Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Driving with a suspended license / no insurance

Does anyone know what the consequences are if i allow someone to drive my car and that person has a long-term suspended license and no insurance coverage?

Someone told me if the un-licensed person gets pulled over or is involved in an accident, it would come down on me and I could lose my license, get my insurance raised, pay fines, and even potentially lose my home (if there's a lawsuit against the non-licensed driver).

I live in Allegheny County in Pennsylvania.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Hustler
    Question is, why would you even let someone drive your car with this kind of knowledge? If it came down to it and your "friend" or you got into an accident, etc..in court some defense attorney would try and fry your a** in more ways then one. Suggestion. Give your "friend" .50 to ride the bus or go buy a bike. Seriously though. The consuquences can be tremendous to you and your friend.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Creed
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlane1
    Does anyone know what the consequences are if i allow someone to drive my car and that person has a long-term suspended license and no insurance coverage?

Someone told me if the un-licensed person gets pulled over or is involved in an accident, it would come down on me and I could lose my license, get my insurance raised, pay fines, and even potentially lose my home (if there's a lawsuit against the non-licensed driver).

I live in Allegheny County in Pennsylvania.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    Well if you had to think about it and have grave concerns over it, then it must be WRONG. Why take a chance?

jakflak
    No one gets a suspended license for being a good driver. I wouldn't let someone drive my car just for that.

However, most states will automatically impound a car when the driver has a suspended license or no insurance. You'll have to pay for that, at least.

Forum Member
    your car gets impounded, and if he gets into an accident your insurance is going to pay.

No Longer Active

Not sure about PA but in Missouri, knowingly allowing someone to drive your motor vehicle who has no legal right to do so is in violation of state statute.

Here.....I would arrest the driver and make them post bond at the county jail, impound the car, and then find the owner.....and question them....and if the say they knew, arrest them as well.....

Forum Member

Driving with a suspended license.

Since you live in Pennsylvania, I would suggest you seek a specific answer from your nearest Pennsylvania State Police Post. My question to you is, why would you even consider allowing someone with a suspended D/L to drive your vehicle? That simply defies all logic, not to mention common sense. I also see many potential civil liability issues in allowing a person with a suspended D/L to drive your car. Doing so, could place you liability coverage in jeopardy. Again, why even consider it?

One *** To Risk
    In Michigan you could be ticketed for "allowing an unlicensed person to drive." I actually just wrote one the other day. It would be very foolish to let someone with a suspended license to drive your car.

Forum Member
    First from reading your post, you state driving with no insurance. That means you have no insurance if he is driving your vehicle. I think every state has at least a minimum liability law. If not then you have no problem with the insurance part. If he is caught driving your vehicle on a suspended license then it will get impounded or the officer may give you a courtesy and have you pick up the car rather than have it impounded plus storage fees
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

No Longer Active

Your car gets impounded. Your Insurance Drops You like a ROCK and you will likely be sued for damages
    Why would you be so stupid ?????????????

Littering and...
    Here's another kid who makes one post then screws...

Forum Member
    LOL...Actually, I'm not a kid, but a 35 year old mom and wife. I haven't had a chance to respond to the posts until now. Geese.

Anyway, as some of you know from the PMs, I KNOW it's stupid to allow someone without a license to drive my car. Here is my situation...

My husband is the one without the license. He is not expected to get it back for more than 7 years. The cars, house, insurance are ALL in my name. We have children that need rides to baseball, school, dance lessons, etc. I lose sleep at night because I do not feel capable of carrying his load of responsibilities and mine. But, I cannot possibly be in all places at all times, but I fear what can (and eventually will) happen when he gets pulled over or wrecks.

In all seriousness, what are my options? To continue to allow him to drive and then when something bad happens, claim ignorance that I didn't know he didn't have a license? Or do I report the car stolen?

If I were reading this as an observer, I would think I'm crazy (and stupid) too, but the situation is what it is, and I'm trying to find out what the legal and financial ramifications are if and when he is stopped.

Once again, let me say, I know allowing this to take place is not smart. I think, perhaps, I have guilt because we're expecting a third child and I'm not working, and he's paying all the bills, and I feel like I'm being a control freak or like I'm trying to be his mother.

I also feel like I've let this go on for as long as it has, so why make a fuss now. I guess it has just finally gotten to me and I don't feel right in my heart about him driving.
    "Change is inevitable...Growth is optional."

Littering and...
    In all seriousness, what are my options? To continue to allow him to drive and then when something bad happens, claim ignorance that I didn't know he didn't have a license? Or do I report the car stolen?

I also feel like I've let this go on for as long as it has, so why make a fuss now. I guess it has just finally gotten to me and I don't feel right in my heart about him driving.
    I don't know about PA, but here in MA you would get slammed for Allowing Improper Operation, $35. And he would either be arrested or summonsed for Operating After Suspension.

Keep dodging the bullet or get him a bus pass. I mean if his license is suspended for 7 years I doubt his driving will get any better.

