Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • NYPD

57 45.97%
  • NYSP

67 54.03%
Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last
    He who speaks Truth
    What is your source of information that seemingly every Cop wants to be a Trooper? Is it just because you say so? Or do they teach mind reading at the Trooper Academy too..

I have no doubt that thousands of applicants took the NYSP exam and that very few are appointed. But then again thousands and thousands of people up my way take the Civil Service Police exam and very few get on their respective departments. So the exam analogy is a wash.

The fact that you have a large jurisdiction means nothing to a cop in the city who's "five mile" sector may see more crime in one day than a stretch of highway or rural town sees in a year.

IMO like us "regular" cops, you should be proud of your Agency; just don't let that earned pride delude you into thinking every cop yearns to be like you. I think you have a great job but then again I don't have to demean what you do to make myself feel superior- you should try it sometime Trooper.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Enlarged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by izhazissuez
    how is state better than NYPD, this is what I would like to know, I know a fair amount about the State Police, and about the NYPD as I have friends that have 20+ years on the job with both agencies. If you could enlighten me about how the State Police is bigger and better than the NYPD that would be awesome, thanks.
    Talk to your friends who are retired off both jobs and see what they tell you. No Retired Trooper is going to tell you to work for some other agency. The old school guys are even more pro-Trooper than us younger guys. All I can tell you is there are plenty of guys who jumped ship on NYPD to become Troopers or were NYPD while waiting to be called to our academy. You don't see Troopers leaving for NYPD. There is nothing you can do in NYPD that you can't do in NYSP and you can work anywhere in the state you want as a Trooper. First few years... wanna work out of a barracks that is fast paced and busy... work downstate. Got 10 years on and want to relax a little bit? transfer up to the Adirondaks or out to the T-way or a special detail like Commercial Vehicles. Like computers? Do you 4 years on the road and put in for the bureau as a computer crimes investigator. The list goes on an on. Unless you took our most recent test you have a long time to think about it. Next test isn't going to be till late 2007 probably.

Battering Ram of Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper4985
    Sounds pretty heavy.... RPD averages a shooting and probably 10 stolen cars a day and guess who RPD calls for help... you guessed it... The man wearing a stetson. Are your addicts stupid enough to actually rob the pharmacy or are they just burglarizing them and you misspoke?
    DUHHHHHH.....I tHinK i kNoz thA dIffReNCe TwEEn a bUrgelee n A rObrEE.

If they are burglarizing the pharmacies, I would have said so. They are robbing them. As in, "Give me all your Oxycontin and Percocet". One idiot forgot to look behind him, and one of our off-duty guys (in uniform) was three people back in the line, waiting to get a script filled.

BTW....if we need assistance (very rare), we call the surrounding cities & towns. I trust them far more to do the common sense thing in regards to street crime than a clueless trooper who spends all night writing traffic tickets and accident reports.

Dude, you are seriously a cartoon character of the typical arrogant state trooper. Do you honestly wonder why cops & deputies can't stand you guys? Are you for real??
    Last edited by Delta784; 04-11-2005 at 07:02 PM.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Enlarged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta784
    DUHHHHHH.....I tHinK i kNoz thA dIffReNCe TwEEn a bUrgelee n A rObrEE.
    Wow... I asked an honest legit question and Delta still got defensive... drink less coffee... It helped me relax.

off-duty guys (in uniform)
    Reason 371 why Troopers are more professional. Wearing your uniform off duty says... "Oooohhh! Look at me... I'm a cop!" Can your department not afford lockers and a room to put them in?

Dude, you are seriously a cartoon character of the typical arrogant state trooper. Do you honestly wonder why cops & deputies can't stand you guys? Are you for real??
    Most of the Officers and Deputies in this county have no problem with us. There are a few who haven't made it into our ranks and are forever bitter about it but that's understandable. Come on Delta... you're disappointing me. Please make your trademark refrence to Soutpark and ask me if I think I am a taco that craps ice cream!

It is funny how easy it is to get people worked up. I used to like having fun with drunks... that got old... I think I found my replacement for convincing drunks the whole world is conspiring against them to keep them unemployed and living in a trailer.
    Last edited by Trooper4985; 04-11-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Trooper4985] Let them make fun of our Stetson and purple tie. It will be funny to you how many SO's and PD's you will see in the next 20 or more years that have changed their uniform to look more like ours because they all secretly yearn to be addressed as "Trooper".

Good pensions and benefits, and union - You obviously haven't talked to many NYPD guys. You can't live on what NYPD makes unless you commute an hour or more to work if you've only got 1 income.

State Police
    Smaller - 1 Riot, 1 Trooper

Hire fewer - Can't find enough NY residents qualified to be honored with being called Trooper

Have take home cars - Ha! not the road guys

Patrol/jurisdiction whole state - It's awesome not being confined to 5 square miles.

