Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

nylon or leather duty gear?

Do you recommend nylon or leather duty gear and why? Thanks.

Forum Member
    nylon its lighter and easier to clean

Synthetic Leather duty gear (basketweave). It looks nicer, holds up better than leather in that it wont tear or stain, and is professional looking. It costs a little more, so i'm gradually switching over, each time I need I new duty belt item, I buy synthetic, and toss the old leather crap.
    "I only had a couple!"

Forum Member

Leather is the way to go.

Last edited by toasterlocker; 09-05-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toasterlocker
    I disagree with a lot of people on the leather vs. nylon issue, and here is why.

People say nylon is lighter, but to me that is the only really advantage and the weight difference is tiny.

People say nylon is easier to clean, but I disagree. A leather belt with some Kiwi boot polish worked into it will make it look brand new, even if there are scratches in the material itself. Nylon will fade, fray and look old when you wash it, leather will only look better after some polish. I think leather holds up better over time, as long as you get a good quality fully-lined belt.

As far as the synthetic leather goes, I don't have much experience with it. I imagine it wouldn't polish up as nicely as real leather would though. Plus, I think real usually looks better anyway. Expensive too, even on ebay.

Also, its generally easier to find matching holders and such in leather.

As a matter of personal preference, I think leather looks better. There are things that are better about nylon, but you need to ask yourself if those minor improvements are worth it. My answer was no.
    I certainly agree with you toaster on the nylon vs. leather issue. If fact, in our department, Nylon is not allowed. However, as far as synthetic leather gear goes, side by side with the real stuff on my belt, you can't even tell the difference between real and not. The only real difference, is the synthetic looks better, in that it keeps its glossy shine and doesnt look worn.

I've have gone through a number of cuff cases, and one magazine holder so far in my career, because the leather just wore out and ended up tearing. Especially the cuff cases. I wear two cuff cases, one on each side, left and right, behind my back. The real leather ended up wearing so much in turned brown, I suppose from on the friction of the squad seat, and then the flaps ended up tearing after constantly snagging on the seatbelt or I would catch them on the frame of the squad. With the synthetic cases, I've noticed no problems.
    "I only had a couple!"

Forum Member
    I actually like the look of basketweave gear, however I think that leather is out dated with the new sythetics out there. I wear Accumold Elite and LOVE it. I will NOT wear real leather and policy won't allow me to wear plain nylon.

Leather is heavy, wears too quickly, and turns brown with wear. I know of NO ONE in my department of over 500 that actually cares for their leather gear by using polish and what not. There might be some who actually do it, but I haven't heard or seen anyone who does. This results in ALOT of people with some crappy looking gear.

Yes, nylon will fade a tiny bit. But in my experience, the leather will fade and wear much quicker than nylon will. I have friends with other departments who have nylon gear that doesn't look nearly as bad as guys from my department who've been on as long.

With modern nylon gear (NOT Uncle Mike's), such as K-Force, Accumold, or Safariland's new stuff, it is very unlikely that nylon gear with fray, tear, or fall apart. Fading is the only issue, and that is unlikely to be too bad as well. My brother uses a Accumold belt, going on 10 years old, that doesn't look much past brand new.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

I say leather....

why you ask...

Because my department makes me
    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Most of us in Finland are using Hellweg ( synthetic leather ) belt and gear. Great in function, looks and durability. Only downside is that we are having great backproblems ( the stiffness of the belt? ). There are people currently working on something new in our police organization. Modifications in seats of our cars ( ( mainly VW T4/T5 and Ford Mondeos ) is considered as well all as " tactical " holsters dropped to leg-level and carrying our essential gear in vests.

Considerable also that we do not carry any gear in the backside of our belts, because of the risk of becoming paralyzed when being
    stumbled in our back. May sound funny but it is a real problem in winter times with all the ice and snow.

I ride a sportbike!

A tip for fading

You can use the KIWI water-based shoe sole edge dressing. It is thin enough that it will not clot in the grooves of the nylon, but it wil return your gear to its original black finish.

You can also use it on the canvas part of your boots when they start looking dirty.
    If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an ***** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper
    I actually like the look of basketweave gear, however I think that leather is out dated with the new sythetics out there. I wear Accumold Elite and LOVE it. I will NOT wear real leather and policy won't allow me to wear plain nylon.

