he said he wasnt sure if the serial was scratched, but he knew it was clean. common sense says serial scratched = prison time. but what if it is just unreg'd? cant i just go to the ATF and have them check it out and register it to my father?
    Yes, brass knuckles are COMPLETELY illegal. On your person or in your home is irrelevant as they're both in your control and generally considered the same.

    Wasn't sure the serial number is scratched = serial number is scratched. And knew it was clean = not clean. Clean guns, let alone GLOCKs don't go for $150. Instead of buying hot guns from some ****bag in Downtown Sac, wait until you're 21 and go buy one from a registered dealer.

    You sound like a good guy, but you also sound immature, lacking common sense and a little gun-crazy. Do yourself a favor and get yourself into college or the military and worry about policework later.

    Feel free to PM me if you wish, I'm in the Sac area, too.
    *Not a cop*

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18
    BN's are illegal in Michigan. If in your home they are stilll illegal, but then who is to know unless your are wearing them and get a warrant served on you.
    As to the weapon - just turn the incident into the police. If you bought it and in the process of getting it to the police or turning it in to the ATF are found with it you'll be arrested.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rbadgett
    Are brass knuckles COMPLETELY illegal, or only illegal to have ON YOU...i know its a felony to have them ON you at any time, for any reason, but what about in your home? im just curious, ive known a few people who have had some.


    Also, some dude walked up to me while I was downtown and offered me a GLOCK 20, 10mm for $150 but he said he wasnt sure if the serial was scratched, but he knew it was clean. common sense says serial scratched = prison time. but what if it is just unreg'd? cant i just go to the ATF and have them check it out and register it to my father?

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    498
    Rbadgett,
    Ismalibu is right, don't be a knuckehead. Even at your age YOU KNOW that that gun is hot and not worth the penalty you will get if caught with it. YES, BK are illegal in any way shape or form. Getting/having a weapon with serial numbers scratched off is a FELONY and will land youir butt in jail, just ask the 18 year old ****head I just put in last week for the same thing. Had two guns loaded and both serial#'s off. Good way to start your adult life.

    Look, your young and from what I've read you like guns, great! Use them in the proper places with the proper supervision regardless of your experience. Las thing you need is some misunderstanding to happen and THAT get your butt in hot water with LE. Can you say "end of career" before it ever started.

    Good luck in your future and hopefully you'll make it with in the ranks of LE.

  5. #5
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    5,494
    Totally Illegal. No Exceptions in Ohio. CCW is the FELONY CHARGED
    Carry a roll of Quarters

  6. #6
    SoCal Expatriate
    pkagel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dallas Metro area
    Posts
    4,809

    Cpc 12020

    CPC 12020 Possession of prohibited weapons
    Manufacture, import, keeps for sale, offers for sale, gives, lends, or possesses any firearms not immediately recognizable as a firearm. High cap mags, ballistic knife, multiburst trigger activator, nunchaku, short barrel shotgun or rifle, metal knuckles, belt buckle knife, zip gun, shuriken (throwing star), billy clubs & saps or carry concealed on the person any dirk or dagger or any explosive other than fixed ammunition
    Felony
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

    For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    1sgkelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodie
    Totally Illegal. No Exceptions in Ohio. CCW is the FELONY CHARGED
    Carry a roll of Quarters
    Or here in TN you can go to a class and then carry an ASP.
    It's kind of like a CCW, just no gun.
    Kelly

    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

    And no you can't have any.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    BlackKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    151
    Illegal in NJ. Falls under Prohibited Weapons and Devices under N.J.S.2C:39-3.
    It is also defined as metal knuckles.
    "The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose" - Rom 13:4

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Posts
    56
    thanks for your help everyone. I was just curious.

    I'm NOT immature at all, in fact, I'm one of the safest, smartest, common sense shooters you'll ever meet. EVERY time I got shooting anywhere other than a range, I ALWAYS check the local laws. I'm not trigger happy, I'm not gun happy, I dont just want to get a hold of a gun, and I really really dont want to do it illegally...thats why I was asking. My buddy Joe found a Taurus 357 Magnum in a river around 8 years ago, took it to the police station, told them where he found it, they said it was unregistered and re-registered it into his fathers name (he was 16 at the time) and returned the gun about a week later. That was what I was wondering about...if the serial is NOT SCRATCHED (common sense) can I get it registered?

    Also, don't tell me to wait til I'm 21, I have a fiance who is 22, and my father is 53. I could have a pistol if I wanted one. I was just wondering because it was SO cheap if it was possible to salvage it as a carry weapon or even just practice. thanks guys.

