Forum Member

Knife laws in Massachusetts

I live in Massachusetts and I am having a hard time figuring out what is legal and what isn't.

I like to carry around a folder on my belt, but I am not 100% sure of its legality

Its a regular Buck folding knife that locks open. The blade is 2 3/4" long.

Is it better to carry it on my belt or in my pocket? Do I need some kind of permit/license?

Also, I am planning to take a trip cross country and want to know if its ok to take it through different states. I would mostly be carrying it in some luggage on my bike and not on my person.

Thanks for any help guys
    -Chris

No, the knife you describe does not require any type of permit in Mass. It is not unlawful to carry unless you are committing a breach of the peace, have any outstanding arrest warrants or (obviously) using it to commit a crime.

You can be arrested and charged with a 5 year Felony for possessing Dirk Knifes, Daggers, Double edged knives, switchblades, stilliettos, spring loaded/ballstic knives; etc.

I am uncertain of the "knife laws" in other states.
    Last edited by BRICKCOP; 02-10-2005 at 10:37 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Forum Member
    Thanks your help, Brick

I also have a larger Estwing knife that has a fixed blade and is about 4"-5" long. Any problems with that?
    -Chris

Battering Ram of Justice Delta784's Avatar
    Originally posted by Civilian Rider
    I also have a larger Estwing knife that has a fixed blade and is about 4"-5" long. Any problems with that?
    As long as the blade is not double-edged, there is no problem with that.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Forum Member
    Just a question about the newest trend in knives , spring assist IE Sog flash II , kershaw leek etc etc . Are they legal for normal carry does the sporing assist pose any legal concerns
    Sure therapy help but screaming obscinities is cheaper

Forum Member
    If the spring assist opens the knife when the button is pressed, Just leave it at home.
    My name is Mr. Officer, My special friends can call me Mr.Officer,Sir.

Battering Ram of Justice Delta784's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak
    Just a question about the newest trend in knives , spring assist IE Sog flash II , kershaw leek etc etc . Are they legal for normal carry does the sporing assist pose any legal concerns
    Any type of knife with a spring assist would be illegal in Massachusetts.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Forum Member
    And strolling to the corner store with a machete strapped to tour belt is not advisable.
    My name is Mr. Officer, My special friends can call me Mr.Officer,Sir.

Unless it falls under one of the aforementioned circumstances in my 2/10 reply; the mere possession of a Machete is not unlawful under MGL.

But you're right, I would not recommend carrying one around town.
    Last edited by BRICKCOP; 02-13-2005 at 01:31 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by k12kop
    If the spring assist opens the knife when the button is pressed, Just leave it at home.
    The spring assist knives just assist the blade once you open it about a quarter of the way , there is no button o push , they look like a normal easyopen knife with a stud for the thumb for grip , but once its about half open the spring opens it the rest of the way .
    Sure therapy help but screaming obscinities is cheaper