Leather is heavy, wears too quickly, and turns brown with wear. I know of NO ONE in my department of over 500 that actually cares for their leather gear by using polish and what not. There might be some who actually do it, but I haven't heard or seen anyone who does. This results in ALOT of people with some crappy looking gear.

Yes, nylon will fade a tiny bit. But in my experience, the leather will fade and wear much quicker than nylon will. I have friends with other departments who have nylon gear that doesn't look nearly as bad as guys from my department who've been on as long.

With modern nylon gear (NOT Uncle Mike's), such as K-Force, Accumold, or Safariland's new stuff, it is very unlikely that nylon gear with fray, tear, or fall apart. Fading is the only issue, and that is unlikely to be too bad as well. My brother uses a Accumold belt, going on 10 years old, that doesn't look much past brand new.
    I definitely agree with you on Bianchi. Their stuff is top-notch and I would recommend Bianchi whether you want leather, synthetic leather, or nylon.

I personally carry all nylon Bianchi AccuMold. In my opinion, it looks a lot better than most nylon gear and holds up better. I can understand why some people think nylon looks ugly and I think that's because they've only seen the cheap stuff. Bianchi AccuMold nylon gear is spendy but it is worth it as far as looks and durability goes. Plus, they've got a pouch for just about anything you'd ever want to carry on your belt and in any configuration. The choice between velcro and hidden snap closure is nice too. I carry only the hidden snap just because I'm afraid the velcro would wear out too soon, but I know lots of guys carry velcro, and maybe it's not that big of an issue.

Anyway, nylon for me please.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Deputy Jailer
    I've got a couple differant set ups, 1 Accu-mold nylon, 1 basketweave leather, and one plain leather.

I tend to favor the plain leather. For some reason the nylon gear screams "security guard" to me.

Forum Member
    I use Bianchi Accumold, and it looks as good today as when I started wearing it 6 or 7 years ago. Everything, from the holster to the cuff cases retains it's shape, plus, with an inner velcro belt, everything stays where it should. I also have a leather set up and things are constantly shoifting on it, unless I use a bunch of keepers.

Forum Member

Talking

Last edited by shiv357; 10-19-2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: none

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by keith758
    I use Bianchi Accumold, and it looks as good today as when I started wearing it 6 or 7 years ago. Everything, from the holster to the cuff cases retains it's shape, plus, with an inner velcro belt, everything stays where it should. I also have a leather set up and things are constantly shoifting on it, unless I use a bunch of keepers.
    I had an entire Bianchi set for the 5 yrs 8 months I worked at the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department in Phoenix AZ. It did not hold up so well it frayed, got old looking and wasn't holding up so great.Maybe it was that "Dry Heat!" out there but leather lasts longer and looks better!

Quote Originally Posted by cincyglocker
    I've got a couple differant set ups, 1 Accu-mold nylon, 1 basketweave leather, and one plain leather.

I tend to favor the plain leather. For some reason the nylon gear screams "security guard" to me.
    I almost gotta think it's a regional thing. Back east it seems to be more traditional, hence a lot of leather.

In the frontier (read: Pacific Northwest ) I mostly see officers wearing nylon.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Forum Member
    My entire duty belt is safariland plain leather.what i do is put the good ol' leather luster right to it and everytime it needs to be clean i just use pledge.But i have heard that leather luster will crack the leather but have not found this to be true yet,and even if it did my dept. buys all my stuff so if did crack i would just have them get me new gear.

Forum Member
    I like that the belt is leather and the cases are nylon because nylon is more flexible an it

Forum Member
    All of my duty gear is Safariland, basketweave. I tried an Uncle Mikes Mirage duty belt...and it just didn't cut the mustard.

