Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Noise complaint, but what if i never answer the door?

Last night a buddy of mine and I were playing pool and listening to some musice, apparently too loud. I notice a light in my eyes and look out to see a police officer shining me with his mag-light. I go downstairs and he told me that the music was way to loud and if they had to come back tonight that i'd be fined $250 for each officer that responds to the complaint. After I go back inside, my buddy tells me that if i don't answer the door then they can't give me a warning or a ticket. Is that true, if someone has the their stereo up way too loud at 12am and the cops show up and if the person doesn't answer the door can you guys do anything about it? Don't get me wrong here, i'm answering the door regardless cause i'm not looking to **** off my neighbors and i'm going to be applying for a PD in about a year or two.

Tell your buddy he's full of it.

The old "They can't fine me if they can't find me!" crap is one of the oldest lines in the book. There's more than one way to skin a cat, ya know. Citations can be mailed; so can a summons. Or it can simply be served at a later date/time. Besides, if you already know you were in the wrong, (and by posting here, it looks like you were man enough to admit you were ) then simply turn down your music. Then the point will be moot.

Forum Member
    Yes, there are things we can do.

Forum Member

Similar thing happened when I was on a ridealong once. I was riding in a city just outside our state capital(Saint Paul) when they got a loud music complaint. The officer knocked on the door and the people wouldn't answer. He had dispatch call inside and the people answered and said he couldn't do anything. The officer told dispatch they had 5minutes to answer or all cars in the street would be towed(after 2am in winter you can be fined/towed for parking on the streets...due to snow conditions and plows and such). They don't answer. The tow company comes out with 4 trucks and tows 8 or 9 vehicles. The kids inside the upper level start peeking their heads out the window shouting "hey piggy piggy...cant come in...not by the hair on my chinny chin chin" and the sergeant noticed one was underage, drunk, etc.

The sergeant called for an officer to bring a school bus up, and they ended up getting a warrant to go inside. They arrested 34 people(various charges) and shipped them out on a bus, all because they wouldn't answer the door on a noise complaint. WOW...exciting night. But like they have said, they can do many things in that situation.

Ugly big green ogre
    The 250.00 fine for each cop was a load BUt we could mail a citation and IF you failed to respond, BAM maybe a warrant for you...Plus we could keep an eye out for you and your buddies when you leave at 230 in the am from the bars.
    "I pay your salary" Yeah So, Can I get a freakin raise???

It takes a village, this he knows is true

Forum Member

Ok i hear this all day in the academy. Lets just leave it at minor misdemeanor and a citation. Im not gonna go into who can go into what houses and when... Im too tired LOL

Grrrrrrr...
    Years and years ago, a friend of mine had a house in an industrial area, and we'd have all kinds of loud parties until ridiculous o'clock. One time, the Sheriffs showed up... I remember someone yelling "The cops are here!" We locked the doors, turned off the lights, and sat in the dark giggling. The deputies were walking around the house, trying to shine their flashlights through the blinds, yelling "We know you're in there! We know all these cars are here for this house!" (the front and back yard was full of cars, and there were cars up and down the street ) We just sat there. After five or ten minutes, they gave up and went away.

So, if they're there on a noise complaint, and don't see probable cause for anything else, no, there isn't anything they can do. But that doesn't mean they can't find 1000 other ways to get you. Heck, maybe an officer will smell smoke, or hear what could be someone being restrained, and boot the door down. Maybe they start running tags to see if they can turn up anything. I think the easiest thing to do is just turn the music down and apologize... if the cops are there, it isn't because they hate music and viciously search it out... it's because you woke some poor SOB up who needs to get up for work at 5AM.

No Longer Active

Summons by mail would be arriving shortly. Better you answered the door and learned the possible fine etc.

Forum Member
    If the music is turned way up and they won't come to the door, there's always the old "pull the meter and hope that nobody inside is on life support" tactic, followed up by the "snag them when they come outside all ****ed off about it and take them to jail" maneuver. It's a helluva lot of trouble for a little ol' noise complaint, for everyone involved.

Brian

Talking

I'm not saying that what I did in the following was right, but...

An idiot was playing his music so loud that it was vibrating the walls of his duplex neighbor, who called in a complaint against him. It was a blistering hot day and he refused to answer his door for me, so I turned off his electricity, so his air conditioner immediately stopped, along with his loud music. Then I waited in my air conditioned car for about 10 minutes and he finally came out the front door with a royally ****ed-off look on his face. If looks could kill, then I'd be dead.

Mission accomplished.

Battering Ram of Justice
    Once in awhile, I'll get someone who doesn't open the door. If they turn down the music, then who cares if they open the door? I just leave. Problem solved.

If the music is still cranked and is causing a disturbance in the neighborhood at an unreasonable hour, I can take whatever steps are necessary (including smashing down the door) to restore order.

And, you can bet your *** that EVERYONE inside the residence is going to jail if I have to do that.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Kickin' back in Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Yxboom
    I'm not saying that what I did in the following was right, but...

