Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

Navy Seals or Ranger workout?

ANyone buy these dvds? What are there workouts routines? Thanks

let me get 1 rib

lol......you don't want to do that bro. training to become one of those guys is a lot more mind then body. if they made it far enough to be considered, then you can bet that physically they're studs already. the most important aspect of that type of training is that of mind over matter. making sound decisions when your body is throwing in the towel - that's what that training is all about. another sick group are the airforce para-rescue guys. that training is just vicious.

Forum Member

A good friend of mine is a Ranger... been out for a couple years now. The only routine he does now are 12 ounce curls....

Forum Member

My friends brother is a Pararescue. In their basic training, when you throw up, you do it into your shirt(which is tucked in) and it stays in there until the end of the day

Forum Member

I got the Navy Seal Workout online from bodybuilding.com.

I tried the first few weeks of the program last summer. It's very challenging. I couldn't do the swimming portion though. But it's a lot of running. They use basic bodyweight exercises: push-ups, situps, pullups,dips and run. They also swim as well. It will definetly make a change in your endurance and strength. The first couple of weeks I did. I could see a change. The first two weeks are the same, then the sets & reps and running increase. It's a good overall workout to condition yourself.
    Your life is an open book, what message are you giving the readers.

Forum Member

Here's a wake up call. I am 57 years old and for the past few years I have been doing aerobic type exercises because of heart ailment. Well, after a training class on PPCT I decided I needed to do some strength training. So I plop down to knock out a few pushups and lo and behold I could not do one single pushup. I am in the gym at least four days per week now and I'm working on it. So guys, don't sit around too long. It will take it's toll on you.

Forum Member

I have been doing the Navy SEAL workout for almost a year now. I find it to be 10X better than weights. I didn't buy the DVD, but I bought the book by Mark De Lisle. GREAT BOOK. I recommend it to anyone.

It's difficult to do the swimming portion for lack of a pool, but everything else is easy because you don't have to go to a gym (just stay at your house).

NCHawk56

Pt

Military PT is generally all the same, with some exceptions. The basic idea is to mix strength building with endurance exercises. The Army, Navy, Marines, and Air Force all conduct similar PT sessions. The staples of their sessions are Push ups, sit-ups, a run, and pull ups. Do a web search for "max your APFT." The idea is to do it consistantly.

Stay Safe!!!

NCHawk56
    Last edited by NCHawk56; 02-11-2005 at 01:01 PM.

Aint so funny meow is it?

Seal Workout

I think I am going to start the Seal workout on Monday, do you have any advice on something to substitute in for the swimming?

Forum Member

I wish I could help u out Titan, but I really don't know. I never did the swimming portion, but I still am seeing results. To be honest, my muscles are too tired to workout out for over 2 hours one day, then go swimming the next. I found the non-swimming resistance portion is more than enough

Yeah I agree I am in my third week on it and it is a great workout without any swimming. I do sometimes run on days off or at least play an hour of basketball to make up for the swimming. In another month I should look like a machine....I hope. Great stuff so far though!
    "No ma'am I'm not racist; I can assure you that I hate everyone equally"

Forum Member

I am starting this SEAL BUD/S Catagory 1 training next monday. It was given to me by a Trooper to get me ready for when they try to kill me in the academy. When do you guys do your weight training mixed into all this??

Go Army!
    I am following this program and there is not mention of weight training. Trust me, after their workout, you should be at muscle failure anyhow. The program I am following tells you this is not going to make you look like "Arnold." It will, however, get you into top physical shape. I had to modify the program a little. I don't like the fact of working out Mon-Fri, and resting Sat-Sun. Maybe I'm wrong, but m body needs the rest an extra day. I am still feeling great afterwards and feel like I am gaining in every area. I was usrprised to see how much they emphasize proper form and STRETCHING. They would rather you do one correct push up, then 20 bad form ones... Anyhow, good luck to you and stick with it. Here is a link to the program I am involved with....

http://www.masterlevelfitness.com/

Thanks for all the info about these workouts. I could not run much more than a mile - mile 1/2 a few months ago and i am running my 1.5 miles at 10:30 or less now and just ran a 5k this weekend in 23:40. So far this workout has gotten me in great shape and I hope to run my second 5k this summer and hopefully drop closer to 20 minutes. But so far it has made a huge change in my fitness level!

Forum Member

So should I not go to the gym while doing this program? I'm just worried about loosing muscle mass. I typically weight train at the gym 4 days a week, but I guess this SEAL workout will leave me with no strength left to go to the gym anyways. Running and stamina is what i need to work on most and thats what this program focuses on. I better go re-commission my bicycle that I haven't used in years since I won't be able to do the swimming part.

Also, I don't have the stretching part of the program. Should I just do basic stretches or does it call for specific ones?

This is the first workout that I have ever done without seriously lifting weights and I have not loss any muscle. Doing the pull-ups and 150-175 push-ups every other day does a good job of keeping you pretty strong. I do add in dips, curls and a shoulder rutine to this, but no real need to do back or chest. I do not do much with legs mainly because of time, but the runningt keeps them lean and half-way strong.

Forum Member

I just don't want to wither away.. i'm only 5'8" but i am 185lbs. Stamina and running are most important for the academy I imagine so I will just drop most of my weight routine and do this program. I might get to the gym on the weekends at least to do some weights just to maintain.