Get to be called Trooper - You earn that title

Wear that Mounties hat - Big diffrence between what RCMP wears and our Stetson

Have a purple tie - only in dress uniform and winter months.

And a stop sign for a badge - And a 6 point star looks any less odd? Narrowminded people like yourself are why the guys in Troop NYC have to carry a fake NYPD look-a-like shield... New Yorkers don't recoginize anything other than the NYPD shield as legit because of their less than impressive knowledge of things outside the 5 boroughs.[QUOTE]

Hey Troop. There is no doubt That NYSP is bad @$$. No one here said your agency wasn
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Enlarged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sob153
    NYPD has a load of specialized units
    Too many 'specialized units" are a waste. Teach your road guys to do more than just get Name, B-day, Phone and address and pass it off to an investigator/detective.

ESU - NYSP MRT road guys who get called up when something happens.
    K-9 - YES
    Task Force - task force what?
    OCCB - Troop NYC
    HWY - TWay guys and some barracks are highway only
    Truck Enforcement - Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit
    Does State have it? - Yes and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by sob153
    You will not find any other agency in the COUNTRY that has a badge like that. Is that unique.. yea but a 6 point, or 5 point or shield type badges are RECONGNIZED through out law enforcement and the country. If I knew nothing about NYSP and you showed me that badge, I would check you out in a heartbeat.
    That's the reason we have the shield we do... we are not your typical SO or PD... we are diffrent and unique. If I get stopped or ID'ed I don't show my badge... I show my picture ID. I certainly hope you aren't just letting guys go becuase they show you a shield. You do know anyone can get a shield stamped from Galls right? I always ask for ID... flashing a shield you can get at KB Toys is no big deal. Flash a fake picture police ID... now we've got some problems.

He who speaks Truth
    I chuckled at Trooper's hypocritical dig about the uniformed cop waiting in line at the Pharmacy. He wanted to advertise to everyone that he was a cop? Yeah no one could ever accuse a Trooper of doing that.

About the take home car perk-

I gotta admit with gas prices these days I wouldn't mind having "a company car". Having said that we all drive cruisers while on duty so it's not like we're using our p/v's.

I know a few Troopers who cringe everytime they see a disabled motorist in the breakdown lane while they're driving home. I know of one who liked to drive beside a semi or other large truck so he could claim he didn't see the vehicle on the side of the road.

I am envious of the Troopers gas money savings commuting to and from work but I personally wouldn't want to advertise or draw attention to myself when I am off duty. The Black and Gold in your driveway may be impressive to the neighborhood kids and the fat UPS guy who lives next door but it's also is a big neon sign to every ****bag who drives by your house that a cop lives there.
    Last edited by BRICKCOP; 04-12-2005 at 08:32 AM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Forum Member
    If I get stopped or ID'ed I don't show my badge... I show my picture ID. I certainly hope you aren't just letting guys go becuase they show you a shield. You do know anyone can get a shield stamped from Galls right? I always ask for ID... flashing a shield you can get at KB Toys is no big deal. Flash a fake picture police ID... now we've got some problems.[/QUOTE]

Of course I ID, no question there. You can still lock someone up for displaying a fake PD badge, but that is besides the point. In case you didn't see it, this is my last 2 sentences in my last post. "NYSP is a good agency and so is NYPD. It depends on the persons preference.:
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Battering Ram of Justice
    Reason 371 why Troopers are more professional. Wearing your uniform off duty says... "Oooohhh! Look at me... I'm a cop!" Can your department not afford lockers and a room to put them in?
    Now wait a second.....you're forever bragging about your take home "blue & gold". Do you get changed after your shift, then drive your marked cruiser home while wearing a sweatshirt and jeans? You can't have it both ways....you either come & go to work in uniform, therefore, by your standards, saying "Oooohh! Look at me....I'm a cop!", or you look completely ridiculous driving a marked cruiser dressed in civilian clothes. Which is it?

But, to answer your question, my PD has a very impressive locker room, with adjoining weight room. I've had a locker there ever since I got on, but I choose to get dressed at home. I'd much rather spend the extra few minutes at home with my children, as opposed to being in a locker room, an obviously foreign concept to you. I keep a spare uniform in my locker, just in case, but I don't see the need to get dressed/undressed at work. I just throw a civilian jacket on when I'm driving to/from work.

Maverick
    That's the reason we have the shield we do... we are not your typical SO or PD... we are diffrent and unique.
    Being different or unique does not, in and of itself, make you superior to others outside your department.

It sounds like you are a victim of academy propaganda. How much time do you have on the job, not including academy time?

I admire you for being proud of your department. I also applaude you for what appears to be an energetic work ethic.

