Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Forum Member

So what country has the best police force in the world?

While there are undoubtedly many outstanding forces in many different countries, the English are probably the best. Let's face it, they developed such concepts as finger-printing and DNA when the rest of the world was (and in many cases still is) in the dark ages. Respect to the constabularies and the English intellect! I hope that we may catch up one day.

Forum Member

i think iceland has the best force.
    "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
    William Shatner

Emotionally Fragile
    I hear the Chinese Police Forces are rather progressive...
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    I hear the Chinese Police Forces are rather progressive...
    ya they do. you steal a car, they cap your *****. you sell or buy dope, they cap your *****. you rob somebody, they do a little kung fu and then they cap your *****.
    "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
    William Shatner

Forum Member

Bart, Welpe, I too found it difficult to accept but c'est la vie. By the way, is French permitted here? You are on a slippery slope to suggest that Iceland has the best force. As for China, it's the art of fighting, without fighting, but don't you think we need more room?

Victory is mine!!!!
    The USA! Hey somebody needed to vote for the US.

Victory is mine!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    ya they do. you steal a car, they cap your *****. you sell or buy dope, they cap your *****. you rob somebody, they do a little kung fu and then they cap your *****.
    I forgot but doesn't turkey have the death penilty for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol?

Emotionally Fragile
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza
    Bart, Welpe, I too found it difficult to accept but c'est la vie. By the way, is French permitted here? You are on a slippery slope to suggest that Iceland has the best force. As for China, it's the art of fighting, without fighting, but don't you think we need more room?
    Well you're going to find I don't particularly care! The only country I intend to police in is the United States. Just how it is so why even worry about it?
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Hound

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza
    While there are undoubtedly many outstanding forces in many different countries, the English are probably the best. Let's face it, they developed such concepts as finger-printing and DNA when the rest of the world was (and in many cases still is) in the dark ages. Respect to the constabularies and the English intellect! I hope that we may catch up one day.
    Great question.

The Japanese: Great communicators, as are English Constables, but what gives them the advantage is they are black belts in Japanese martial arts.

They don't have the constraints put on them like American police do, otherwise we'd be talkin a WHOLE different matter. American police are the bravest!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMPD
    I forgot but doesn't turkey have the death penilty for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol?
    i know theyre strict about drugs but im not sure they go that far. there was a chicken head that used to work my district 24-7 whom i had a pretty good rapport with. she had a work ethic that would have helped her go far in life had she chosen a better line of work. she must have seen 15-20 johns a day. anyway, last i heard, she hooked up with a mule and went to turkey as his assistant mule. she ended up getting caught with the goods and got life but they didnt kill her like they would have if she had been in china. sad story but we all make our own beds in the end.
    William Shatner

Resident Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by theugly
    Great question.

The Japanese: Great communicators,
    snip

I had a Lt. who came from IAD. A real putz. He was telling some rookies about Japanese Community Policing like he would know. Anyway he tells the rooks the Japanese beat cops have to make a personal visit to everyone on their beat twice a year. I said with all the authority I could muster "Yes, their birthday and Christmas" and ran out the door! He hated me.
    Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

In memory of Delta784
    Quote Originally Posted by 3/4s
    snip

I had a Lt. who came from IAD. A real putz. He was telling some rookies about Japanese Community Policing like he would know. Anyway he tells the rooks the Japanese beat cops have to make a personal visit to everyone on their beat twice a year.
    Knowing the population density in many areas of Japan, that guy is full of it.
    Most members of the public I talk to think community policing is way over rated. The needs an wants of the public are very simple. When they call the police, they want them to show up in a timely manner, treat them with respect & handle or solve the problem correctly the first time. They want to feel safe in their community. Most could care less about having tea & crumpets with the beat officer.

Forum Member

Actually, the Japanese police work under some really different rules. Yes, they are expected to visit ever resident twice a year. They have to pry into how the children are doing in school, if they are sexually active, has anyone been sick, where you work, what hours, what pay, who your friends are, etc.
    If you have overnight guests, you are expected to visit the "Police box" and tell them who, where they are from, how long they are visting, etc.

Plus, there are few protections we enjoy. You can be held without charges, and without outside contact. They is no law to prevent the police from beating you until you confess, which is how they have such a high confession rate.

But, since we cannot define "best", it's an open question.

In Russia, before the wall came down, there was no crime. Why? Because there were no criminals, only insane people. After all, since they had created the 'perfect' society, only the insane would be 'anti-social'.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Forum Member

Samuel, when you state that "this post sounds like rectal cavity pontifications to me", what exactly do you mean? Does your use of the word 'rectal' refer to being of, for or near the rectum, or could it just be a sigmoid flexure to the anus?

And when you speak of cavity, is that a hole or hollow place, or a natural hollow within the body or even a hollow place in a tooth? Could it not even be a cylinder with a rod in the center enclosed by conducting walls and serving as a resonator for electromagnetic waves?

I dare say you are acting as a pontiff, but you may even be acting in a pompous or dogmatic way. Seems clear to me.

