Thread: Florida EOT

Forum Member

reply to Jobs in Florida

I took the out of state EOT class in Sept. I went to Chipola College in Mariana (out in the panhandle). It was far and away the best value I could find. The class was only 40 hours. One day each of first aid, cpr, driving, defensive tactics and shooting. You pay $100 to get your training approved. Once you get the form from FDLE you can take the class. The actual tuition is only $144. Then you pay $100 to the state later on for the certification exam, when you're ready. The area was pretty rural, so food and motel were cheap.

Only potential problems: they dont teach the law. So you have to study on your own. Also Tallahasee is the closet airport and it was very expensive. I flew to Jacksonville and drove 3 hours to Marianna. Overall though, good class and good people.
    Last edited by substation; 01-18-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Pain Distribution Expert
    They must have changed the training - I went to the St. Petersburg Jr. College in early 2001 and it was 120 hours, Monday throgh Saturday on both weeks, and with my agency sponsoring me it was over $800.00. They DID teach FL law while I was there. Did you take the state exam yet?
    If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Forum Member

I took the exam in November and passed with no problems. It was the only class I could find that was less than 80 hours. The next cheapest was about $750. Chipola college was 40 hours mon-fri, 9-5.

swatcop, I applied to Tampa, Jacksonville and will apply to Miami. Any thoughts on any of these places. Having a tough time finding any info on JSO. Looking for a city w/ crime and opportunities to advance. Also a good cost of living (that's why I've held off on Miami).

Getting paid to play!
    sub... JSO requires a 4 year degree
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Forum Member

So the process wasn't to bad at all? Im cerified in Nevada (NV POST) and have been looking at Florida(Flagler County S.O., Bunnell P.D.). I was always told that Florida makes it a pain to cross certify, but from what im reading it didnt sound to bad. Well, any suggestions on where to look into getting this course completed?

Forum Member
    EOT is 120ish hours...

High liability is 48ish hours..

You only need the high liability to take the FL state test, but some dept. will require you to take the EOT two week class after you are hired....I have no idea why, liability I guess.

Go thought the brevard selection center (they are really friendly and work with you), I hear nothing but horror storied from the PASS selection center in St. Pete.

Forum Member

sflcop, I have a 4 year degree. I did JSO internet app. just waiting for their call.

pd821, I cant tell you how easy it was to get this EOT done. Run a google on Chipola college. Under the CJ program there is a number for Paul Dudley. You call him he will tell you what to send him. You will need academy certificate, curriculum/ transcript for your academy, any advanced training certificates, and a college transcript (if any). Cost $100. 40 hour class was $144. Forty hours was enough for me. Two weeks of motel & rental car is expensive. Plus another week of leave and time away from family. They give you a binder containing everything they teach in the recruit academy. I put in a lot of study time, but it was at my convienence. Brought it in on midnights. Paid $100 to take cert. exam in miami 2 months after class. Passed with no problem. Total money spent was about $750 for class and expenses (plane, motel, car).

In my search I talked to St Johns River CC & whatever college is in Daytona Beach. The classes were about 80 hours and $750. After that the prices started rising. PASS seemed like a lot of hours and $$$.

If someone wants to hire me and send me to EOT so be it. That's their dime.