Forum Member

Shin pain from jogging

Whenever I use the treadmill, I get a pain in my left shin area. It's not the bone but just left of it in the muscle area. I'm not really even training very hard either, maybe a mile 4 times a week. I stretch out before and after, but cant seem to shake this pain.
    I'm using basketball shoes instead of running shoes, so I'm sure that might have something to do with it. I'm also overweight, but my knees nor my ankles hurt.

Anyone have a problem similar? What did you do to fix it?

Forum Member

Sounds like shin splints. I use to get that all the time when I started running. Getting a correct pair of shoes might help. Do a search on yahoo on shin splints, there is a ton of info there that can help.

Forum Member

Shin splints are caused by calf muscles that are too tight. Try stretching your calves by standing on the stairs with your toes on the steps and heels off. Drop one heel down toward the step below (keep you other foot horizontal and keep the balls of both feet on the same step) and stretch GENTLY... Icing can help too.. Also try "Spancos" a type of arch support if the stretching doesn't do the trick

No Longer Active

Lately I have been getting a pain in my shin area, only my left shin tho whenever I run.

I put some Bengay on it after I run now and it goes away. Try that.

Forum Member

It sounds to me like shin splints. Those basketball shoes sure aren't helping you. They provide little in the way of arch support like a good running shoe will.

I used to suffer shin splints when running was my only cardiovascular activity. I tried better shoes, stretching, icing -- all under the guidance of a trainer. They always came back. So I switched from running to a stair-stepper. After a few weeks I started getting knee pain. I seem predisposed for repetitive stress injuries.

Now I vary my cardio workout: one day running, one day on the elliptical runner, one day on the stair-stepper, one day on the bike. I also reduced the total time of my cardio workout (I used to spend about 50 minutes doing cardio work) and upped the intensity. It all seems to have worked; no significant pains since I changed things around.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

CCWriting Implements 24/7
    The last time this came up, I suggested that shin splints are often confused with anterior compartment syndrome, which you should consider if the pain is in the muscles on the outside of your shin.Anterior Compartment Syndrome vs Shin Splints
    No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the help, fellas.

Forum Member

Yea, better shoes will make a world of difference

Forum Member

If you can't afford decent shoes, Dr. Scholls makes pretty decent inserts for running that'll help alot with knee and shin pain. Also, a little tiger balm never hurts....come to think of it, a lot of tiger balm doesn't hurt, either.

Forum Member

I used to get shin splints all the time while running. Key is proper stretching. Try sitting on your feet, knees bent, with your toes pointing away from your back and just sit down on your legs...stretches the muscles in the front of your shins. Or any of the other stretching techniques for lower legs.

Also helpful is taking an ace bandage and, not too tightly, wrapping up the areas were the pain is before exercising. This helps with the pain while running.

let me get 1 rib

Invest in good sneakers - check runnersworld.com

Stretching is key. You should stretch before and after but the post workout stretch is most important. The pre-workout stretches should be held for around 12 seconds and the post-workout stretches from 25-30 seconds. After your done with your post-workout stretch - throw an ice pack on your shin for about 20 minutes. Jumping into a hot shower may seem like the way to go right after your stretch but that heat will cause your muscles to swell resulting in more pain to the injured area. Sneakers, Stretching, and Ice are your friends.

18C3V
    Ditto on the stretching, insoles, and shoes. You should replace your running shoes every six months. Don't be cheap, it's your feet and shins. Also since you don't run very much, maybe you're pace is faster then you can handle. Might want to tone it down or run more frequently.

Forum Member
    Be careful stretching before you run, your muscles are cold and a lot more prone to injury. Most distance runners don't stretch before they run. They warm up slowly and let the muscle work their way loose before they start running hard.