Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jnhdrac

Thread: Badge History/Meaning

Forum Member

Badge History/Meaning

I am looking for information concerning the various meanings behind badge styles. I have contacted several Badge makers and have not got much of a response. I want to include this on our department website. For example, The meaning of the seven point star, laurel wreath, Oval shield vs. standard shield, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not quite sure how to insert an image, but if you have information and would like to see the design of our badge, check out the Entemann-Rovin Co.;Oval Badges, Page 3 Style F 184-785 or F 186-786. http://www.entenmann-rovin.com/

Thanks in Advance,
    R. Hooper
    rwh2@bresnan.net

I think you may be able to go to the department's website and get that information. I know on the Fort Worth PD website they explain the significance of the panther on top of the badge. There are probably some interesting stories behind a lot of them.

Forum Member
    The RCMP Regular Member (Commissioned Officer, NCO, Constable and Special Constable) identity "badge" is a gold shield with our regimental number engraved on it, as well as having "RCMP", "GRC" and "POLICE" marked on it in gold and blue enamel. In the centre is our Force's badge, which consists of:
    - on the top, the Queen's crown: as we were awarded, in 1905, the right to use the prefix "Royal" in our Force's name, due to the King's high regard for our work;
    - under the crown, a scroll with "Canada";
    - under the scroll, a vertical oval, surrounded by 12 maple leaves: representing our 10 Provinces and 2 Arctic Territories (the design has not been changed since the 3rd Territory was created a few years ago);
    - the border of the oval contains our Force's motto, "Maintiens le droit": French for "Maintain the Right", or "Maintain the Law", since French is one of Canada's two official languages;
    - within the oval is a bison head: represents the Native/First Nations peoples, the first inhabitants of Canada, particularly in the Western area of Canada, which was where our Force began;
    - under the oval and leaves, a scroll with "Royal Canadian Mounted Police".

This badge is on all of our signs, correspondence and transport. We were originally known, in 1873, as the North West Mounted Police; in 1905, we became the Royal North West Mounted Police; in 1920, after absorbing another Federal policing/security service, and gaining Canada-wide jurisdiction, we became the RCMP.

We perform duties somewhat similar in scope to that of the USA's FBI, Secret Service, ATF, DEA and TSA. Pursuant to contracts between our Federal Government and all Provincial Governments (other than Ontario and Quebec), we are the Provincial Police in those Provinces, performing duties similar to most USA State Police/Patrols and County Sheriff Offices. Pursuant to contracts, we further provide Municipal Police services to many towns and cities in the Provinces in which we are the Provincial Police.

The RCMP also provides basic and advanced training courses to other Canadian and Foreign Police and other Law Enforcement Agencies, as well as representing Canada at INTERPOL, liaising with other Police Services in foreign countries around the world, and providing training, oversight, observer and peace keeping and monitoring to other countries as requested by those countries and authorized by the Canadian Federal Government.
    1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29: RCMP RM 32936. Just callin' 'em as I sees 'em! PM full - e-mail me. House paid, best health of my life, 33+ years married to the same hot woman, triple-dipping, lots of grand-kids, long dark luxurious hair - yep, retired is EXCELLENT!

Forum Member
    I only know the meaning behind the star, as that is the primary badge used by my department and most departments in my area.

Back in the days of the shire-reeve (the precurser to the modern sheriff) in England, the shire-reeve and his hundreds (deputies) wore a plate in the shape of a five, six, or seven point star made of brass, metal, or any other material that could be highly polished and visible by moonlight. This allowed them to identify each other, and over time, they began to put markings and insignias on the plates. This developed into common practice, and when the first formal, paid, and uniformed police department was established in New York in the 1850s, they wore badges, as they became to be called.

Before NYPD, the Pinkertons had badges, but they were in the form of shields, not stars.

Hope this helps a little bit.
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Forum Member

Absolutely no meaning in our badges at my old Dept. The only ones that have chaged at all were the Sgt on up. All the others have since the beginnig been the plain shield in silver with the number in the middle and POLICE on the top and the city name on the bottom. Very plain and cheap looking. Almost look and feel like they were stamped steel. Now the SGT on up were gold with the rank on top in blue, the state seal and the name of the city and state on it and were of the eagle shield type.

Forum Member

Charlotte_mecklenburg's badge is shaped like a hornet's nest. The story goes that Cornwallis described Mecklenburg County as a "hornet's nest of rebelion" during the Revolutionary War, and the hornet's nest has stuck as a symbol of the area.
    Cphill83 likes this.

Ugly big green ogre
    Gotta go see and reads about the City of Pittsburgh badges. They have a nice article on the website, either www.cityofpittsburgh.net or just search for Pittsburgh Police. They have a link in a badge at the top of each diff. page. Real nice history about them dating back a few hundred years.
    Yeah I just checked, its cityofpittsurgh.net and click on police.
    Peace

Soul Surfer
    Quote Originally Posted by easy-e1
    Gotta go see and reads about the City of Pittsburgh badges. They have a nice article on the website, either www.cityofpittsburgh.net or just search for Pittsburgh Police. They have a link in a badge at the top of each diff. page. Real nice history about them dating back a few hundred years.
    Yeah I just checked, its cityofpittsurgh.net and click on police.
    Peace
    You beat me to it easy lol
    Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty thigns

Ugly big green ogre
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfin_Cop
    You beat me to it easy lol
    Sorry, I feel good that I beat someone to something for once
    I usually am left behind.
    Another snow storm today peoples, be careful on the roads.

On the level...
    The history of the NYPD badge is very interesting...what I enjoy most about the history is that the city re-issues badges (unless retired due to KIA or lost). As a rookie you might get a 100 year old badge! The city re-finishes the badges and re-coats them as well...as a result the older badges are much heavier than the new ones.