Forum Member

Is attempted suicide a crime?

An EMT told me that when he gets a call for a suicide attempt, he can't go inside the home until law enforcement arrives. I asked him why and he said that trying to kill yourself is a crime. Is that true? Does that go on your record even tho you're not arrested? I had never heard anything like that before.

No Longer Active

Used to be here //// Now they get sent to the funny farm for observation of about 3 days or more if Dr warrants it and they have health insurance that will pay.

Battering Ram of Justice
    It's not a crime here per se, but you will be taken into custody and shipped to a mental health facility for evaluation.

EMS workers shouldn't go into an attempted suicide without police because they can frequently turn violent, not because it's illegal.

Forum Member

It's my opinion that someone who is truly suicidal doesn't have to worry about any legal imbroglio concerning their proclivities.
    There are some people so disturbed
    that if they donated their brains to
    science it would set psychiatric
    research back fifty years.

Brian

Lightbulb

It's not a crime here and when we apprehended someone, it isn't considered an arrest. We are simply taking them into protective custody and we release them to the custodial control of a mental health hospital where they are mentally evaluated for up to 72 hours (sometimes longer, if circumstances dictate).

Forum Member

Re: Is attempted suicide a crime?

Originally posted by Trixie
    An EMT told me that when he gets a call for a suicide attempt, he can't go inside the home until law enforcement arrives. I asked him why and he said that trying to kill yourself is a crime. Is that true? Does that go on your record even tho you're not arrested? I had never heard anything like that before.
    our fire rescue also wont go in to assist in a suicide incident until we get there. but its not because there's a crime involved or not. its because they want us to secure the scene before they go in. EMT's arent armed. they need to be sure there's no danger before they walk into the scene.
    "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
    William Shatner

Forum Member
    We send 'em to CPEP(Mental Hospital).

Forum Member

It used to be when the charge "Disorderly Conduct" covered about anything that a cop wanted it to.
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

No Longer Active

IGNORING THE DANGER

Many times calls regarding suicidal people have ended badly for officers with injury or death to leo's because the suicidal person turns a gun on officers "suicide by cop" results.

No Longer Active

Originally posted by Angel
    I think it's stupid to even consider arresting and charging people for dialing up 911 because they have thoughts of killing themselves.

9-11 is for emergencies, aint it? Isn't suicide on the list of emergencies? Why would anybody make somebody elses live more miserable by charging them for having thoughts of wanting to kill themselves?

When somebody has mental problems... Don't arrest them! Get 'em help that they need!
    Laws were different several years ago. There were times when youhad to arrest someone to get them the help they needed. It was not the intent of the law to prosecute people for attempted suicide. An arrest was simply the means to get a person pointed in the right direction.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Cougarman
    It's my opinion that someone who is truly suicidal doesn't have to worry about any legal imbroglio concerning their proclivities.
    Somebody got a 'Word A Day' calendar.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

10-96
    Coin operated suicide machines.

nuff said

-web
    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Canadian Mountie
    I think the law (we have it here in Canada too) was established to give officer's the right to detain those contemplating/attempting to commit suicide and further prevent them from remaining in an unsupervised environment while help is located through a pshyciatric facility or suicide prevention organization.

Matt

No Longer Active

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Angel
    [B]I understand that Tennsix.
    Florida has a law

Forum Member

Thank you for your help.