  10. #10
    SoCal Expatriate
    pkagel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dallas Metro area
    Posts
    4,809
    Believe me, your immaturity is due to age and ignorance, not due to you being a bad guy. Get a few years on you and you'll look back at your post and kick yourself in the arse for even asking it, especially if you get into LE.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

    For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,981
    That's why when you buy brass knuckles at the flea market down in Alabama they come in a box that says "Paper weight." hahah (seriously)

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Posts
    56
    you guys can talk all you want, the fact of the matter is, you've never seen me shoot, and you have no idea how my attitude is, everyone assumes because i like guns i am waiting for a chance to pull one...WRONG. i hope i never have to pull a gun, and i hope i NEVER have to shoot anybody. far from trigger happy, and far from immature. you guys know nothing about me, so i'de appreciate it if you stop treating me like i have no clue what im talking about...fact being, i can almost guarantee i can outshoot you. i was offered a job by a recruiter for the army. talking about how i would be one of the top 5 shooters if i joined. fact of the matter is, ive taken the time to LEARN about the weapons instead of just going and getting one and saying i can shoot. ive hit a clothespin off of a block of wood at 25 yards. but thats fine, talk, im immature, im an idiot, blah blah blah...

  13. #13
    SSHHHH Quiet Please
    Straight Up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On that endless black ribbon
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbadgett
    you guys can talk all you want, the fact of the matter is, you've never seen me shoot, and you have no idea how my attitude is, everyone assumes because i like guns i am waiting for a chance to pull one...WRONG. i hope i never have to pull a gun, and i hope i NEVER have to shoot anybody. far from trigger happy, and far from immature. you guys know nothing about me, so i'de appreciate it if you stop treating me like i have no clue what im talking about...fact being, i can almost guarantee i can outshoot you. i was offered a job by a recruiter for the army. talking about how i would be one of the top 5 shooters if i joined. fact of the matter is, ive taken the time to LEARN about the weapons instead of just going and getting one and saying i can shoot. ive hit a clothespin off of a block of wood at 25 yards. but thats fine, talk, im immature, im an idiot, blah blah blah...
    Question???
    Is this another man overboard situation???
    Straight Up

    new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    He who speaks Truth
    BrickCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Between Canada and Mexico
    Posts
    4,160
    Proclaiming how mature you are is rather immature.

    Brass knuckles, Glocks with obliterated serial numbers...

    I don't fault you for asking questions. Although I did get a big chuckle at your tantrum because you didn't like the answers.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

  15. #15
    El Tambor Grande GRANDPA!
    DMS 525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    1,233
    Being a crack shot is all well and good, but wait until you have a target that shoots back! A FATS simulator or adversaries with Simunitions would wake you up to that in a hurry.

    My Dad taught me to shoot at a young age, and combining that with my military training and LE training, I can shoot a peanut off an elephant's butt at 100 yards with just about any weapon. And when I was in the Army, my CO though about recommending me for assignment to the Army's Marksmanship Team (which, by the way, is special duty by applying with the approval of, or by the recommendation of your commander, so no recruiter can guarantee you that job. Don't fall for it.).

    But having the ability to use firearms or any other weapons does not mean you are neccessarly able to use them against other people. That takes training and a few years of growing up. You'll see what I mean in a few years. Kinda like teenagers having sex; they have the knowledge of how to do so, and the ability, but do not fully understand the negative aspects of such activity.

    And: I have a feeling you may be the one in possession of brass knuckles. My best advice to you is to go throw those in the nearest river or lake. The only thing worse than you using them on someone is to have an adversary get them away from you, and using them on YOU!
    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by DMS 525
    And: I have a feeling you may be the one in possession of brass knuckles. My best advice to you is to go throw those in the nearest river or lake. The only thing worse than you using them on someone is to have an adversary get them away from you, and using them on YOU!

    im actually not the one in possession, i have had a pair in the past, and i was actually considering buying them again, but if theres a possibility of ruining my life/career because of a peice of brass, im cool off that. thanks for the help, and i realize you guys think im just a young gun, and i need exp, but the fact of the matter is, even with sim training and any other stuff anyone can come up with, it will NEVER prepare you for the first time you have to use your sidearm. all the training in the world cant change the fact that if you see a gun pointed at you, your adrenaline starts pumping, and you muscle memory kicks in...now, your muscle memory might cause you to draw your sidearm, and give warning, but what happens when you have to take a life for the first time? now honestly, i have had a mac-10 pointed at my head from about 3 yards. the guy was threatening to "pump me full of lead" along with anyone else who opposed him. to be completely honest, i wasnt the slightest bit scared. i was thinking more about ways i could get that gun away from him without hurting anyone else. it took me all of 2 seconds to figure out that a swift distraction would have disoriented him long enough for me to get him in an arm-bar, and get the weapon from him. shortly before i acted, i heard sirens, and saw lights, and he split. every day of my life i think about the very few pounds of pressure that separated me, and my maker. im totally aware of the dangers of guns, and i really think im ready to start REALLY training, shooting only goes so far, and i dont get why you have to be 21 before you can become a cop/cdc its quit annoying...its like...YES...IM 19!!! I CAN BUY CIGARETTES, AND I CAN DIE FOR MY COUNTRY...but i cant drink, be a cop, or own a pistol? hmm.....im just saying, im young, yes...experience would help, yes...but when it comes down to it, im ready to start training...and i cant, for another year and a half...retarded.