Sleuth, I commend your insularity.

Emotionally Fragile
    Sounds more like a case of cranial rectumitis....or maybe he's a collge professor?

Forum Member
    Ireland, but that was easy; Ireland has the best of everything.
    Kelly

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel
    I think KATHY Ireland is AOK!
    I'd certainly like to visit that Ireland!
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMPD
    The USA! Hey somebody needed to vote for the US.

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Of course the best in the US is right here were I take up residence... .
    Stay Safe!!

Forum Member
    This is kind of related. I did some research a while back and discovered that the U.S. has the highest confession rate of all police forces in the world. That's gotta count for something, right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    Actually, the Japanese police work under some really different rules. Yes, they are expected to visit ever resident twice a year. They have to pry into how the children are doing in school, if they are sexually active, has anyone been sick, where you work, what hours, what pay, who your friends are, etc.
    If you have overnight guests, you are expected to visit the "Police box" and tell them who, where they are from, how long they are visting, etc.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but your "information" is bogus. Cops asking about your kid's sex lives?!? Puh-lease!! A cop asking *that* kind of question cuold very well find himself under investigation for pedophilia. I have lived in Japan for over seven years. My last job was translating and interpreting J-E so I speak/understand the language well. I was only visited by a cop doing his mythical "check" *once* in the whole time I have been here. He asked NONE of the questions you mentioned. It is none of their business what your pay is, what hours you work, etc. The check is basically confirming information that they can easily find out through the city office. You do NOT have to tell the police if you are having an overnight guest. That is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    Plus, there are few protections we enjoy. You can be held without charges, and without outside contact. They is no law to prevent the police from beating you until you confess, which is how they have such a high confession rate.
    Battery by a cop is still battery, and officers here have been punished for it. Several cases have been thrown out in recent years because the confessions were false. Methinks your information is about 50 years old... Also the myth of "all Japanese cops are blackbelts" is pretty bogus too. It is like saying that all officers that have completed their Defensive Tactics training are "Blackbelts". Their academy is similar to any other, get 'em in, run 'em through the training, get 'em out. Here are your "Blackbelts" in action:

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/0503/02cops.html
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    -Jeff Cooper

Forum Member

Obfuscation, obfuscation, if only I could see through the clouds! I bow to your acumen Samuel, you must have completed your two tenure on the streets!

And when you ask about 'intimate knowledge', is that really necessary to express an opinion that I never claimed to be factual or accurate? Of course not, despite 9 years service in the U.K, 5 years in Australia and 3 years in the U.S. Yes, only 17 years service in 3 countries.

It Smells like cavity pontifications to me!

Forum Member

The facts I quoted are from the book "The Mountie, the Samuri, and the Cowboy". I don't have it here, so I can't tell you the author's name or the publisher. The book was comparing the gun laws and criminal justice systems of various countries, and is, indeed, about 15 years old.
    If, ZenMarine, you were with the U.S. Government at the time you were there, you may have been exempt from the police inquiries.

And I never said anything about "blackbelts" in my post. Please don't put words in my posts.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

El Tambor Grande GRANDPA!
    My vote goes for the German Polizei. Tough, sharp, and they don't take anyone's crap. Yet, those I had the opportunity to talk to were some of the nicest guys I have ever met. Very professional.
    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Forum Member
    Samuel is right Dazza, time on has nothing to do with it. You could have been a cop in Mudgee in Oz for all we know, where you would have learned less in 5 yrs than a cop in Bankstown would have in their first 3 months. Same goes for the USA. A rookie officer in Rampart would have seen and done more than a 20 yr veteran of most U.S police depts.

As for the example of the UK being so great, if that is correct, why are you a cop in the US? I know a few ex-Pommie coppers who now work as officers in the US but don't know a single American officer who went to the UK to be a cop. English police forces from my contacts, are over-politicized, under-resourced, underpaid, and extremely politically correct. They have too much paperwork, not enough equipment and are excessively scrutinized by their "bosses." The weather sucks and the courts don't support them either.
    You think the copper on the beat in Brixton give a frog's fat *** about DNA or fingerprints? They are more concerned that there isn't any backup available.

The initial question is, I'm sad to say, dumb. Which country has the best police force? Puh lease. There are not that many nations which have only one police force so is the question asking, "which of the over 20,000 US depts is the best, then compare that dept to international agencies?" Dumb. The comment that the USA has the bravest cops is insane given that officers in South Africa are dying in their hundreds every yr. These guys wear 30 lb body armor to work while hundreds of thousands of US cops on thousands of depts don't even wear it.

Personally, I don't think you can beat the resources, money or working conditions of US law enforcement. And that's after 13 yrs in 3 countries.
    It is not the critic who counts...

IrishCop
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    Well you're going to find I don't particularly care! The only country I intend to police in is the United States. Just how it is so why even worry about it?
    Yeah, that's fair enough Welpe, but contrary to what you have been led to believe, let's pretend for one moment that there is in fact life outside of the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly
    Ireland, but that was easy; Ireland has the best of everything.
    My word Kelly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last