What I don't understand is your obvious negative attitude towards your fellow LE officers. I don't care if an officer works for a large metropolitan department, a state agency, or a small department in a rural setting. All of these men and women have sworn to uphold the law just as you have and if necessary lay down their life. These same officers, at one time or another, experience the same frustrations, dangers, and stress that any other officer does in the US. To put down other officers or their departments is not only non-productive but just makes no sense. We are all in this together and will hopefully make it for thirty years and retire after a safe and productive career.

Perhaps you could explain how a thread discussing uniform estetics became a department / officer flame throwing event.
    Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Bored

Ticket Nazi- Dispensing justice in a fair and impartial manner?? Comes right from your user profile. Doesnt make sense. ANd why on earth would you use the name NAZI? I mean on one hand you say your fair and impartial, then you call yourself a ticket NAZI. WTF-
    I got nothing for now

Senior Veteran

I'm glad to know this whole trooper vs. local thing isn't just confined to my state. It's comforting to know we don't have a monopoly on arrogance.

I feel so ashamed that I have to wear my uniform to work. I'm glad, however, that it's blue, like a cop's uniform should be.

Ramathorn

anyone else have any input as to which would be a better choice for an EMT/ fire fighter and an agency. I just wish that when i get on the job that i can use my certified skills. I know that NYPD will give me this opportunity, but I wonder if anyone knows if State will offer me this same opportunity.
    Alf

Bored

anyone else have any input as to which would be a better choice for an EMT/ fire fighter and an agency. I just wish that when i get on the job that i can use my certified skills. I know that NYPD will give me this opportunity, but I wonder if anyone knows if State will offer me this same opportunity.
    Tough thing to answer. If you have a BIG head and ATTITUDE than the NYSP might be better. Of course because you'll be on your own in the middle of Bumfuk NY you might use your skills more. HAHAH But the NYPD is still the greatest job in the world. Even though the job kinda sux now. Every agency has its ups and downs, positives and negatives and every department has someone like TROOPER the Ticket NAZI. NYPD might have just gotten a decent pay raise, I think its 9 and 9 % over a few yrs. Plus they have great specialized units that could use your skills, ESU, Harbor. The greatest Department in the World. At least thats what the signs say...
    I got nothing for now

recycled

Just keep looking around, there alot of local dept's that have EMS flycars and give a stypend (extrapay) for EMT's. Unsure about NYSP, but it's a large agency with alot of different unit's. For me, I am an EMT/vol FF and it has been useful in my job. I started in NYC Transit PD and having both (EMT/FF) looked good during the investigation process. Good Luck!
    retired, NOT retarded

Ramathorn

awesome, well its looking like city more and more, because I have spoken with people in the department and having my EMT skills is a good way to get into the ESU ambulance which is awesome. But I am going to see who hires me first :-) thanks for the votes and keep any more suggestions coming.
    Alf

Battering Ram of Justice
    I just noticed that my favorite trooper has been banned.

He's an arrogant jerk, for sure, but I don't believe he posted anything worthy of being banned. Moderators.....what's going on here??

Bored

Maybe had something to do with him calling himself the Ticket NAZI. ???
    I got nothing for now

Battering Ram of Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by e-man
    Maybe had something to do with him calling himself the Ticket NAZI. ???
    Oh, I missed that little tidbit. That probably explains it.

He who speaks Truth

Exclamation

Trooper has just as much of a right to post here as the rest of us. I hope he was not banned over the "Nazi" term- it was obviously sarcastic. I disagreed with a lot of what he had to say but he had every right to express his opinions- unpopular or not.

Unless there is something I am not aware of I would respectfully request that his "banishment" be reversed.

It wasn't me!
    Brick, I think you and Delta LIVE for jokers like that to come on here. Just so you can put them in their places!

The Patron Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKCOP
    Trooper has just as much of a right to post here as the rest of us. I hope he was not banned over the "Nazi" term- it was obviously sarcastic. I disagreed with a lot of what he had to say but he had every right to express his opinions- unpopular or not.

Unless there is something I am not aware of I would respectfully request that his "banishment" be reversed.
    One of the many reasons why I respect you.

Took me a while to read through all of this, but the same goes for you too Delta.
    When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Quopper
    One of the many reasons why I respect you.

Took me a while to read through all of this, but the same goes for you too Delta.
    Same here. I have nothing but respect for Brick and Delta. They are consummate professionals and fair without question. Way to go guys.

It wasn't me!
    I respect both of them, and I can say freely that they scare the hell out of me sometimes too!

Senior Veteran

I too move that the NYSP trooper be reinstated, if in fact he was banned for his Nazi tag line. "Traffic Nazi" is a tongue-in-cheek term that is used in LE circles all over the country for officers who engage in aggressive traffic enforcement. As seemingly full of himself as Trooper4985 appears to be, I fully support his right to his viewpoint, even if I vehemently disagree with his viewpoint.

If he was banned for other reasons, I'll shut up.

Page 3 of 9 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last