1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4

    Ouestion on letting your car idle

    A friend of mine up in Oregon parked his car in his driveway and left his car running while he ran in to make a sandwich so he could get back to work..
    I guess he was in a rush..when he got back out 15 minutes later there was a ticket on his car for leaving his engine running..on the ticket the officer stated he was parked on public property which is false..
    I've never heard of a law like this..is this for real??
    Millions of Americans warm up their engines in the morning before going to work if it's cold outside and run back into the house..
    thanks for you input..
    BTR

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    SIGman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    487
    If he was parked in HIS driveway which HE, not the city, county, state, or feds own, then I don't see how he could be ticketed. However, I was not there, so I cannot say for sure why he was ticketed. That was not the best idea for him to leave his car idling, though. Its not very good for the engine unless it is modified (like the CV police package) to be able to idle for long periods of time.
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago Suburb, IL
    Posts
    263
    All of what SIGman1 said above.^ I would just add I hope he locked his car when it was in his driveway becauseI have gotten calls about people who do that only to see their expensive car driving away from them as they run back outside.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    .

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago Suburb, IL
    Posts
    263
    Edit: Sorry Duplicate Post.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    .

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    SIGman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyF
    All of what SIGman1 said above.^ I would just add I hope he locked his car when it was in his driveway becauseI have gotten calls about people who do that only to see their expensive car driving away from them as they run back outside.
    God bless the north shore, eh?
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    ArcticCat20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    508
    Door locked or not, it is extremely careless to leave a running car unattended. It doesn't take too much time to pop a lock, hop in, and drive away. Or is that not common sense?

  7. #7
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    5,494
    Leaving a car running unattended locked or not gets a ticket here. Teens can open a car in a second and so what if the break a window to joy ride a couple blocks.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4
    thanks for the input..
    I lived in a bad neighbor for 20 years but on those cold winter mornings I'd start the car and run in the house for 10 minutes..I guess I was lucky but then again you would have to be nuts to steal my old beatup truck..not everyone can afford a lexus..
    other then that you would have to be a complete idiot to leave your car running while you run into the store or whatever..it's just common sence so why the law??
    I was just wondering why Oregon would have a law like that..my guess is it has to do with conservation and smog emmisions..so many new minor laws go into effect each year it's almost impossible to keep up with..

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Posts
    637
    Better guess again. It has been a law since before I started policing which was before any of this enviromential stuff was around. It is because of thief or a vehicle accidentally falling into gear that it is illegal. Not sure if they can enforce that on private property though unless the law specifically says so.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    KBeecher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    270
    City I worked for had local ordinance that required you to remove the key to any car that was parked and unattended. So, I guess if your car did not need keys to run you could very well remove keys and leave running.

    Around here its nice but really stupid to leave car running, close enough to border to let it disappear quickly.

  11. #11
    CCWriting Implements 24/7
    ProWriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,656
    In NYC, it's a violation to let your car idle more than three minutes even when you're INSIDE the car, let alone when it's unoccupied. On the other hand, it's not something that's enforced very often at all.

    I have a Multi-Lock that clips around my stick shift the way The Club locks the steering wheel. My keys come apart so that I can just unclip everything (like the Multi-Lock key) but the ignition key. I don't worry about getting a summons for it, but I always engage the Multi-Lock and unclip my keys, even if I'm just walking around the car to let someone out the other side, because it only takes a second to sprint across a street and jump into an idling car, if that's what someone's looking to do.
    No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

  12. #12
    Squirrely Wrath
    7mmMag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    463
    We have a city ordinance regarding that very thing, however we DO NOT enforce it. We have plenty of silly ordinances on the books, but in this area of cold weather/frost/snow/sleet, we do not enforce it, per the Chief.
    "I only had a couple!"

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago Suburb, IL
    Posts
    263
    SIGman 1------LMAO! Yes indeed I love the North Shore!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    .

  14. #14
    No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    5,494
    You should see the idiots we have that start their car IN THE GARAGE and just open the door thinking this will be okay. DEATH could happen in a few minutes from the carbon monoxide entering the house

  15. #15
    The Patron Queen
    Quopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    4,936
    In CO the cities decide if they want a running car to be on the city ordinance vs. state law. Most cities do make it a law just becaue of the # of stolen cars.