An idiot was playing his music so loud that it was vibrating the walls of his duplex neighbor, who called in a complaint against him. It was a blistering hot day and he refused to answer his door for me, so I turned off his electricity, so his air conditioner immediately stopped, along with his loud music. Then I waited in my air conditioned car for about 10 minutes and he finally came out the front door with a royally ****ed-off look on his face. If looks could kill, then I'd be dead.

Mission accomplished.
    Stole my thunder there, but done it dozens of times in the 80's. Always knew they were home, though.

There was this one time I locked a guy up from a complaint (he had warrants)and as I was taking him out, he bumped into his full beer, which was setting on his brand new 32 inch tv. It fell over and spilled into the airvents. I was too late to stop it, and he was too drunk to notice, so I never mentioned it... OOps. I guess he figured it out after he bonded out 2 days later and wanted to watch "Wrastlin'.

Nowadays around here they'd complain, and I'd get suspended for improperly handling electricity, or performing an unwarranted seizure, or some other penne ante offense.

I think at this point I would suggest the complainant do it, it I could do it anonymously.
    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

No Longer Active

Basically just don't get the reputation of being a little jerk with the local cops and open the door & turn down the music. You may not get in trouible by not opening the door but the next time you get pulled over etc the outcome may not be so favorable.

In memory of Delta784
    The people who play games over minor stuff like this are the ones that get hammered. Its not problem to get a warrant, come back & serve it a dinner time a few days later. Nothing like a night in jail to prove to the cops you can play games with them. On the other hand, if you open the door, are polite & tone down the noise, you will not have anything to deal with later. I'm just not sure if some punk from the OC is smart enough to figure all this out.
    Last edited by Stan Switek; 03-19-2005 at 11:09 AM.

Emotionally Fragile
    Damn...Stan just threw the gauntlet down!
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Hockey Goon

You could always kick in the door and call it a health and welfare check. You just need to tap into your report writing skills. Loud music, no one answering the door, someone may be hurt or in trouble, down the door goes. Even if you don't file any charges, they're going to have to replace that door jam, the deadbolt, door hinges, etc.
    Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
    --------------------
    This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Delta784
    ... I can take whatever steps are necessary (including smashing down the door) to restore order.

And, you can bet your *** that EVERYONE inside the residence is going to jail if I have to do that.

I would love to see the looks on the kids faces as Delta kicks in the door...LOL

Battering Ram of Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG
    I would love to see the looks on the kids faces as Delta kicks in the door...LOL
    I've only had to do it once, and one of the stoners inside started yelling "Hey man, my f%$*&%$ door!" as the jam started to splinter.

Brian

Lightbulb

I've only had to do it once, and one of the stoners inside started yelling "Hey man, my f%$*&%$ door!" as the jam started to splinter.
    U da man!!! Too funny!!!

In memory of Delta784
    One of the great joys in police work is seeing the look on a stoners face as their front door cartwheels through the living room & clocks one of their buddies. It is so easily prevented but when they want to play, I'm always happy to play the game.

Forum Member
    One time in college at a party, the cops were called for a noise complaint. The police knocked on the door, which was locked by the girl who lived there. The police ordered her to open the door and her response was "you can't come in, I know my rights." Well, down came the door. Party busted, MIP's handed out. Pretty funny because if she had just opened the door, everyone probably would have just been warned, and the cops would be on their way, but her misinterpretation of the constitiution ended up costing her a lot of money and embarrasment. My buddies and I still laugh about that one. "YOU can't come in here, I know my rights." "Oh yeah??" Classic.

Forum Member

nothing to see here
    Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006 at 04:18 PM.

Forum Member
    We had a call once at one of our local scumbag motels for a noise complaint at about 4am. As soon as we pull into the parking lot I can hear, so appropriately, Guns N' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" blarring as loud as can be coming from one of the upstairs rooms. My partner and I went up and banged on the door to no avail so we just got the manager to come open up the door for us. The guy was so passed out we had to literally pick him up and drop him several times for him to wake up. When he finally came too he thought about throwing a punch at my partner. I had to turn away to hide the laughter when my partner gave his best Muhammed Ali fighting stance and said "c'mon I'll knock you the f$*# out" to mock the guy.

Gang Tactic Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Joebob
    One time in college at a party, the cops were called for a noise complaint. The police knocked on the door, which was locked by the girl who lived there. The police ordered her to open the door and her response was "you can't come in, I know my rights."
    Explain to me the legal justification for breaking down the door on a noise complaint? Sounds like the PD was overstepping their bounds.

The majority of cops get way too wound up over these BS calls. It's kinda like cops I know who get upset when someone flips them off or calls them a pig. Let it sliiiiiide.

Knock on the door. If they don't turn it down, make a mental note and go 10-8. Like what was mentioned earlier, if they turn down the music and don't answer the door, the problem is solved.

Someone also mentioned the apartment complex. If they don't answer the door, send a copy of the report to the landlord. Unless the landlord or management company is a scumbag (and we have a few), a 5-day eviction notice is generally served.

Battering Ram of Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerland
    Knock on the door. If they don't turn it down, make a mental note and go 10-8.
    What are the neighbors supposed to do, just put up with blaring music all night? The one time I did take down the door, a few of the neighbors were actually applauding when I hauled the people out in handcuffs.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last