Forum Member

Indiana State excise police

Just looking for info on this department. I know they are sworn, but do they have squads? What is a typical work week like for them? Is it a good agency to work for? Thank you

Forum Member
    It's a job they start at like 30-33,000 a YR. It will get you a ride to the academy as well. However, it's not a patrol like city or county police depts. you investigate illegal sales and use of alcohol and tobacco. Great stepping stone

Forum Member

actually, we do quite a bit more than "investigate illegal sales, etc.." Not sure what you mean by "squads" either, but ISEP is a state wide agency divided up into 6 districts. Each district is responsible for the counties within its district. Most districts have 9 officers - some more and some less. There's only 64 officers throughout the state, although we are hiring 25 new officers soon. I would not consider ISEP a "stepping stone" since it seems that the officers who leave for another agency regret it and try coming back. Typical work week depends on the officer and district. It varies throughout the state - weekends are busiest times of week due to parties, A/B sales, etc.. We have full police powers, and go through a 12 week recruit school as well as the 15 week ILEA basic course. Pay is pretty much above normal, and OT seems to be unlimited. It's a great job if you want to immediately have a take home car and be able to wear plainclothes for work. (we do have uniforms, but some details are more UC oriented)

Hopw this info is what you're looking for.

Forum Member

beer cop check your email for some info.

Forum Member
    BEER COP,
    I guess I have some bad information. My apologizes. Are you guys on the Police and Fire PERF? Or the Cilivan PERF like ISP-Capital Police? What

Forum Member

off_kimball: I never said you were wrong... I was simply trying to defend my agency since it almost seemed as if all we are good for is to gain ILEA certification so someone could go to another agency. This isn't a "stepping stone," and some of the officers here have been on for more than 20 years. Aside from some officers retiring, last person to leave ISEP was basically fired - he appealed for over a year in an effort to come back but failed. Last I've heard, he now works for a medium sized city police department.

We have our own retirement funding separate from and similar to PERF.

Promotions are granted like any other department - by merit, seniority and availability. Each district has a Lieutenant and one or more Sergeants. Officers are recognized as Officers, Senior Officers or Master Officers.

We are our own agency with our own funding and report to the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission. As a smaller agency (as in number of officers) each officer can generate as much or as little activity within our districts and still be involved in other projects such as training, investigations, undercover investigations, etc..

We are all issued weapons, ballistics gear, electronic surveillence equipment, regular electronic equipment and of course, take home vehicles (of our choice - ranging from CVPI to sedans to SUV's and pick-up trucks). The only limitation to any of our equipment is that we can't drive our take-home vehicles out of state unless for patrol - there are no mileage limitations and we are issued a gas card.

Forum Member

Beercop,

You mentioned the 12 week Recruit School prior to attending the 15 weeks at ILEA. What is included in the 12 week Recruit School? Is is para-military in nature or just an overview of the training necessary to get you through until you attend ILEA? Thanks in advance for the info!

Forum Member

The Recruit School is basically a combination of a "pre-Basic Academy" instruction along with an intensive training on the alcoholic beverage/tobacco laws for Indiana. It is class room instruction each day (Mon thru Fri) with PT at the end of the day. Topics such as DT (defensive tactics), EVO (emergency vehicle operations) and Firearms are done both in classroom as well as out in their respective settings. Since ISEP is a specialized agency, we concentrate on the types of problems we find in alcoholic beverage establishments (drunks, fights, drugs, illegal activities, etc..)

I actually learned more through Recruit School than ILEA because it's taught by people who are still active in the field. The instructors at ILEA are good - don't be mistaken - but Recruit School seemed to prepare me more for what I was to see out in the field.

Also, recruits gets liberty at the end of the day each day. Basics don't. Doesn't sound like much but if you've been to ILEA you know that liberty is very valuable. Plus we did not get woken up out of bed at 2AM like we did as Basics.

Forum Member

This sounds like a pretty good gig. Typically, how long after starting the probie period before you can get assigned to a plainclothes detail? So there's not much patrol work, right? For the most part, it's investigative details? Just curious, what do the uniforms looks like? What type of badge do you have? Silly questions, but humor me. -Thanks

Forum Member

2nd interview

Hey, I'm in the middle of the ISEP process. I've got the second interview comming up in a week, what should I expect? What comes after that? If I am accepted, what do I need to do to ready myself for the 12 week excise academy and the 15 week ILEA? (Not just the fitness, but what do I need to study to help give me a bit of a head start?) How do they choose what district they're going to put me in? Any info anybody can give me would be helpful. thanks.

Forum Member

Wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by m0695012
    Hey, I'm in the middle of the ISEP process. I've got the second interview comming up in a week, what should I expect? What comes after that? If I am accepted, what do I need to do to ready myself for the 12 week excise academy and the 15 week ILEA? (Not just the fitness, but what do I need to study to help give me a bit of a head start?) How do they choose what district they're going to put me in? Any info anybody can give me would be helpful. thanks.
    Hey I also went through that second interview last November. I didn't get a job offer! Did you???