    However, let me give you another reason why you should not do this! Once in a while I will admit to being an idiot and this is one of those times! Pulling out of my driveway a few weeks ago, I noticed that I could not see my dogs in their kennel. Since my hubby was out of town I thought crap I better check since I will be gone for 10 hours. So I stop the Burb, leave it running, on my driveway which is about a 6% grade or so, and put on the e-brake, stick shift so it was in neutral...are you predicitng what is going to happen? Yep - I walk about 20 feett away, hear a loud POP and there goes my Burb down the driveway, crosses the rural country road, goes into the neighbors horse property (thank God the horse ran like hell), still going down hill, it turned left, missed her house, went through 3 of her fences, 2 of the other neighbors fences, and through the OTHER neighbors horse panels before it decided to stop - because the land started going up hill! Didn't hit a single damn building, and I don't know how - other than the graces of God!

    I am staring at it the whole time FREAKING out!!! Had to call the "Standby Husband" (neighbor) to help me re-string electrical fence and crap at 6:00am on a Saturday!!

    This is why I WILL NEVER leave a vehicle running again - ANYWHERE!!!!!
    When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

  16. #16
    CCWriting Implements 24/7
    ProWriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,656
    ...but if the cable just chose that time to snap, then that simply might/could/probably would have happened the next time you parked on any hill, regardless of whether the engine was running at the time...or am I missing something? ...as opposed to the incidents you hear once in a while about automatic transmission cars popping into Drive while idling in Park, WITHOUT the emergency brake on...
    No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

  17. #17
    Monkey Chaser

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Quopper
    In CO the cities decide if they want a running car to be on the city ordinance vs. state law. Most cities do make it a law just becaue of the # of stolen cars.

    However, let me give you another reason why you should not do this! Once in a while I will admit to being an idiot and this is one of those times! Pulling out of my driveway a few weeks ago, I noticed that I could not see my dogs in their kennel. Since my hubby was out of town I thought crap I better check since I will be gone for 10 hours. So I stop the Burb, leave it running, on my driveway which is about a 6% grade or so, and put on the e-brake, stick shift so it was in neutral...are you predicitng what is going to happen? Yep - I walk about 20 feett away, hear a loud POP and there goes my Burb down the driveway, crosses the rural country road, goes into the neighbors horse property (thank God the horse ran like hell), still going down hill, it turned left, missed her house, went through 3 of her fences, 2 of the other neighbors fences, and through the OTHER neighbors horse panels before it decided to stop - because the land started going up hill! Didn't hit a single damn building, and I don't know how - other than the graces of God!

    I am staring at it the whole time FREAKING out!!! Had to call the "Standby Husband" (neighbor) to help me re-string electrical fence and crap at 6:00am on a Saturday!!

    This is why I WILL NEVER leave a vehicle running again - ANYWHERE!!!!!
    Heh, my Bronco ran over my foot a month or so back when I jumped out to check something at the side of the road.

    The shifter has a little play in it and I hadn't got it all the way in "park" before jumping out.

    I'm sure I was quite a sight, running alongside trying to climb back in, as it leisurely meandered it's way back toward the phone pole behind me. I finally belly flopped across the seat with my legs in the air, grabbed the shifter... "THUD"

    I got lucky though- it was going slow enough, that it just rubbed some dust off the spare tire.

    -Sarge
    "He's not a known offender Captain... he's not even a known species..!"

  18. #18
    The Patron Queen
    Quopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    4,936
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWriter
    ...but if the cable just chose that time to snap, then that simply might/could/probably would have happened the next time you parked on any hill, regardless of whether the engine was running at the time...or am I missing something? ...as opposed to the incidents you hear once in a while about automatic transmission cars popping into Drive while idling in Park, WITHOUT the emergency brake on...
    The good news for me - but could be bad for some - is with the engine running the power steering pump works - therefore I got lucky by it turning with the curvature of the land - however that could also be a very bad thing depending on where the land takes you!
    When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

  19. #19
    The Patron Queen
    Quopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    4,936
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtFang
    I got lucky though- it was going slow enough, that it just rubbed some dust off the spare tire.

    -Sarge
    Yeah I put a few "beauty" marks down the body line on the passenger side, and scuffed the front bumper a bit - I guess that is what happens when you hit horse panels!
    When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    HartsvilleSC
    Posts
    58
    It's also the law in SC.

    When some one calls and reports their car stolen because they left the key in it, we make their day a little worse by giving them a ticket for unattended vehicle.

    It never would have happened if they would have taken that extra second or so.

  21. #21
    You are next...
    bigcop97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerdogg
    It's also the law in SC.

    When some one calls and reports their car stolen because they left the key in it, we make their day a little worse by giving them a ticket for unattended vehicle.

    It never would have happened if they would have taken that extra second or so.
    Thats Harsh... But Funny

  22. #22
    Rabbit

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    393
    it is city ordinance in one of the cities in my jurisdiction that you cannot leave your car running unattended. this is because there is a high auto theft rate. this is the same city that has a gang injunction because of all the problems...

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    232
    Guy must have been good being able to spot a car running in a driveway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register