Forum Member

If you eat correctly you should burn a lot of fat and maintain your muscle. Since it involves a lot of running. Maybe you can increase your food intake a little to fuel the running. If you eat enough you shouldn't loose muscle. Football players do a lot a cardio, running and so forth. They still maintain their size because they eat good while still increasing their endurance.

krj
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronKing
    If you eat correctly you should burn a lot of fat and maintain your muscle. If you eat enough you shouldn't loose muscle
    You can't increase (or even maintain) muscle mass simply by eating. Muscle is built through physical activity. Food is just the primary fuel that gives you the energy to work out.

Forum Member

My agency has a full time fitness person who investigates all the different fitness programs. He has been working out for 12 years and is in incredible shape. He is a fast runner and very strong. Crossfit is the system to use.

A brazilian jiu jitsu instructor flew in from brazil to learn the system.

Crossfit prepares you for an intense two minute fight.

The site has free workouts.

http://crossfit.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by krj
    You can't increase (or even maintain) muscle mass simply by eating. Muscle is built through physical activity. Food is just the primary fuel that gives you the energy to work out.

Thank you for the enlightenment. Please read all of the posts before you respond to one. It's a conversation going on. I was responding to EMcNeice. I was talking about maintaining muscle while doing the Navy Seal workout(a STRENGTH and endurance program). This workout consist of a lot of running. When you run a lot you can loose muscle mass if you don't consume enough calories to fuel the running and strength training. To maintain or increase muscle you must consume enough for your weight or more calories to increase than what you burn up daily.Running burns a lot of calories. EMcNeice was used to lifting weights only. The program will have you running almost everyday as it increases it starts out with 2 days, I did the first four weeks of the program already. My point was that you can contain your muscle while doing this program by simply eating more to fuel the running. Have you notice someone that just runs a lot only. They are usually scronny, without eating enough and strength training. EMcNeice will be strength training but it will be bodyweight exercises only. You do need food to maintain or increase muscle,you train without eating for 2 months then post your pic on the forum to prove my point. Let us see your results. I never said just eating alone you can be strong without strength training.

Forum Member

Does anyone also incorportate a day or two of weight training with this program?

krj
    Forum Member

Ironking, a few thoughts on what you have written:

IRONKING:
    Have you notice someone that just runs a lot only. They are usually scronny, without eating enough and strength training.

Most runners eat plenty - if they run any distance at all they need carbohydrates (primarily) to provide them with the glycogen (energy) stores necessary to fuel those runs.

Very serious long-distance runners tend to have a smaller build and a more angular musculature than do runners of other distances (or those who use running as only one part of a more cross-training type of workout).

But long-distance runners look the way they do for many reasons that are completely unrelated to their diet (which is usually ample) or their strength training regimen (which is usually a program designed specifically to increase their running efficiency) . These reasons include primarily their weekly mileage (up to 100 miles a week or more) and genetics.

IRONKING:
    This workout consists of a lot of running. When you run a lot you lose muscle mass if you don't consume enough calories to fuel the running and strength training. To maintain or increase muscle you must consume enough for your weight or more calories to increase than what you burn daily.

No matter how physically active you are (or what kinds of activities you do), if you consume more calories on a daily basis than you burn you will gain weight - but that weight gain will be in the form of body FAT.

I am not familiar with the specifics of the SEAL program (although I think that I've picked up the basic concepts behind it after reading these posts).

Assuming that you are eating a balanced diet that includes all major components (large proportion of complex carbohydrates, moderate amount of lean protein, small amount of fat, ample amounts of water) - and unless you are running very often and very long distances in this program - there doesn't need to be major changes to your current diet.

You increase your running efficiency and maintain your current musculature by:

a) running regularly
    b) lifting weights (or other strength training activities) regularly
    c) eating a well-blanced diet (as listed above)
    d) getting enough rest in between workouts

IRONKING:
    My point was that you can contain your muscle while doing this program by simply eating more to fuel the running.

I wasn't trying to bust your balls Ironking - so thanking me for my enlightenment wasn't necessary. I was throwing stuff out like you and everyone else was throwing stuff out. Hopefully some of it is useful to someone. And that - my friend - is MY point.
    Last edited by krj; 03-24-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMcNeice
    Does anyone also incorportate a day or two of weight training with this program?

I personally wouldn't do that. You will be training 3-4 days already in the program alone. You won't get enough rest to grow stronger. You need rest the days. Don't underestimate the program either. If you do everything like they've written you may not feel like weight training in the same week anyway. What you can do and I did this myself. Alternate the weeks, Do one week Navy Seal style and another week lift weights. You can get the best of both worlds. Rotate them. Doesn't hurt to try it. In fact when I would reach a plateau in my weight poundage. I would take a week off and just do bodyweight exercises. That way I was still training but I was also gettting more rest to grow stronger. One thing in training is that you have to experiment for yourself. What works for me, may not work for you. Experiment with the program and see what works. It's a good program to get you ready for the academy. Some academies depend on bodyweight exercises alone anyway. So you may as well get use to them now. Most officers I know said they didn't touch weights in their academy. It was strictly bodyweight training. Some academies do weight training and some don't.

Forum Member

krj, Dont be offended at my comments'

But my comments have been tested and prove by my own methods. I'm not going to argue over whose right and whose wrong. That's why I simply told EMcNeice to experiment and see what works for him. There are a lot of theories out there on training. My comments I have tested and proven for me. For example: I had to eat more to gain weight. It's not all fat either. Yes you will gain fat. But if your diet is right the muscle will outweigh the fat anyway. But all the weight will not be fat if your lifting hard. I have the body to prove it....lol.
    I understand you were just sharing your views...No offense taken...and I apologize if I offended you. Yes the IronKing is big enough to apologize.
    Put a smile on your face!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last