Forum Member

leather or nylon

When my dept. went to an optional nylon duty belt, everyone thought it would be lighter and withstand the abuse we put it through longer. Didn't happen. In fact, over time, the nylon just started looking faded and frayed, the mag pouches were harder to keep open, and equipment just didn't sit right. Then they allowed baseball hats, mock turtle necks and all hell broke loose! Now we look like we got our uniforms from a rummage sale. The old timers that still know what polish is are rapidly being replaced, sigh.
    Jerry
    "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Caution: Unvetted member. KenW.'s Avatar
    I'm authorized nylon for the class b, and must use leather in class a. Definately prefer the nylon. Both rigs are set up the same. The nylon is quieter... no creaks. Also, no belt keepers with a velco belt liner. Everything on the nylon belt but my pistol and taser holsters is bianchi accumold and opentop. bianchi selection of duty holsters for the 1911 stinks .
    Last edited by KenW.; 07-03-2005 at 10:24 PM.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

We are issued with leather duty gear but everybody wears what they want

I see a few nylon belts around but a lot more none issue leather ones.

As for pouches, we are not supposed to have anything on our belts apart from rigid cuffs, CS spray and baton, pah, good job I've got a 38" waist to let me carry all my extra stuff

I think we are much more lax when it comes to how our belt order looks over this side of the water.

Forum Member
    I hate leather duty gear. First and foremost it is impossible to dissenfect if you get blood on it and is expensive to replace. My old department replaced a lot of complete duty belts due to the blood. Second nylon is lighter. Some might say its a tiny difference but I dissagree. Leather by its nature is heavy, after all it is skin. Leather is strong in a support role i.e. a belt, but gets very weak over time if used a lot i.e. handcuff flaps. had to have several accessory cases replaced due to their flaps tearing off from use. Whichever you choose to use, use common sense will it keep your gear secure therby keeping you safe?

I looked into getting synthetic leather gear... that is, nylon that looks like leather.

After reading threads on here, looking at stuff in person, and giving it way too much thought, I settled on Bianchi Accumold Elite in plain finish.

People can't tell it's not leather. The ONLY difference is that Bianchi doesn't offer a belt with 4 rows of stitching. I was able to get99% of the accessories I wanted in it (couldn't find a good handcuff strap, so kept the leather one which matches perfectly).

We'll see how it holds up. For now, I like it.

Forum Member

Leather Vs. Nylon

Here's my input on this...

I have three rigs... one nylon (Bianchi Accumold), one leather (Safariland Basketweave) , and one Synthetic (Bianchi Accumold Elite: Plain leather)...

Each serves their purpose, however, for the most traditional and professional look I have to go with the Safariland basketweave. Not to say that I don't like my nylon or synthetic its just that they don't give off the same professional appearance to me as the traditional leather. Its true that the leather gear is a fraction heavier than my other two rigs but thats really the only adverse aspect of it. That may also be because I have entirely to much crap on my belts too... either one.

Go HARD!! ... or go home. ACS1719's Avatar
    I have been dealing in duty gear for a long time as a side hobby and here is what I can tell you:

No type of gear is superior to another (leather v. synthetic v. nylon), however brands are a totally different thing (Uncle Mikes V. Bianchi... If you need tho think here there is an issue)... it is all about preference and requirements. I personally prefer the Bianchi Accumold Elite products because they give the appearance of traditional leather (to the untrained eye), are extremely functional and durable, and lighter than standard leather. I have both a plain leather appearance and basketweave appearance belt

However, I also Maintain a set of traditional leather and a Bianchi Accomold Nylon Rig... why you ask, because they all have or had their purpose. The Nylon was great, lightweight, durable gear for high impact special events or bike patrol when I was working security (though I dont currently use it).

Likewise the leather is great for formal parades or for that traditional hardcore professional appearance.

Its all about personal preference... however I will say this for sure:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY YOUR RIG BUY YOUR SYNTHETIC OR NYLON GEAR FROM BIANCHI AND YOUR LEATHER GEAR FROM SAFARILAND.

They are great products with outstanding durability. They are a little pricier but well worth the long term investment if you can afford it.
    Last edited by ACS1719; 04-26-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    "If and eye for an eye leave the whole world blind, then why the **** are gun toting gangbangers still hitting things?!!"

WHAT I USE AND STRONGLY RECOMMEND:
    Equipment Type: Bianchi Accumold/Accumold Elite/Gould and Goodrich/De Santis/Stallion Leather
    Flashlights: Malkoff Devices MD2 w/ Hi-Lo and M61W on 1x 18650 (Belt)
    Handcuffs: S&W 100's
    Preferred Firearm: Glock 22

***My statements are my opinions ONLY and are not representative of my agency or its policies***

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast