Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Where does legal authority originate?

The questor

Where does legal authority originate?

Where does the authority for all level of law enforcement, from the security guard to the federal officer, derive their authority?
    Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

MadMan

From the people.
    mac266 likes this.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

No Longer Active

From the written law that is either legislated or voted into law by the people. Each level of law enforcment gains it's authority from different sources. Municipil from state, federal and local law. Sheriff from State and federal law but they can enforce local law.
    Federal Officers from Federal Law.

Security Guards from company policy that must be in line with State Law. This level has no more authority then an average citizen except on the employers property.

Forum Member

From England we copied most of there laws and the concept of police.
    sgt jon likes this.
    Big O

Forum Member

Municipal police in Oregon used to get their authority from the city, but since they formed state standards, they get it from the state. Same with county sheriffs and deputies.

Obviously feds get theirs from Congress.
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Sleepy
    North Carolina = State

Battering Ram of Justice
    In MA, municipal police get their authority from state law.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Senior Veteran
    The Constitution of the United States of America.

http://www.archives.gov/national_arc...stitution.html
    mac266 likes this.
    Do your best, do what is right, win the fight, go home.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    -whoever the hell said it and however the hell it was said

Billygoats will again rule the world!

http://www.indy.gov/EGOV/IMPD/Pages/home.aspx
    www.humanclock.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/dogs_of_war/900868

Forum Member

Where does legal authority originate.

Our legal authority regardless of jurisdiction flows from the Constitution of the United States,through the Consitution(s) of the several states. Both county and municipal officers derive thier authority from these sources as well. Can a state officer enforce Federal law? In most cases no. Conversely,can a Federal officer enforce state law? Again, the answer is no. Even though the legal authority flows from one basic source,there is a division of powers. As a state officer, I cannot enforce a municipal ordnance,but a city officer can enforce state law within his city limits. There are some variables here, and they occur from state to state. Security guards,in general: A security guard, unless specifically commissioned or authorized, has no more arrest power than that of a private citizen,as that is what they essentially are. More and more, security companies and contractors are un-armed as a result of enormous liability potential.
    Re-Birth likes this.

Forum Member

From where you ask...

Where does the authority for all level of law enforcement, from the security guard to the federal officer, derive their authority?
    Krispy Kreme...

JW

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingsman View Post
    From "Common Law", "Statutory Law from congress", "Case Law from court orders" and "from Regulations of agencies with regulatory authority"

My college degree in Criminal Justice led me to answer this.
    HSI Agent Timeline-

Applied online - March and June 2011 (VRA/Public)
    Test (New Orleans) - June 11, 2011
    Oral Board - Oct 4, 2011
    TO arrived Oct 26, 2011
    e-QIP sent - Oct 28, 2011
    Credit Check pulled Nov 4, 2011
    Medical - Nov 8, 2011
    PPD read and Med packet sent to CHS Nov 10, 2011
    (2/6/2012 BI - EOD clearance granted)
    (Med Cleared on 02/22/2012)

Drug Test - Not taken yet. Maybe exempt for current Fed LEOs

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by FED/guy View Post
    Resurrecting a 9 yr old thread to do so...............
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

I guess they didn't cover the sins of necromancy at his college--epic fail.
    mdrdep and TheTick like this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by just joe View Post
    I guess they didn't cover the sins of necromancy at his college--epic fail.
    That is only in the liberal arts schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by FED/guy View Post
    And after all the preaching on O.com how useless a CJ degree is outside of law enforcement?!?! I have been proven wrong and will be heading back to campus to get mine so I can resurrect ancient threads.

BikeCop501 likes this.
    Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

DENIED!
    Is the op a sovereign citizen?
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Forum Member
    From Our Sovereign Lady the Queen technically.

Opionated
    They asked me to raise my hand, say a bunch of gobblety goop about upholding the constitution of the US and state of NJ. They then gave me a badge, ID and a gun.
    BikeCop501 likes this.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by stormz5192 View Post
    They asked me to raise my hand, say a bunch of gobblety goop about upholding the constitution of the US and state of NJ. They then gave me a badge, ID and a gun.
    Mine was similar, cept Texas. And all I got was a badge... I feel jipped
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormz5192 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeCop501 View Post
    Mine was similar, cept Texas. And all I got was a badge... I feel jipped
    No gun here, just a badge and I had to front a $25 non-refundable deposit.
    Never Squat With Your Spurs On....
    Will Rogers

Forum Member

Heck, I even bought my own badge,both of them actually

Forum Member
    Had to pay 15 cents for my badge pin after taking the oath.
    Last edited by Dinosaur32; 01-02-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Left out most important word, thanks So Fla Cop
    EnWhyPeeDee likes this.

Forum Member
    Yes it was

Forum Member

My 2 cents.... Federal LEO's are very restricted, there specialty, or base is the only thing they can deal with. US marshals don't investigate, FBI don't transport prisoners. Wild life deals with wild life, so on and so on. Their authority comes from a written federal law. On a side note, some federal officer are cross sworn with the local agencies where they work, I hear the Border Patrol in Texas has a lot of this with Sheriff’s, giving them authority to do more. Military Police, can only work on military reservation, but on the reservation, they are pretty much it. There are a level of MP’s that are considered federal agents, but there world is restricted just as all other federal agents to only there specific area. Depending on branch of service, there name will change, CID, NCIS, and OSI. There was a federal court case about 6 or 8 years ago that said MP’s cannot even assist with traffic control for local agencies based on Posse Commutates. This came about in Alabama where MP’s help a Sheriff control a major crime scene.

Next is state, some are only a highway patrol, other states have general LE authority, but again from a written law. CMV state officers can enforce federal law, some states let local agencies perform CMV enforcement, but I think only state officers can enforce level one rules, city and counties can do level two and three.

Next, will be the sheriff, and his deputies (side note, it's a Sheriff's Office, not a department, he's an elected official), 49 states have sheriff's, Alaska is the only one without. A sheriff, in all 49 states get there authority from State Constitution.

Next down the list is a Constable or Marshalls, not all states have them, but they are pretty much same as a Sheriff, only in a township / ward or whatever the state they are in breaks a county into.

Last is police officer (not to be confused with state police), there are some counties that have a county police department across the US (Virginia and Georgia has several), some counties are metro (Charlotte, as a police department, Las Vegas and Jacksonville FL have the Sheriff as the Chief). For the most part Police Officers are only in cities and towns. All Officers get there authority from written law.

Most states have generous Mutual Aid agreements, allowing officers/deputies to cross jurisdictional boundaries. NC says a municipal officer, can go a mile beyond its political boundaries. Some states give all LEO’s state wide jurisdiction regardless of who holds there certification. I believe California and New York do this.

But in general, it does flow down, but only on the granting authority’s governing authority.

There is one unique Agency that I can think of out there, they have many names, but in general, Rail Road Police are granted full/general authority any place their tracks run, and I believe one mile on either side of said tracks. This comes from some old federal laws from back in the Pinkerton days of the old west. They can use, federal, or state laws.

Now the interesting part, as a federal, state, city, or town officer, who gets your authority from written law, a new law, or repelling the current law, can take it away. For a Sheriff, it requires a constitutional change. Something not so easily done.

I’m probably wrong on some.
    Last edited by arcop117; 01-03-2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: add

DENIED!
    US Marshall's absolutely conduct investigations.
    Iowa #1603 likes this.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Forum Member
    US Marshals are the closest to being a national police force. Extensive authority across the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last