asp baton in wisconsin

What Wisconsin statute states that an asp (expandable) baton is a dangerous weapon? I'm certified for the expandable baton, but I'm not in LE up here, my job takes me to the "ghetto" in Racine and I feel the need to have some form of protection for myself and my students (and sometimes from my students). My job only lasts till April when I can go back to Texas and get an LE job and I DO NOT want jepordize that by mistakenly carrying a dangerous weapon up here!!!
    “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”- Romans 12:12

**Not A Handler**
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcarroll71
    What Wisconsin statute states that an asp (expandable) baton is a dangerous weapon? I'm certified for the expandable baton, but I'm not in LE up here, my job takes me to the "ghetto" in Racine and I feel the need to have some form of protection for myself and my students (and sometimes from my students). My job only lasts till April when I can go back to Texas and get an LE job and I DO NOT want jepordize that by mistakenly carrying a dangerous weapon up here!!!
    I am not aware of any statue that specifically states that an ASP baton is a dangerous weapon. I did find this for you:

939.22(10)
    (10) "Dangerous weapon" means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded; any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (4); or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.

From the statue, many things could be used as a dangerous weapon (bat, asp baton, etc.)

Sounds like you work at Gateway (???). Just a guess....isn't Racine fun?

K9

Thanks for the info. I don't work at Gateway, I'm a drivers ed instructor, but I have some students who live down in that area. Our driver's ed car is one big advertisement for "inexperienced driver at the wheel, come carjack me" in that neighborhood. I would have not thought anything about it untill we where driving down by that area and one of my students got behind a car that was making a deal for some weed or crack, not moving fast enough for her she honks the horn (bad move!) at them. Oh well, i put the car in reverse from my side (thank god for console gear selectors) and tell her to step on the accelorator and back up, nothing much happened except for some hooker yelled at us. I told my student never to touch the horn again! She apparently never has never been to the south east side before.

Instead of asking for trouble with an expandable baton, I think I will get an ASP street defender w/pepper spray, it doubles as a key chain so it will draw less attention from students and allow us to exit the area faster.
    “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”- Romans 12:12