Ruh

Preparation for Police Dispatcher written exam?

Few weeks ago I submitted an application to the place I want to work as a Police Officer but for the position of Police Dispatcher. Was not expecting any response let alone one so soon. However, today I got in the mail notice that I need to show up to take a test next week either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday (I will be going to the first one that I can).

I am curious if anyone has any idea what will be on the test and how I can prepare for it. It will be a 100 multiple-choice question exam and I will be given 2 and a half hours time to take the test. The 2 and a half hours also includes 25 minutes to review the Police Dispatcher Exam Study Guide. I don't feel that the 25 minutes will be sufficient. Even if the exam is really simple I still would feel more comfortable taking more than 25 minutes on the testing date to review.

If I recieve an 80% or higher I will go on to the next phase which will be the interview. I would also like to know what to expect here (or is it about the same as the process for hiring an Officer). I am not sure what happens after that.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me .
    Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother." - Henry V

I imagine its pretty basic man... the dispatchers here aren't what you'd call "scholars" so I wouldn't worry about it.

Not downing dispatchers or anything.

Hmmm... I went from the app, to the typing, to the oral - didn't have a written

Damn.. entry level started out at close to 3G's too I coulda used that job - DOH!

Ruh
    Well guess I don't really have too much to worry about. Really excited though and hope I get the job. Would be a great way to get my foot in the door of the department as well as get money to pay my academy expenses. Then there is the fact that I'd get added experience during the academy if I am able to work as a part time/fill in dispatcher AND do the academy.

Anyways...thanks I guess if there was more to it they would give me more time to review for it or give me more info on it.

It all depends on the agencies testing methods. It may be a standard civil service exam or it may be a test geared specifically towards public safety telecommunications or a general knowledge test that has nothing to do with the profession.... or a combo...

My agency had a written test that was combo general knowledge and then had questions geared towards the job. There was also an audio test where you had to listen to a crappy tape of a vehicle chase and write down as much as you heard. Map reading comprehension and memorization testing.

And like yours, assuming you got an 80% or higher, you were scheduled for a interview with my agencies Director, Deputy Director and Training Coordinator. The interview lasted about 30-60 minutes. Some of the questions clarified things on your application, previous employment, your work ethic, attitude, problems with past supervisors, working in a group, working shift work, working holidays, long hours, working in a high stress environment, etc... It was them making sure you could handle it. Dummies don't make it through our testing process, and if they do slip though the cracks, then the 14 weeks of training scares them off because they can't handle it or simply don't do well. The majority of the 18 staff at my agency have college degrees and most have been here longer then 10 years.

In addition, expect a BI and drug/physical test. A poly and psych are slightly less likely, but don't be surprised if they send you.

Also, if your not sure on this I suggest you do a sit along for a couple days and make sure this is something you CAN and WANT to do. It's nothing like police work, two totally different professions. But it will give you good experience for the street.
    MrJim911

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again

Ruh
    Thanks for the info Jim. I feel it is something I can and want to do and I have spent a little bit of time in dispatch (I was there for about 20 minutes during my last ride along while my officer finished up some paperwork). One thing I am a bit worried about is the handling of 911 calls. However, with training I am more than sure that I will be able to do it.

I'll also look into spending more time with dispatch other than the 20 minutes that I did last time.

Answering 911 calls for the first time are always nerve racking because you never know what your going to get... (kinda like a box of chocolates).. it could be a barking dog complaint or it could be a woman who just got shot by her husband... Time and experience helps ease those nerves, but the uncertainty of the call is always there.

Let us know how you do in your testing process.
    MrJim911

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again

Ruh
    Just an update for those that care...

I passed with at least an 80% I am not sure what I got just yet but I am going to call back in 30 minutes to find out and find out when I go in for the interview.

They told us at the test anyone with a score between 70 and 80 would pass but be put on hold and anyone with an 80 and up would pass and move on right a way. the 70-80's would be like a reserve I guess. Next up is the invterview, afterwhich I then go through the BI and psyche exam .

Prolific Propagator
    congrats!

Ruh
    Thanks!

Called back to find out I scored a 90%. Still wish I could have done better for some reason but I suppose the 90% will suffice .

Hey, that puts you ahead of everyone that got 89 or below. Congrats.
    MrJim911