Hockey Goon

See if he can get in a program that'll allow him the ability to drive to and from work. If not, there's always public transportation. Allowing him to drive is just setting yourself to take a fall/make his worse.
    Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
    --------------------
    This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

No Longer Active

Your going to lose everything you own.
    .How did this jerk lose his license for so long and did he kille somebody or is he an ahbitual drunk driver?
    It goes beyond the driving w/o a license you need a counsler now because you are enabling him to be who he is.
    Do you really want your kids homeless and you giving somebody 25% of your future earnings for life ??????????????????????????????

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodie
    Your going to lose everything you own.
    .How did this jerk lose his license for so long and did he kille somebody or is he an ahbitual drunk driver?
    It goes beyond the driving w/o a license you need a counsler now because you are enabling him to be who he is.
    Do you really want your kids homeless and you giving somebody 25% of your future earnings for life ??????????????????????????????
    His loss of license is from speeding and careless driving tickets on a sport bike (one of those Honda CBR thingys). He has never had a DUI and actually doesn't drink at all. He just let the tickets pile up and the expense at one point was too great for us. Even now that we can afford to pay the tickets, there's still the time without a license he has to incur.

As far as a counselor, I actually am a counselor at a Psychiatric hospital (go figure), and I know very well that allowing him to drive is wrong. And of course, I don't want to lose everything because of a potential accident that could make me liable for everything.

He has been making calls to attorneys so he can work on getting his license back, and at this point, he doesn't care how much he has to pay to get the ball rolling. It's just that in the meantime, I was originally asking what my liability / consequences would be if something were to happen.

No Longer Active

Okay we get it you have a guy you think you can "fix" and that fits many women we see in your profession. Sounds like he never grew up and maybe never will and is lucky he wasn't killed. Bet he still has the bike and once the license is restored will be back on it if he hasn't already.

Grrrrrrr...
    His loss of license is from speeding and careless driving tickets on a sport bike (one of those Honda CBR thingys). He has never had a DUI and actually doesn't drink at all. He just let the tickets pile up and the expense at one point was too great for us. Even now that we can afford to pay the tickets, there's still the time without a license he has to incur.
    If I had kids, and my wife lost her license for "speeding and careless driving", there's no way I would ever let the kids in any vehicle with her behind the wheel.

My first reaction to this post was "Wow, your husband is a real brain surgeon, huh?" Before I could post that, I realized you have to be, too, A) for being married to this dope in the first place, and B) for looking for a way around his having lost his license. I really don't mean this personally, but... good God.

No Longer Active

Go ahead and report it stolen so the husband can bring the kids to jail and then prison to visit you after we lock you up.

Forum Member
    Okay we get it you have a guy you think you can "fix" and that fits many women we see in your profession. Sounds like he never grew up and maybe never will and is lucky he wasn't killed. Bet he still has the bike and once the license is restored will be back on it if he hasn't already.
    Whew! Man, you're harsh...lol... Actually, he sold the bike, but that's beside the point. As far as fixing anyone, no thanks! What I am more concerned with is making sure I start doing the right thing. I can only take care of my "side of the street," and as long as I do that, whatever he should choose to do, that's on him.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnojr
    If I had kids, and my wife lost her license for "speeding and careless driving", there's no way I would ever let the kids in any vehicle with her behind the wheel.

My first reaction to this post was "Wow, your husband is a real brain surgeon, huh?" Before I could post that, I realized you have to be, too, A) for being married to this dope in the first place, and B) for looking for a way around his having lost his license. I really don't mean this personally, but... good God.
    I hear you, loud and clear. He lost his license before we were married. As I said in an earlier post, there are no tickets or violations from driving his car. All the violations are from the CBR. He does not drive recklessly with our children in the car, and since 2 days ago, he is not driving at all. I know there's no way "around" him driving with a suspended license, I was most concerned with the liability / consequences if he did. Believe me, I know this is not a "normal" situation.

Forum Member
    Go ahead and report it stolen so the husband can bring the kids to jail and then prison to visit you after we lock you up.
    Even though I know you are being a smart-***** with the way you worded this, your post is actually the answer I'm looking for. What I've been asking about all along is whether or not I am personally liable for his mistakes. I guess, in a not-so-nice way, that's what you're telling me?

I've been following a lot of the posts / advice, and now that I know the liability / consequences would fall on me, I am not comfortable at all with him driving. He knows this, and if he should decide to drive anyway, well, that's his prerogative and he will have to deal with personal consequences.

No Longer Active

No one comes here expecting us to be nice. We are quite blunt to the point and with facts prtesented tell the truth. You are the one at risk and your kids so I guess you did get the point.

Forum Member

CMLane, to put it simple, yes you could get sued if he is in an accident even if it is not his fault, you will lose your license for allowing someone whose license you know is suspended to drive your car. Bottom line, don't even think about it as even in the best of circumstances you are going to get nailed bigtime and everyone will suffer including the kids!

No Longer Active

gogogadget YOU are DEAD wrong. She is liable and responsible because she has prior knopwledge of the acts and knows he is not to drive. It is tough to believe she can still carry insurance on any motor vehicle with him in the house

Page 1 of 2 12 Last