  17. #17
    Sayeth me!
    HCSO511's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,124
    1st question, ask yourself the question like this. since its illegal to have cocain on you is it also illegal to have it in your house.

    2nd question, the one about the gun. you surely arent so stupid that you really thought the gun might be legit were you.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    117

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Rbadgett
    i hope i never have to pull a gun, and i hope i NEVER have to shoot anybody.
    Amen to that. Best wishes for ya kid.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    117

    Question Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by Rbadgett
    and far from immature. you guys know nothing about me, so i'de appreciate it if you stop treating me like i have no clue what im talking about...fact being, i can almost guarantee i can outshoot you.

    i was offered a job by a recruiter for the army. talking about how i would be one of the top 5 shooters if i joined.

    fact of the matter is, ive taken the time to LEARN about the weapons instead of just going and getting one and saying i can shoot. ive hit a clothespin off of a block of wood at 25 yards.
    We no nothing about you? We were you. Many many many moons ago. We have all learned from our time on the streets and looked back at the way we used to be. Most of the guys replying to your thread are in one way or another trying to prepare you for what you have to look forward to.

    Did this recruiter ever see you shoot? I bet not. Most recruiters will say about anything to get you to sign on the dotted line.

    Fact is you have never seen any of us shoot. I have a 6 year old son that can shoot very very well. Does that mean I'm going to let him go out shooting with out someone there to keep him safe. I think not.

    Take your time. You have plenty of time for a career. Just like when you had to wait to get your Drivers License. The day will come. The rules were set for a reason.

    Again, Best of luck to ya.

  20. #20
    SoCal Expatriate
    pkagel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dallas Metro area
    Posts
    4,809
    I don't get why they haven't raised the minimum age to 30 myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rbadgett
    and i dont get why you have to be 21 before you can become a cop/cdc its quit annoying.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

    For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

  21. #21
    You've got gold!
    horne80's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    144
    Correct me if I am wrong, but did you just come on here asking if it was ok to buy a glock from "some dude downtown" that if you had ANY common sense (which you do of course, because you plainly stated that) you'd know:

    You don't buy guys from a person on the street.. (HELLO!?) Regardless of serial number status or if it's clean.

    Secondly, people talking about your immaturity. It's not a crime to be immature, but you seem to be trying to make a federal case out of it. Chill out man - nobody is on your case.

    But remember, if you roll up on here with obvious retarded questions like Can I buy a dirty weapon and be kewl, then you get what you get. And for the love of God nobody was talking trash about your "ability to shoot".

    :"its like...YES...IM 19!!! I CAN BUY CIGARETTES, AND I CAN DIE FOR MY COUNTRY..." :

    Good idea.

    haha kidding.

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    117

    Unhappy

    I was refering to the fact that we were all gung ho and ready to go at a young age. Most had to have the raines pulled back a few times by an FTO to keep you from.... awww never mind.

  23. #23
    Sayeth me!
    HCSO511's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbadgett
    i can almost guarantee i can outshoot you. i was offered a job by a recruiter for the army. talking about how i would be one of the top 5 shooters if i joined. fact of the matter is, ive taken the time to LEARN about the weapons instead of just going and getting one and saying i can shoot. ive hit a clothespin off of a block of wood at 25 yards. but thats fine, talk, im immature, im an idiot, blah blah blah...
    IT IS IMPRESSIVE THAT THE ARMY WOULD BE OFFERING SOMEONE A JOB, THEY RARELY LOOK FOR EMPLOYEES.

    YOU FUC&ING IDIOT

    you must be an idiot. i have never heard of the army hanging around gun ranges looking for kids who could shoot good. the army doesnt care what you can do when you join. they will train you the way they want you trained. that could be one of the most idiotic statments to attempt to convince someone your good i have ever heard.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    7
    Not 100% True Michigan guy...under the CCW/CPL laws of the Michigan crime code book of 2004 carrying "other" weapons beside a pistol under CPL is pretty vague and open to loopholes...as in brass knuckles, knife/blade over 3 inchs, dirk, multiple pistols etc...like wise I also carry a 24 inch extendable ASP baton along with my Colt 1911 when I carry concealed.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by HCSO511
    IT IS IMPRESSIVE THAT THE ARMY WOULD BE OFFERING SOMEONE A JOB, THEY RARELY LOOK FOR EMPLOYEES.

    YOU FUC&ING IDIOT

    you must be an idiot. i have never heard of the army hanging around gun ranges looking for kids who could shoot good. the army doesnt care what you can do when you join. they will train you the way they want you trained. that could be one of the most idiotic statments to attempt to convince someone your good i have ever heard.

    actually, they are considered jobs, so blow me. and he wasnt hanging around the range, he's my best friends uncle...thats fine though, bunch of cops who think theyre the **** cuz they have a badge...talk all the **** you want, when it comes down to it, immature or not...im not a dick.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register