Thread: Oops!

OFK

Oops!

I would guess this would be rather difficult for a man to do, but it must happen once and a while.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061401063.html

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. -- A sheriff's department officer is red-faced and in hot water after leaving her gun in a Binghamton courthouse bathroom.

The Broome County Sheriff's Department corrections officer removed her 40-caliber Glock pistol while using the facilities. But she left the weapon behind when she left the rest room.

The gun was found by a civilian who alerted a courthouse security officer.

Sheriff David Harder told a Binghamton radio station the corrections officer was without her weapon for "less than five minutes."

Harder said an investigation into the incident is being conducted. In the meantime, the officer has been taken off the courthouse detail and assigned to jail duty.

The sheriff said he'll review the case before deciding what other disciplinary action is appropriate. He said the officer was "very upset" over the gun blunder.

Forum Member
    [QUOTE=OFK]I would guess this would be rather difficult for a man to do, but it must happen once and a while.

What do you mean 'more difficult for a man to do'?

OFK
    [QUOTE=Sag22]
    Quote Originally Posted by OFK
    I would guess this would be rather difficult for a man to do, but it must happen once and a while.

What do you mean 'more difficult for a man to do'?

Are you going to make me go through the differences between peeing sitting down or standing up?

The same thing happened to a female air marshal about a year ago. I don't know what type of disciplinary actions were taken.

Forum Member
    I know the difference. I guess I just thought that if the report stated only the weapon was left and not a duty belt......

As a female I can appreciate that frustration of going through the motions to pee, but at the same time I put everything back in the same place and even double check.

A guess just another reason why I might be victim to p**** envy

OFK
    Quote Originally Posted by Sag22
    I know the difference. I guess I just thought that if the report stated only the weapon was left and not a duty belt......

As a female I can appreciate that frustration of going through the motions to pee, but at the same time I put everything back in the same place and even double check.

A guess just another reason why I might be victim to p**** envy
    I have a very weak bladder, so I guess I would be victim to it as well. Though I don't tote any weapons at this time, I would think that as yourself, it would be extremely routine. I mean, I leave my keys all over the place, but I never lose my kid. (although there were bets on that one the 1st 6 months)

No Longer Active
    Female Police Chief here left gun in purse at libarary a few months back. Got 3 days off by her mayor. Had a couple of idiots leave guns in unmarked car and loose them to break ins etc.

God that is embarrassing!!!! It is easier to take your gun out so you dont have to fool with pulling your dang pants back up with all of that weight!! But I always make sure I have it back in the holster, especially before I leave public restrooms. Once in awhile it happens you leave your keys or whatever, but never your gun!!! Thats like leaving your child or something!!!! I kinda feel bad for her, and the situation could have been a lot worse, but hopefully her example will get other people to remember to have "everything back on" before the leave!

Forum Member
    Left her gun?! Being female, I can sympathize with the whole proccess that must occur when one takes a....10-94. However, my gun only comes out of the holster at the end of my shift or in defense. OK, and the one time I had to remove it, in the parking lot of a dennys, and hand it to my partner to hold so I could get the keeper that goes behind my holster back on. Other than that....it stays put. I take my radio off my belt when nature calls (although it stays with me all the time), but with my particular brand of luck I'd remove my gun and somehow have an AD. That would be one hell of an embarassing memo to write. I think my record for just holding it while on duty is something like 13 hours.......
    "The message has gotten lost......it's too much politics, too much COMPROMISE."

"It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you."

"Nothing in life that is worth having is ever easy to get."

zap
    Shouldn't the issue of lock boxes (like at the jail or courthouse) be mentioned? Those are not gender specific. I am certain there are those who have forgotten to pick up their gun before getting out to the cruiser.
    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Kickin' back in Carolina Creeker's Avatar
    I'm sorry...well, no I'm not.

This is a non-story to me.

I've never left my firearm anywhere other than at home once when I was running late for work... which I realized 10 minutes out.

But over the course of several years, I have known MANY cops that forgot their guns somewhere, forgot where they last put it, or forgot to get it back from the gunlocker at the jail.

I knew a female Det. Sgt... one of the protected class... who forgot where she put it, filed a report that it was stolen from her Cruiser, then found it 3 months later rusting and gathering foot fungus (among other things) under the drivers seat of her CV. She was punished by being promoted for tracking down her "stolen" duty weapon.

I had one Sgt. who constantly forgot his firearm until he got to work and one of us pointed it out. He was in charge of Evidence and without going into great detail, I'll just state that he kept a spare firearm in his desk for just such an occassion and didn't ever have to return home to retrieve it, so consequently the remedy was never positively reinforced by having to go home to retrieve it. Subsequent complaints of unethicality to IA always resulted in negative reinforcement for the complainant, so soooner than later it became a moot issue.

If the civilian had just found the firearm and turned it in, this wouldn't have been a story. The fact is that somone wanted to make political hay out of an unsecured weapon or embarass an administration. This firearm wasn't laying there just waiting for someone to shoot and it wasn't some vast conspiracy of wild eyed gun owners strategically putting firearms in the ladies rooms. Before the world became PC, it was an honest and embarrassing memory lapse.
    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

I agree accidents happen. I can see leaving your gun at home, leaving it in a lockbox in booking or whatever your circumstances may be. But, I have a problem with removing your weapon in a public restroom just to make putting your belt on easier when your done. Sure, man or woman, sometimes your gonna have to remove your belt. As far as I'm concerned though in that situation the gun shouldn't leave the holster.
    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Kickin' back in Carolina Creeker's Avatar
    My point is that nobody EVER hears about it when a Cop leaves the keys to their Patrol Car laying somewhere. Never hears about a fireman leaving an axe at a fire... a Detective leaving his in his unlocked desk with a suspect sitting beside the drawer in the desk...all of which could possibly have disastrous outcomes... but don't. It would be quite another thing if their had been something disastrous happen, but it didn't. She should get a letter in her file or some weapons awareness training and that should be the end of it.
    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?